TFS import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFS import

I 'won' the TFS import on ebay yesterday. Since the grumph is under going road tests and alterations I thought I would line a bike up for restoration. I already have the back light/number plate bracket, a greeves alloy speedo holder and front headlamp that looks to be a similar shape to the one in John's post. Mainly the engine parts to source. I was hoping to get to the meeting next week to scour the autojumble but unfortunately I am in Wales. As word of mouth is often the best route does any one have any TFS engine parts that they might be able to help with and are willing to sell?
    I am not in a rush but would just like to get all the bits in place before I start the rebuild.

TFS comes home

Good news Tony. Thanks for the picture.

I can't imagine that bits for the 32A Villiers will be too hard to come by. Not my field, but will keep a wethered eye open

Comment

Needs a Challenger head and barrel of course.

Alan Wright had one at Telford, but it wasn't cheap...
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

TFS Trail Import Progress

I have now taken apart the rolling chassis. The frame is in good condition and the engine cradle has cleaned up nicely.

As you can see there are a couple of bits that need some galvanise spray, not worth re galvanising as it would ruin the aged look.

I now have a barrel, head and gearbox so the bits I am short of are;

air filter - rear plate/box - I have the round alloy cover

exhaust and silencer

handlebars

Comment

Dented tank no more

The horribly dented tank had a quick visit to CW Classics - no dents anywhere now ?

On the TFS Trail would it be dull chrome plated or sprayed silver?

Comment

Dull chrome originally, but a painted silver finish would probably be the best answer. No doubt someone can give you the correct colour. Most restorers go that way, not sure you can get dull chrome done these days, and at an economical price, paint would be cheaper. Also if there are any small blemishes these can be filled before painting so wont show. For chrome surface needs to be perfect.

Comment

Hi john

Would that be " the satin chrome" ? process sand blast then chrome

Comment

Nearest silver paint to the original

What would be the nearest Silver paint colour -RAL to the original silver? Is there a silver powder coating that would look right?

Comment

Which head?

I had a head with the bike, but no barrel. I now have the barrel and two heads. Which is the correct one? The second which was with the barrel has a better face to match with the barrel and looks like the hole off centre hole was original.

Head with the engine

New head that came with the barrel

Is this the correct barrel?

Comment

headline.

Looks like the one you got with the bike is a scrambles head converted to twin plug.

The one you got with the barrel is correct as it has a decompressor position.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Correct Smiths Speedometer

This TFS Trail has a grey faced Smiths Speedometer displaying 120mph, is this the correct one?
                      Smiths did produce a 100mph version which would seem more appropriate as a 100mph would be dreaming and a 120mph scary

Comment

32A Villiers or 34A

On page 43 of Cycle World March 1966 edition the road test for the TFS Trail states -“The Greeves cylinder is bolted on to a Villiers 34A Crankcase/gearbox assembly”.

My TFS Trail has a 32A Villiers bottom end as does the other original one that I have seen that resides in Cambridge. Has the road test writer got it wrong? Or has mine and the other one had engine changes in the past?

Comment

Air box - TFS Trail import

I need to source an air box as shown in the picture. I have the alloy cover.
                          Was this standard on any other models? Has anyone got one to sell?
                          If not are there drawings for this?

Last edited by tony; 15/08/2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                            On page 43 of Cycle World March 1966 edition the road test for the TFS Trail states -“The Greeves cylinder is bolted on to a Villiers 34A Crankcase/gearbox assembly”.

My TFS Trail has a 32A Villiers bottom end as does the other original one that I have seen that resides in Cambridge. Has the road test writer got it wrong? Or has mine and the other one had engine changes in the past?
                            As far as I am aware the 32A & 34A crankcase & gearbox casings are the same. Its the cylinder barrels & heads that are different. ie 32A is a road/trials engine with Villiers S25 carb where as the 34A is the scrambles engine with Amal 389 carb. As the engine number is on the inner chain case this may have been changed to one with a 34A serial number, but I would have thought that as the TFS TRAIL is a derivative of the TFS TRIALS then it would have had the 32A trials engine, & the Cycle World writer got it wrong.
                            If there is a pic of the bike in the road test, you should be able to see if it has the Villiers or Amal carb.

Comment

Air box

Thanks for the reply John, I have the barrel/ head sorted. What I needed to know is the following.

I need to source an air box as shown in the picture. I have the alloy cover.
                              Was this standard on any other models? Has anyone got one to sell?
                              If not are there drawings for this?

Comment

Working...
                              X