Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair problems.....

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
    Can I also add a big thanks to Brian, I have already printed the gearbox drawing A1 size. A bit blurred but great for the garage wall and don't need my glasses to see it.
    As I have said before, my intention is to get both bikes fired up and make sure new pistons and rebores and clutch set up are ok with a quick strip down and inspection after running them for a few hours. During the strip down if the gearboxes are dodgy then I will send them off to Sir Nunn if he can help.

I got the exhausts back from the blasters today so pictures tomorrow or Sunday of them in place. Although my son got me a dvd of the new "On any Sunday" film so might not get as much done as I plan
    Going to look at the mud guards now Brian.
    Also really enjoying the photo's of the legend BW. Thanks Brian.

Craig
    Hi Craig, Dave,

My pleasure Craig, and thanks for the nice words mate - glad recent postings were of use and well received.

You guys though....honestly......

Anyway, you think you've got 'hair problems'......???!!! I took Nigel for a trim the other day and he came back rockin' a 'Joey Essex' 'do' !! As you can tell from pic 1, he ain't happy at all....won't speak, won't eat......the poor b***r....I've told him it'll grow out...I've told him to just use more Brylcreem, but that doesn't work either, because he just licks it all off (he likes the taste....)....

What can I do chaps......any tips to share?

Note; Craig, you'd better read this to see how all this emu drivel started, in case you were wondering....and have nowt better to do o'course....!! http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=2595

bRiAn.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/03/2015, 10:57 AM. Reason: Pics attached, and extra drivel.....!!

Comment

• Seat recovery

I needed the seat off my 250 challenger recovering. It has thicker padding, that is why I sit down to bring up the rear of the field.
      I took it to Leightons in Birmingham.When the chap opened the door and saw the seat his first words were that is off a Greeves Challenger.
      I have had the bike for about 20 years and he had recovered it before I bought the bike.
      He rang me after he had stripped the seat and told me the pan needed some repair which he did.
      I am very satisfied with the result so when you chaps go roaring past me you can think that old man has a comfortable seat and that is why he is sitting down toddling round.
      Mike

Comment

• Nice to be hear that you may be making your come-back, Mike. Does that mean that we might be competing for the "slow-bicycle" points in the Greeves rounds, if I make (another!) comeback too, this year? Bet I can go slower than you, old mate!
        PS Apologies for hi-jacking another (!) thread, but wanted to have say #200 on this particular one, but Craig wouldn't let me ........ a neat bit of work there, Craig!! Well done, all, for keeping it on the straight and narrow as far as you have!
        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 09/03/2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• Sorry John, you are one short. This is number 200

Comment

• Craig u won that one - now back to the QUB thread

I mentioned the new chain tensioner in an earlier post - here are a couple of closeup's . The tensioner pretty much fits direct onto a Griffon off a YZ 250f or 125 up to year 2006 (the yam not the Griff ) - on mine i just cut a small part of the plate away and the holes line up perfectly .

This type of tensioner works well - and requires a slack chain.....feeding onto the rear sprocket - and avoids any chance of the chain escaping the sprocket - but because chain is slack - it will rub on swinging arm mounts - hence the raised protector made out of an old rubber carb inlet manifold and some packing material.
            Cheers Kim
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Kim275; 09/03/2015, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• Finishing touches..........

I tried out the QUB up and down the drive - it ran well - but clutch was heavy ...............now knowing it unlikely that Geoff Nunn hadn't rebuilt my clutch to perfection...I applied some of Higgo's EMU oil to the cable.....it made a difference - so proceeded with a full transfusion - with the assistance of multiple cable ties and some push bike chain oil - et volia - clutch is a smooth as.
              Attached Files

Comment

• It'll be even smoother, Kim, when you replace those cable ties with a pukka clutch cable .............

Comment

• hopeful comeback

Hello John. My son Mark has decided to try and see if his knees can take the punishment again after many operations and about 10 years off bikes so we are preparing the 2 challengers and I expect Mark H will bring his challenger.
                  I will let those 2 race whilst I trundle round a lap or two behind.
                  I have missed the banter, fun and friendship over the last 3 years.
                  See you soon.
                  Mike

Comment

• Thanks Mike, in which case I will try to make another (?) comeback, too.
                    Hope to see you all again soon.

Thanks, too, you Griffon thread-owners ............ you can have it back, now!

Comment

• Griffon Gearbox Drawing.

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                      Can I also add a big thanks to Brian, I have already printed the gearbox drawing A1 size. A bit blurred but great for the garage wall and don't need my glasses to see it.
                      Hey Craig,

I've just uploaded a 'cleaned up' version of the gearbox drawing with you in mind. See this thread, post#16, pic 3; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...3487#post23487

I was hoping you could try another A1 print and see if it comes out any better for you. It probably won't be all that much of an improvement at that magnification, but at least it might be a bit clearer. See what you reckon, and let me know how it turns out.

Brian.
                      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 14/03/2015, 11:43 AM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

• Thanks Brian,
                        Have been away these past four days and now sitting in Heathrow waiting for another flight to Miami. I will print when I get back on Friday and also print some more pictures and words on the rebuild.
                        I am glad this has turned into a Griffon thread, after all, it is "The Griffon Riders Association" after all.

Comment

• This is the 250cc.
                          All thats left is to get an alloy back mud guard to fit, recover the seat and fit the handlebar grips.
                          Should be ready to start at the weekend. I might even resort to plastic

If someone can help explain how to post a video I will post that as well once its running.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Here is the QUB.
                            I started this one first but it is behind the 250cc in getting finished. Reason is it started of in boxes so much harder to rebuild. (many missing parts etc)
                            Some of the things left to do are,
                            fabricate exhaust front pipe
                            upholster seat
                            sort out clutch pushrod (i think)
                            drill and tap primary chain case
                            possibly fit new version of motoplat as spark is very weak??
                            fix gearbox selection problem (have second or neutral at the moment)
                            and all the rest
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Is that the time already!

Hi craig, lagging a bit aren`t we......., ref the g/box, if you take the flat back cover off, this will give you access to the cam plate & you will be able to see your selector forks in relation to the ident postitions on the camplate.
                              This will show up what your engagement problem is.......
                              Now put the whiskey down & get on with it............

Comment

• Thanks Dave,
                                Bloody flat back cover is stuck between gearbox and crankcases
                                Engine out and gearbox split
                                I think Sir Nunn might get a call if I go that far.
                                I think I will finish the rest of the bike before taking the engine out or I will never get the QUB finished.

Oh well, really should have done it right before I put the engine in.

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Now where did I put that whisky ????

Comment

Working...
                                X