1965 ISDT MX2 Challenger project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Job!

Many congratulations Paul, and well done!

A very nicely executed and sympathetic restoration, the bike is a great credit too you mate.

Brian.

Comment

Thanks Brian - good to hear from you again m8! I could not have done the ISDT restoration without the help of everyone on the GRA forum. I'm looking forward to riding the bike this summer Cheers Paul

Comment

MX2 kidney shaped gearbox rebuild help

Hi everyone - before I dive into the albion gearbox, I wondered if anyone had the article in Leading Link #86 (February 1999) detailing the strip down procedure that they would like to share with me or know where I can obtain a copy?

Interestingly, I discovered my lighting coils on the ISDT challenger work but the lights are very dim Is this normal or should I run the front and rear lights off separate coils. I have my lighting working off just the one coil at the moment and ignition off another. I have a total of 3 coils in the Stefa magneto.

Many thanks Paul

Comment

My guess is that, originally, the ignition would have been built to use 2 of the coils, on a run and reserve basis, with the "not really needed except for scrutineering" lighting system using the third. Remember, these were supposed to be road equipped motocross bikes, not trail bikes! How you wish to put yours together is up to you, does the bike need to conform to any spec for registration?

Comment

Thanks Brian and Marcelle - I think you are both correct about the lighting coils. The 3rd coil is probably a backup coil. I do not plan on riding at night so dim lighting should n't be a problem and I already have the registration and licence plate so I do not need to have the bike DOT inspected to be road legal. Thank you Buzzer also for providing a copy of the leading link gearbox strip article. Thanks again for all your help. Paul

Comment

Hello all - I thought I would share these two photos of the original owner and ISDT rider, Dale Deyo. The first photo was taken shortly after Dale returned from the IoM 1965 ISDT. The second photo shows Dale on the same Greeves MX2 Challenger taken a couple of days ago (May 2012). Dale is now 85 years old (his friend who rode a Triumph in the 1965 ISDT is in the background) and they both still live in Idaho. Dale went on later to ride subsequent ISDT's (Germany and Poland on a Bultaco and a MZ) and had some fantastic stories to tell.

The bike now runs great and the gearbox and clutch issues have been fixed (thanks to GRA members!!). I rode the Greeves recently on the Bonehead Enduro, which is a 70 mile loop around the Cascade Mountains near Seattle, Washington and it never missed a beat and was a blast to ride

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help and support. Cheers, Paul
              Attached Files
              Last edited by pgc40; 24/05/2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Brilliant! Great to know the original rider has been re-united with the bike, and that it is still doing the business, not hidden away!

Comment

Thank you Don Heath and Brian Thompson for the GRA photo archive. It is a fantastic resource for anyone doing a restoration project and/or interested in Greeves motorcycle history.

I discovered a 1965 photograph of number 152 ISDT Greeves Challenger which shows that my bike came with a tyre inflator bottle and a British license number NHK 11C.

Are there any suppliers who can reproduce the rear aluminium license plate and front mudguard decals?

Can I still license the bike in the UK using this registration number? I would like to obtain any paperwork that can tie the license plate, date of manufacture, frame number and engine number together.

Many thanks, Paul
                  Attached Files

Comment

Paul, to register the bike (or in this case re-reg), you would almost certainly have to have the bike tested by an authorised test station (MOT). Getting a new plate made commercially is also now a bit difficult, as anti-cloning legislation should prevent you from ordering a plate without the V5 (vehicle logbook). Most of these bikes used stick-on numbers on stick-on backings which were made up at home from individual numbers which are still available. I'm sure someone will PM you with tips on this subject...
                    Last edited by Brian Catt; 07/07/2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

GRA Photo Archive Discs.

Hi Paul,

Glad you're enjoying the discs, and great that you managed to find one of your bike!

Can I just clarify though that I had nothing to do with the discs production. All credit for this project is due to Don Heath and the GRA Committee of course, and I appreciate that you're just refering to me helping to facilitate your purchase. Anytime Paul, my pleasure!

Brian.

Comment

I have attached a photo of the pre-production MX2 airbox that Kenny (bearingman) is working on. Preliminary fitting and is looking great! Thanks Kenny

PS Thank you Brian Catt for the information on British number plates. I am still looking for some place that can make the rear plate and front decals but given the excellent and detailed info you provided, I may have a go at making my own.

Cheers Paul
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pgc40 View Post
                          I have attached a photo of the pre-production MX2 airbox that Kenny (bearingman) is working on. Preliminary fitting and is looking great! Thanks Kenny

PS Thank you Brian Catt for the information on British number plates. I am still looking for some place that can make the rear plate and front decals but given the excellent and detailed info you provided, I may have a go at making my own.

Cheers Paul
                          Hi Paul,

I sectioned and made clearance for the exhaust, which I'll re-glass this week. I'm thinking I should ship your air box up to you to confirm that it now fits tight against the mount and backbone of the frame. If all looks good I'll then do the final skim coat, primer and make the mold for my bike. After that I'll spray the final coat.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Regards,
                          Kenny

Comment

gary gwillam

hi kenny real find that !!! you have some rare bikes !

Comment

Any idea what 'SFC' stamped on my clutch cover case means?
                              Attached Files

Comment

First ride in 2013

I thought I would post a couple of photos of my progress so far.

I replaced the 15 tooth front countershaft sprocket and fitted a 17 tooth one from Terry Sewell and discovered I had a 1st gear Thanks Terry!

I am having the 80 mph smiths speedo bracket welded onto my top fork yoke next week so I will be able tell how fast I am going.

I have yet to make the tail light bracket and drill holes for the chain guard and fit the front number plate.

Paul
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X