TFS import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice looking bike

Looks like a good job your doing there. Where did you get the exhaust pipe from I have got a silencer like yours but need the front pipe ?

Comment

Originally posted by shelly View Post
      Looks like a good job your doing there. Where did you get the exhaust pipe from I have got a silencer like yours but need the front pipe ?
      There was one on eBay with a silencer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greeves-TE...p2047675.l2557
      Finished today but looks like it was unsold at £75. Worth contacting seller through eBay to see if he will take an offer.

Comment

The exhaust was made by Den at Tube Engineers
        http://www.tubeengineers.co.uk

I took the bike to the workshop and he made it in situ from drawings. I had two made one mild steel for originality and one in stainless for another TFS I have.
        If you do use them he should know exactly what is required now so should be quite straight forward. I have a few photos of the stages involved if required.

Comment

Rear alloy mudguard

There seems to be a shortage of rear alloy mudguards, most suppliers seem to be out of stock - anyone know who might have them in stock them?

Comment

From this to .....

I had a ride around the block, about 3 miles today after picking up the TFS Trail from Dave. I sure as Dave politely put it - it might have made his life easier if he had the bits before me I am sure there are some bits I got right. Anyway it has been a good project, particularly finding some of the more difficult parts. I sure that this bike will give a lot of pleasure, even if it does not get polished much

Comment

Mot

Just had an MOT done on the TFS Trail
              The tester did mention it should have secondary locking on the wheel nuts which I have never heard of before, apparently nyloc nuts would suffice
              Ready to send off for registration

Comment

Looks great Tony..

Pretty machine

Scott

Comment

You should have bought the other one I took to the AGM, then you could have a pretty one as well

Last edited by tony; 09/05/2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                    Just had an MOT done on the TFS Trail
                    The tester did mention it should have secondary locking on the wheel nuts which I have never heard of before, apparently nyloc nuts would suffice
                    Sounds like an MoT tester with a bee in his bonnet. Modern bikes don't have secondary locking on the wheel nuts, do they?
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Wheel nuts

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                      Sounds like an MoT tester with a bee in his bonnet. Modern bikes don't have secondary locking on the wheel nuts, do they?
                      Modern bikes & jap bikes of the 70s onwards usually have a split pin & castellated nut.
                      I got told about it by my MoT tester a couple of years back when I had replaced a rear wheel nut on my 1991 Yamaha T80 with a standard nut & no split pin. He did not fail it but as with Tony, pointed it out. The same tester has never queried my Greeves which of cause was manufactured with standard nuts. I assume if you look through the testers manual there is a date after which wheel nuts must be locking or secured in some way usually with a split pin or P clip
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 10/05/2016, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Can anyone research this date and further details?

Comment

I have a 2003 900 Benelli Tornado, and a 1995 Ducati 900ss, and neither of those have other than plain wheel spindle nuts. Sounds like a load of old toffee to me....

Comment

Tester manual

This is the relevant page in the testers manual.

Reason for rejection
                            a. a loose wheel spindle or securing nut(s) or locking device missing or insecure

Comment

Modern Axle/Wheel Nuts....

My Yamaha FZS1000S rear spindle has what appears to be a 'plain' nut, but on closer inspection it also has a metal locking insert, like this one.....http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/...82X/s-l225.jpg

A lot of modern bikes use these.....

(They are designed to be 're-useable' but always tighten them with a torque wrench to the correct factory spec.)

Brian.
                              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 10/05/2016, 06:27 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Tighten those nuts

Road or Competition the important thing is doing the nuts up tight. The thread forms will stand being tightened properly.

The MoT tester is being a bit over zealous. A call to VOSA will deliver an answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X