X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Silverstone suitability

Hi,
    Let me start with some info'
    I like to take a small/light bike with us when we go to the Manx so I can get to my Marshal point. I'm running out of options for bikes as I've taken a few different types over the years.
    This was 2019 visit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Peel-Camping-2019.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	92999

So I was wondering about a Silverstone. Am I crazy?
    Here a some starters to follow the above question about my sanity.
    A bike with an original frame would be the lightest I presume but what do they weigh, around 85Kg? This is from my searches on the interweb.
    Is it obvious if a Trials or Scrambler frame has been used for a replica/copy? I know the racer frame indent is R?S, is this only stamped on the down frame section?
    At 73 I think I am fit enough to push or paddle start one If it wasn't to highly tuned, but would converting to kickstart be a good idea?
    Registered for the road, I'm not too concerned about at present.

I've seen some bikes for sale but not seen one in the flesh, and I know of one quite close to me not for sale, but I know the owner from teenage biker days so I'm off for a gander.
    Any links for me to read or anybody been down this road please, have a say.

Cheers
    Seasons Greetings
    Lance

Crazy - you could try wearing a straight jacket to save the rest of us from your obvious madness.
    Joking aside I can't think of a less suitable machine for you requirements.
    The Silverstone is a short circuit racer with high gearing and a narrow powerband so totally unsuited to road traffic use.
    Fitting a kick start would require a different gearbox to the one fitted.
    Greeves did manufacture several 'enduro' models which would be much more suited for your use as they have wider ratio gears, kick start and lights and are still relatively light in weight.

Comment

Good advice there Tony, a trials bike would be the lightest and most suitable for getting around the island in between races and to marshaling positions (I assume 'Billy Bob' that you are marshalling.) Something like the one pictured.There are usually a few for sale on eBay. Look foir a 1959 to 61 TA TAS TDS or TCS
      Attached Files
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/12/2022, 05:49 PM.

Comment

TFS Trail, excellent condition- just the job
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Is that for sale, Tony? It looks ideal.

Comment

Yes for sale Ian

Comment

I have to agree with Tony, it's a bonkers idea. However...........I seem to remember my RDS weighed in at 102kg wet. An RAS is likely a bit lighter. With the old Stefa magneto you can start a well tuned Silverstone in 4 paces. A Griffon clutch would be mandatory if you want a fighting chance of getting through a couple of weeks of road-closing traffic without frying it. A 54 tooth rear sprocket would help low speed operation. An idiotic idea.......but on the other hand, who would want to ride a trials bike around the Island?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinLS View Post
                ...but on the other hand, who would want to ride a trials bike around the Island?
                There are some good green lanes on the Island, dont forget the ISDT was held there in 1965 and 1975

Comment

plenty of people use the Green Lanes to get around whilst the road closures are in place so the Trials may make far more sense??

Comment

Still not put off.yet.
                    Did the Green lanes one year on a Yam' TTR250 as a spectator before I started Marshalling, very gingerly though I was on me own.
                    Peel to Rhencullen is 22miles there and back plus maybe a lap of the course for some photo opps at Ramsey Hairpin, the Creg and back via Peel Castle is the extent of my biking. Other days we go off in the Toad with the dogs.
                    I was hoping the weight of a Silverstone would be a lot less than 100kg which is my limit on the MoHo. I have yet to weigh a S'stone so that may be the decider.
                    One of the bikes I know of is road registered and the other has an engine they use in Karts, which I could sell and fit a more useable similar engine with a kick start.
                    Lights, who needs lights, one year I took a Skyteam Ace that I converted to a Cafe Racer without lights and one evening practice things got delayed so I just rode between two other Marshalls back to Peel, down the coast road of course.

Not far from me my mate has a RES which he probably won't sell but at least I can view it and weight it.

If all fails I have a back up, in the dare I say on here, a TCmax EV I bought to do the job, 80kg without the removable battery. But I'd rather take a racer as this might be our last visit to the ManxGP.
                    +++++++++++++++++It's the 100th next year BTW+++++++++++++++++.

Hope they have finished building the new ferry we are booked on as well.

I'll keep you in the picture.

Comment

I took my DT 175 Yamaha Enduro bike one year as a runaround bike, went all the way from Peel to Ramsey up the beach when the roads were close, and remember you can push start a Silverstone to make it go but it will fall over when you stop.......... Peter

Comment

[QUOTE=BillyBob;n93044]
                        +++++++++++++++++It's the 100th next year BTW+++++++++++++++++.

My first MGP in 1973 was the 50th Golden Jubilee race - on a Greeves Silverstone 24RDS, I went off at no2.
                        Sadly the Silverstone succumbed to a slipping clutch and my friend Eric Piner to the stone wall at Douglas bend just ahead of me on the road by then.
                        And I still say it is unsuitable for your needs.
                        Still, each to his own.
                        Sadly the modern MGP is a pale shadow of its' old self.

Last edited by tonyed27; 21/12/2022, 03:47 PM.

Comment

A 24RAS Silverstone weighs in at 189 kilos so way over the weight limit for your van https://cybermotorcycle.com/marques/...ilverstone.htm even a Honda 90 step through weighs in at 85 kilos

Comment

189kg wow, that's not right.
                            "Seat height 28" Wheelbase 50" Handlebar width 23" Weight 189 lbs"

Comment

Sorry typo should be 85.729 kilos so about the same as C90. So a Sliverstone is lighter than a trials bike, ie 24TES weighs in at 222 lb (100.698 kilos) just over the limit for your van.
                              Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/12/2022, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X