TFS import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver paint

Thanks Dave - My Grumph is sprayed with a silver which is used on the college vans which looks good, however I wanted Powder coating as it stands up to damage and ethanol better. The grumph tank has blistered where there was a little seep of fuel from one tap thread. What I need is the RAL silver colour which is nearest to the original colour.

Comment

Ypu will probably have to take a sample into a paint vendor to get it matched.

Comment

Tank back from Suffolk Stove Enamelers

Tank has just arrived back from being coated silver at Suffolk Stove Enamelers.

Where can I get the correct oval plastic Greeves transfer?

Comment

stickers

Tony

The standard Greeves Great Britain items available from the club will be spot on. There are two types, black on white, and moorland blue on white. I will have a look in the shed tomorrow.

Phil

Comment

Stickers #2.

'Classic Transfers' also do an excellent quality range of stickers suitable for Greeves; http://www.classictransfers.co.uk/pa...-h/greeves.php

Click the link above, then click on any of the images for a better look at the sticker/transfer (depending on model.)

Brian.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 25/11/2014, 09:05 AM. Reason: link added.

Comment

stickers

Tony

A suitable selection in the post tomorrow.

Phil

Comment

TFS Import

Thanks Phil

Comment

Air box and Angle of Joggle

Thanks to Kenny I now have the air box and the 1 inch handlebars and everything is hopefully off to Suffolk Stove Enamelers for a coat paint.
                  I am also in need of an air box for the Ranger and have decided to have ago at replicating one - with help from my mates.
                  The TFS and the Ranger both use part of the Scottish tool box as a primary part.

Obviously I do not want to chop up an original tool box so I thought maybe the reproduction one would do. Who cannot measure
                  The drawings show 3 inch internal diameter, the reproduction one is 1/8 inch smaller
                  I can tell just by looking it is smaller and the end caps are not right either.
                  After a trip around the nearest engineering businesses none of whom can roll that small my friend barely half a mile away said he can roll that small.
                  We had a roll and produced these

I am not sure about how to get the angle of the Joggle correct but at least it will be the correct diameter

Tomorrow I will help get them welded and cut a 3 1/2 inch length for the primary part. As for the end caps - a bit of trial and error. I have ordered from
                  Laser master a large deep washer (10mm) to see if I can press the shape with a slightly smaller disc on top If anyone has an idea on how to buy or replicate the 3 inch lid I would be grateful.

Comment

toolboxes

Back in the day, the club had a batch of tool boxes produced. At that time we used 3" diameter truck exhaust. The end caps were spun. We found a chap in Brum who churned out the necessary number of end caps in 0.75 mm mild steel.

The alternative to spinning would be a press tool. Probably too expensive a deal for low batch numbers.

Good luck with the project Tony.

Comment

A detachable end cap would only be required as a tool box, as its for an air filter housing just weld in a 3" dia disc, & as Phil says you could use standard 3" truck exhaust pipe for the tube part.

Comment

Tube

I could use 3" inch exhaust pipe but then the devil is in the detail and there are an awful lot of rivet counters out there. My engineering skills are pretty limited so small bits like this are a good challenge for me and enhance my knowledge - what with swaging my next favourite word is "Joggle" -

Comment

Bugger the rivet counters Tony, the most important thing is that it works efficiently as an air filter, its your bike you do it as you want. If you cant do the work yourself a local sheet metal firm should be able to fabricate one from Greeves drawings. Might be worth having a small batch done which you could sell off to other members.
                          Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/02/2015, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                            Bugger the rivet counters
                            Exactly what I was going to say, John!
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

I had an idea Terry Sewell was going to get some more toolboxes made up so someone must know how to produce the end caps. Can't remember who it was but I supplied a set of toolbox drawings.

Anyway, the end cap is made of 22 swg steel sheet. If using a press tool, start with a blank 4 7/32" diameter. The OD of the finished item should be 3 1/16" and 5/8" in height. For the rivet counters, the radius where the curve meets the side of the lid needs to be 1/16" but don't ask me how you measure that, it's one for the Master Anoraks!

I have a genuine toolbox plus a pattern one sitting side by side on the shelf so, out of interest, I will compare them.

Comment

tool box dimensions

Hi Rob

As you are aware the club had a batch of tool box shells made up way back. because of the slight variations in the bracketing they were sold as finished shells.

I still have one of these, so if you need any measurements let me know. As stated in earlier posts we specified commercially available truck exhaust pipe. This was seam welded, but once painted the seam disappeared . I guess Greeves would have bought these items in to their design. The spring arrangement was particularly clever.

Any way let me know if I can be of help.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                                X