No announcement yet.

Greeves Championship 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that Andrew, I'm looking for something similar.

Colin

Comment

The bike looks fabulous Andy.
      Ready to race just the way I like them.
      PS, mudguards look the business, must only be red ones that look out of place.

Either way, they certainly look better than my alloy ones after I have had to adjust them with a hammer to fit under the seat. Seriously thinking of fitting my old Preston Petty set.

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
        The bike looks fabulous Andy.
        Ready to race just the way I like them.
        PS, mudguards look the business, must only be red ones that look out of place.

Either way, they certainly look better than my alloy ones after I have had to adjust them with a hammer to fit under the seat. Seriously thinking of fitting my old Preston Petty set.
        Thanks, the photo is quite flattering! Notice there is no paint on the front loop. It was new old stock about 10 years ago, fitted hastily after a crash (not by me), and stayed on, un-painted.

Yes, you can't beat a set of Preston's finest plastic. Very tough.

Comment

360 challenger

I have a 360 Challenger and like Andy I fitted a kick start from Terry Weedy and I had to weld a piece of 1 '' x 1/8'' bar down the side and the curve. The compression was so high that my instep was always bruised from the kick backs.
          This problem was overcome by getting Simon Bateman to fit his electronic ignition system.
          The bike is now an easy starter and I have a new kick start from Terry which does not foul anything and allows a full swing.
          I hope to be toddling round after you fast chappies albeit a lap or two down either on the 360 or the 250 with my son on the one of his choice.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Norris View Post
            I have a 360 Challenger and like Andy I fitted a kick start from Terry Weedy and I had to weld a piece of 1 '' x 1/8'' bar down the side and the curve. The compression was so high that my instep was always bruised from the kick backs.
            This problem was overcome by getting Simon Bateman to fit his electronic ignition system.
            The bike is now an easy starter and I have a new kick start from Terry which does not foul anything and allows a full swing.
            I hope to be toddling round after you fast chappies albeit a lap or two down either on the 360 or the 250 with my son on the one of his choice.
            Mike
            Hi Mike,

Look forward to seeing you there. The more MX4s the better!

Cheers,
            Andrew

Comment

Andy - great news the MX4 is ready - it looks on the money - looking forward to seeing you at MAylandsea.......suggest you get your running in done in practice tho ....as you know that when that flag drops in race 1 the run in period is over

Mike - great news you will have two MX4's out along with your son - and to my reckoning that makes 4 Father son combo's now in the Championship !.......The Norris', Chappel's, Smith's and the Bell's - got to be a record !

Craig - re mudguard's - my Preston Petty's were pretty bashed and rough on my QUB - but I could not bear (the cost ) to replace them - so I tried some black car bumper plastic restorer spray - and now they look half decent again.......wouldn't win a concours but they look the part

Comment

Looking the part is the way to go.
                My son also wants to ride one of the Greeves I am rebuilding so lets go for breaking the record and get five father and son combo's.
                Just have to pull my finger out with the QUB

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                  Hi Colin,

The kickstart is from Terry Weedy, Avery products: http://www.terryweedy.com/index.html

Its not that good actually, as it hits the gear lever, and bends quite easily. Also, the ball which normally keeps it in it's parked position doesn't work very well and it end up flapping around mid-race, hence the rubber band holding it in!
                  The originals are best, but rare as hens teeth.

Cheers,
                  Andrew
                  Andrew a member (greeves246 I think?) told me that the kickstart from a Royal Enfield Bullet fits the Albion shaft.

The bike looks the biz.

David.

Comment

That's another proper 'working' Greeves!

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                    Finally ready!

Unlike some riders last week I will need to do some careful running in. I've warmed it up a few times in the garage cough, cough. I can't do it outside as I live very close to some stables. It would be great to ride it around a field for a while, but I don't know any friendly farmers.

Apologies to the alloy mudguard obsessives on here, but those mudguards have been on the bike for a very long time.

Andy! I really like your bike!

Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                      Andy! I really like your bike!

Brian.
                      Blimey, all this appreciation is a bit bewildering.
                      I can't take any credit for the bike's appearance, as it is more or less the same is was for many years when owned and raced by Dave Godley.
                      However, it is now fully mechanically sorted, apart from the front brake. New shoes are on their way from Terry Sewell, top geezer!

Comment

Good call on new brake shoes - I got complete set from Terry for my QUB front and rear - my front was rubbish before - and now I can actually brake into corners ....it's a new riding skill I need to acquire

Re your comment on a Maico conversion option............I am not convinced it is the way to go......costs of parts are not much cheaper than the parts from Nametab..........and the additional machining of the head etc all adds up!
                        Cheers Kim

Comment

What's stopping YOU......?

But brakes are for slowing down.....

.....just wait till you see dog, then back off...!!!

Andy...everyone like to see a Greeves that's being used....that's why!

bRiAn.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                            But brakes are for slowing down.....

.....just wait till you see dog, then back off...!!!

Andy...everyone like to see a Greeves that's being used....that's why!

bRiAn.

I've had a couple of close encounters with stout wooden track-marking posts in the past so I'm hoping decent brakes might help prevent this in the future. I'll probably go head first into them now!

Comment

Nice comeback Andy, subtle....!!!

Comment

Maylandsea slippery, fun and very eventful

................Not as Good as Andy's track comeback though Thommo !!

AN eventful meeting yesterday at Maylandsea - Conditions were slippery and the track cut up - to make it an interesting days racing.........I have some good footage of the three races - which I will upload - including a crash in race two - several dodgy overtaking manouvers - and some good racing action...........The pit action and banter, sausage rolls and pork pies were up to there usual standards as well !!

Let's start with Alan Boyce - he had an eventful day -crashed early on and broke his thumb - bravely (stupidly) carried on racing and crashed another two times.......but that wasn't the end of it..........He loaded up his van adn then we heard a crash......take a look at the picture !...maybe he should close the door next time
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X