Greeves Silverstone suitability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help John,

Shame that 24MDS frame in the S'stone replica is not the year of make I was hoping for. It's not advertised for sale now but I have kept in touch with the seller in case his viewers don't buy it.

The 1960 framed R'reg S'stone is still available but a lot dearer. However they said a PX with the EV is not out of the question, we will see.

Cheers
    Lance

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      Thats the Supe Soco electric bike? I had a demo ride on their large CPX scooter last year, quite impressed by its general performance, but at ?5000 for the dual battery version, a range of only 60 miles before recharge (Soco say 85 miles but in a road test on Youtube the lady rider only got about 30 miles on one battery), ?1500 for ONE replacement battery(and yes they will loose their efficiency after a year or so & range will be reduced) so it was a big no no for me. You can buy a good 125cc petrol one for half that. Yours looks like the TC MAX top speed only 60mph and range 60 miles (I think you will be lucky to get that if it has only one battery. You say its rare for you to loose money on your bikes,I think you will take a big hit on the Soco when you sell it. I asked the dealer about trade ins and he said that after about 5 years life it would be traded in for scrappage allowance against a new one, thats around ?750 per year depreciation assuming you get around ?500 scrappage allowance. 5 Years life! how green is that and how much carbon has been produced in its manufacture. Electric bikes no thanks.
      As far as the range goes I thought it depended on the cable length, plus the other problem with a 'lecky bike is it's OK on the outward trip but returning can cause the cable to wrap round the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBob View Post
        Thanks for the help John,

Shame that 24MDS frame in the S'stone replica is not the year of make I was hoping for. It's not advertised for sale now but I have kept in touch with the seller in case his viewers don't buy it.

The 1960 framed R'reg S'stone is still available but a lot dearer. However they said a PX with the EV is not out of the question, we will see.

Cheers
        Lance

Its well over priced, a right basket case, you would be well advised to leave it, I will say no more. Personally I cant see the problem with a B suffix plate, you ride the bike not the number! Also it would represent a true period number rather that the so called age related numbers being issued by DVLA without a year identifier. The MDS replica does look a serious conversion to a Silverstone and at a sensible price and the difference in price would allow money to buy a cherished plate maybe with your initials which you could then transfer to one of your other vehicles when you eventually sell the Greeves.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 15/01/2023, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Wise words John,
          I have to confess being a fan of dateless registrations, I have a few on my fleet bar one, all cheapies and nothing special mainly from NI.
          General questions for anyone.
          I've read somewhere the Silverstone used thinner wall tubes than the Scrambler or Trials frame, is this a fact?
          Also is the Alloy beam section bolted to the top tube, it looks like it is?

Tony,
          I'm still working on a witty reply to your obs' about lecky bikes
          Last edited by BillyBob; 18/01/2023, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Top tube is cast into alloy beam on all models

Comment

You need elastic trickery!

Comment

I need to keep up with PM's and thread replies, is there a tick box somewhere to activate/subscribe?
                Cheers

Comment

Still searching but running out of time.

Can someone please identify this gearbox, I think it's an Albion or Villiers.. And as I require a kicker there would appear to be a blanked off case hole where a kick start shaft might/would have been at some time. Can it be converted back to kick operation?

Cheers

Click image for larger version  Name:	Albion Gearbox maybe.png Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	95019
                  Last edited by BillyBob; 15/07/2023, 04:36 PM. Reason: info added

Comment

That's an invar car box, not easy to convert the outer case, but a normal one will fit straight on

Comment

That would make sense as to why the gearbox outer covers I have been looking at while trying to identify the gearbox all had the hole for the kick start shaft blanked off. The vehicle would have been started by other means!
                      So the gearbox to replace it would need to be from a motorbike and be a Villiers.
                      Cheers

Comment

This is the bike in question a right piece of junk.https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...ike-cafe-racer Still for sale with STAV Bikes for just under 7000 GBP https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295812435922?
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 16/07/2023, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Can't open the first link, not a GRA member but ebay link works. It's 1k less elsewhere BTW.
                          What do GRA members reckon is wrong with the Stav bike. I agree it is far from "mint" and the Bacon slicers are naf.
                          But with time running out till the Manx, It is road registered and would be usable for my limited needs even without converting to kickstart and it runs.

Cheers

Comment

​This is my post from the eBay posting. Frame number according to DVLA is 59/2462 a 1959 24DB. That frame is not a DB much later, modified TES TFS MDS etc. The bike is a ringer as the reg number appears to be from a genuine 24DB.
                            Beam/toptube assy looks to be from an MDS like the one pictured below. also attached pic of frame number which is not Greeves font​. These are the obvious issues, there may be others. The asking price is way above what the bike is worth, presumably it takes into account the value of the number plate 53 EUP

Frame number 59/2462 was dispatched to Hocking & Peacock, Shildon with engine number 864B502 on 12/8/59
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/07/2023, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Here are pics of the bike taken from the current eBay listing
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/07/2023, 09:27 AM.

Comment

JohnW,
                                PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                                X