Griffon QUB rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is "Greeves rebuild dog"
    Carb in place and rear mudguard trial fit.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by griffon380; 05/12/2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Looks like the project is taking shape nicely. Looking good

.......re Carbs on the QUB - the Amal 1034 is notorious for slide sticking/poor quality - I had more probs with this than with the Amal 932 on my 250 griff or on my MDS ........I spent money getting my 1034 re valved and overhauled - and well...like most of the pre-74 Greeves bikes (but not all ) I have ended up running a VM Mikuni (on my QUB).
      I also switched to an Amal mk 2 on my 250 griff which works well.........In fact talking this over with Dave Harper most riders did this swap in early 70's and he used to fit Mikuni's to the factory bikes - so choice is originality vs reliability ......

p.s if u need Amal 1034 spares...i have plenty ...

BTW Terry @ TDS has some really nice Talon Griffon rear sprockets if you need to replace ..... (not cheap but nice)
      Cheers Kim

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
        Why build one when you can build two at a time
        I have decided to build the 250 to fill in the gaps between ordering and receiving parts. Its a 73 Griffon so has black frame and alloy tank I think?? Going by Colin's new book anyway.
        The bike has new top end but like the 380 I am worried about the gearbox internals being worn. Guess I will find out soon enough on the first test ride.
        I can only dream of having a garage as well-organised as this!
        Hats off to you, sir.
        Attached Files

Comment

Craig....meet the girls.......
          Attached Files

Comment

Is that one of the Neval griffons or just a bit of fin trimming?

Comment

Well spotted....

Comment

Supermodels

Best looking. Girls in town Higgo . Hope they are also fast ladies !

Comment

Remove 50% of the cooling surface and it runs cooler!! I guess its the same idea as CCM used on their BSA based engines less likely to clog with mud

Comment

Kim.... fast ladies....as sid james would say.....i`ve had no complaints so far.....
                    Gribley...cz used to use the same method i guess it comes down to the finning materials ability to retain heat.....
                    Last edited by dave higgins; 06/12/2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

The Griffon motor certainly looks - for want of a better word - "mean" with the reduced fin count. Very nice!

David.

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                        Here was me thinking I was doing a good job on my restorations and you have to go and show me your girls. Fabulous

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                          Looks like the project is taking shape nicely. Looking good

.......re Carbs on the QUB - the Amal 1034 is notorious for slide sticking/poor quality - I had more probs with this than with the Amal 932 on my 250 griff or on my MDS ........I spent money getting my 1034 re valved and overhauled - and well...like most of the pre-74 Greeves bikes (but not all ) I have ended up running a VM Mikuni (on my QUB).
                          I also switched to an Amal mk 2 on my 250 griff which works well.........In fact talking this over with Dave Harper most riders did this swap in early 70's and he used to fit Mikuni's to the factory bikes - so choice is originality vs reliability ......

p.s if u need Amal 1034 spares...i have plenty ...

BTW Terry @ TDS has some really nice Talon Griffon rear sprockets if you need to replace ..... (not cheap but nice)
                          Cheers Kim
                          Thanks Kim,
                          I would like to godown the Mikuni route. Can you please point me in the right direction for supply and jet size etc.
                          Also need at least one sprocket so will contact TDS for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                            I can only dream of having a garage as well-organised as this!
                            Hats off to you, sir.
                            Hi Andy, careful use of camera angles only. You want to see the mess on the other side of the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                              so busy looking at those English Beauties - that i nearly missed the ugly Fraulein in the background !!

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                                Thanks Kim,
                                I would like to godown the Mikuni route. Can you please point me in the right direction for supply and jet size etc.
                                Also need at least one sprocket so will contact TDS for that.
                                Craig - specs can be found in this old thread - I bought mine off a mate......but sure there are plenty of suppliers for Mikuni's - Chaps - any favourite or trusted Mikuni suppliers?

Comment

Working...
                                X