1965 ISDT MX2 Challenger project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project update

Hi Folks - I thought I would post a photo of the ISDT Challenger so far. Lots done since my last post eg paint, rebore, new bushes, new Hagon shocks, new tyres etc...engine going back in this weekend Cheers Paul
    Attached Files

Comment

That is looking very nice.

Just 1 question :

How do you keep your workshop so clean?

Cheers
      Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin - lol you have n't seen my shed. It looks like a bomb has hit it The missus wants her dining room back for christmas. She said that she is tired of stepping over motorcycle parts to get to the lounge. What she does nt know was that I washed a load of parts in the dish washer yesterday when she was out. It worked really well

Comment

Originally posted by pgc40 View Post
          Thanks Colin - lol you have n't seen my shed. It looks like a bomb has hit it The missus wants her dining room back for christmas. She said that she is tired of stepping over motorcycle parts to get to the lounge. What she does nt know was that I washed a load of parts in the dish washer yesterday when she was out. It worked really well
          I thought, (like everyone on here) that dishwashers were made for this purpose, it is only the fairer sex that have found another use for them

Hope your missus (& mine) doesn't read this

Comment

Last time I tried something like that I was deafened by the noise, I think I got the spin speed wrong....

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
              Last time I tried something like that I was deafened by the noise, I think I got the spin speed wrong....
              Well at least you didn't have to dry them
              Last edited by cray; 18/12/2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

lol... and your parts were wrinkle free and smelled of fabric softener

Comment

This was why I failed DE3 (Domestic Engineer 3rd class)

Comment

Hi again and happy New Year to one and all,

I thought I would share a couple of photos of my Greeves ISDT with the engine in. I hope its not too shiny for you Chris

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows where I can find a replacement clutch cable with the threaded elbow adjuster? (where it attaches to the gearbox).

The sauce pan for the magneto cover is still on the back burner (please forgive the pun) but I think I may have found someone who will make me one....see http://www.cottonvilliersspares.co.uk/ They have remanufactured a batch of polished reproduction stefa covers for the standard MXers from spun aluminium (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2509603226...84.m1423.l2649) and so I am hoping that they can supply me with the slightly larger size cover to fit my ISDT

I still have lots of work to do and it will be interesting to find out if the 4 speed Albion gearbox and the original lighting coils work once I have the motor running. Cheers Paul
                    Attached Files

Comment

Paul ,

Looks good , do you have the quick release parts for the wheel spindles ?.

Chris

Comment

hi Chris - yes I have the quick release parts for the wheel spindles but just have n't put them on yet. Paul

Comment

Hi Paul ,

That is good , it's all the special bits like that make a Six Day bike .
                          Chris

Comment

A great pity they didn't go all the way and make a proper QD back wheel. That would have helped many times in ISDTs, not the least where I photoed AKB in Italy once.

Comment

Hi Brian - just wondered what a QD wheel was? Please forgive my ignorance as I have yet more questions...

1. I have fabricated a set of alloy brackets to mount the front 'pelican' type fiberglass mudguard and have cut up a rubber inner tube to provide some grip to the fork legs when tightened without damaging the paint. I wondered what others had done? (see first photo)

2. The gearbox studs (I made myself as the original threads were stripped) that bolt to the rear frame mount has a 1/4" gap. Is this correct? (see second photo)

I discovered that the gearbox functions and I have a nice spark from the coil Many thanks for your help. Paul
                              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul ,

QD is quickly detachable , something not easily done with the British Hub .

You are on the right lines with the mudguard brackets , helps the guard grip the legs .

There should be no gap at the gearbox nuts , they should be tight to the gearbox case , they are what holds it together .

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X