No announcement yet.

1965 ISDT MX2 Challenger project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Additional info: John Pease rode on plate no 124, using UPA23F.
    Attached Files

Comment

The UPA bikes were the ones "built" by Comerfords & had ceriani forks as standard .

They looked nothing lke the one "restored" by Chelmsford Greeves . Which is rip off lookalike of the original Challenger Six day bikes .

Chris

Comment

Great photos and information Brian - I am glad the UPA21F greeves has been 'restored' (even if it is somewhat different from the original) and I hope mine turns out just as nice when finished.

I was wondering what the small 'V' means on the number plate (Vase Team?) and 'T' as I have seen them on a few of the ISDT bikes. I presume that mine does not have a V or T as it was ridden by a privateer. Thanks Paul

Comment

Correct Paul ,

V for Vase & T for trophy . Nothing for a privateer .

The four Comerfords bikes were assembled in the Greeves Comp Shop and went to Comerfords for the final titivation and to have the Comerfords name painted on the tanks .

I built the four engines , two 250 & two over 250 , once the engines were done I helped with the assembly at Greeves of the bikes.

There is a chap in the GRA who has my old engine spec book with all the details on the four engines .

Paul , your bike should look very much like the rebuilt UPA but not so shiny please

Chris

Comment

Paul ,

Didn't see your bit about the Sackville throttle , yes the Stormer twistgrip is one , you aren't missing anything , the one in the photo by Brian shows a different grip or a donut hand protector .

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris - I do not own a polishing wheel so I doubt it will be 'like new' again plus it will have a few bumps and scratches that comes with any bike that is 45 + years old I will put the Gunner Gasser on my AJS Stormer and save the Sackville throttle for the Greeves. I have to confess that it came with a donut hand protector but it was all torn up so I binned it.

FYI there is an excellent blog for anyone that is interested in ISDT motorcycles and Cheney Triumph in particular. It has lots of old photos of various ISDT events and information.

see http://cheney-isdt.tumblr.com/

Paul

Comment

Here is a photo of the Greeves Challenger in action and ridden by Dale 'Punch' Deyo in the 1965 Isle of Man ISDT.

Paul
                Attached Files

Comment

Swing arm bolt question

Hi all,

My MX2 challenger is slowly coming together and I am preparing the frame for paint.

I would like to ask what size/type die do I need to make a new swing arm spindle? Are the end nuts British Cycle or BSF? I would like to keep it all original spec.

Many thanks,

Paul
                  Attached Files

Comment

Swinging arm spindle threadform

Paul

5/8" UNF (18 TPI) comes to mind. From memory the UNF threadform was the same as ANF in your part of the world.

Phil

Comment

Phil is correct 5/8" UNF ( AF).

Chris

Comment

Many thanks Phil and Riflegreen - I have just ordered the correct size die.

For anyone in the USA that is looking for any British bolts, tools or fasteners, I can recommend http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php
                        They are very helpful and and have a useful website.

Paul
                        Last edited by pgc40; 27/10/2011, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Stefa magneto cover wanted

Hi everyone,

My ISDT project is progressing well and is back from paint and I have begun going through the engine but I am missing the aluminium magneto cover for the Stefa ignition. It is 5" diameter (to accommodate the lighting coils)instead of the smaller MX challenger cover so I wondered if a Silverstone one would fit? Many thanks for your help, Paul

Comment

Steffa cover

Paul,
                            I'm afraid the cover you require was only used on that model. The Silverstone one was the same as the MX one, i.e. smaller for the standard points set up.
                            You could try one of the motoplat covers used on the enduro (with lights) version.
                            The alternative is to use what's available i.e. small ally camping saucepans etc, or even make your own grp one.

Druid

Comment

Thanks for your help Druid, I shall try making a GRP magneto cover and in the meantime look for a alloy camping saucepan that is the same size. I like your thinking - if I breakdown or get stuck in the mud I can use the saucepan to boil some water and make a cup of tea

Comment

Steffa cover

Paul,

Breakdown?? - get stuck in the mud?? It's a Greeves these thing don't happen.
                                I would suggest that if you do use a camping saucepan you remove the handle before fitting to your bike. Once you've removed the handle it does make it difficult to use it for its original duty.

Druid

Comment

Working...
                                X