Greeves Silverstone suitability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonyed27 View Post
    +++++++++++++++++It's the 100th next year BTW+++++++++++++++++.

My first MGP in 1973 was the 50th Golden Jubilee race - on a Greeves Silverstone 24RDS, I went off at no2.
    Sadly the Silverstone succumbed to a slipping clutch and my friend Eric Piner to the stone wall at Douglas bend just ahead of me on the road by then.
    And I still say it is unsuitable for your needs.
    Still, each to his own.
    Sadly the modern MGP is a pale shadow of its' old self,
    You and anyone who risk all on the Mountain Circuit have my greatest repect, Chapeau to you all, (and you think my idea is crazy).
    I've read about EricP and his Douglas Road Corner crash, very sad, I pass it on my way through Kirk Michael from Peel.

Merry Xmas

Comment

The later Bikes RBS onwards are heavier, about 100kg, bigger brakes , heavier gearbox and clutch. Still totally unsuitable for road use. Apart from narrow powerband and restricted steering lock, the maintenance alone would prohibit its use. I have an RAS as well as RCS and RFS and I suppose the RAS could be altered with Road gears and piston as well as being the lightest.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBob View Post

You and anyone who risk all on the Mountain Circuit have my greatest repect, Chapeau to you all, (and you think my idea is crazy).
        I've read about EricP and his Douglas Road Corner crash, very sad, I pass it on my way through Kirk Michael from Peel.

Merry Xmas

Due to the clutch slip right from the off - I had not experienced it at all in practice, Eric came passed me on his TD2B just exiting the 11th mile stone (Drinkwaters). I was just approaching Douglas bend when ahead of me I saw the marshalls throwing out the waved yellow and running round the bend. Obviously I slowed and when I passed Eric he was laying in the centre of the road on his back. I made my way round him on the right hand side of the road, the Yamaha being slightly further down on the left.
        It shook me up a bit, I later got used to the vision of bikes and bales scattered up the road in later years. At my pitstop at the end of lap two my pit man Jim Chalkley (an Oulton owner) assured me that Eric was ok. It wasn't until later on in the afternoon that we learnt of his death.
        Sadly Eric wasn't the only friend I lost over there but although we all know what a hard place it is and the possible consequences of parting company with the machine (I managed it three times) the exhilaration is worth every penny of the danger.
        I am still unconvinced by using a Silverstone for your purposes. Any highly tuned piston port engine is suited only for racing. I have ridden all types of Yamaha TZs from the early monoblock engines (I also have a 1974 TZ250 A) through to the last of the sophisticated V twins, which have a greater spread of power due to the read and exhaust valves but I wouldn't take one of those in traffic either.
        I think the later 64-67 Silverstones were 95kg without fuel.
        However good luck and thanks for your marshalling duties, without your attendance and dedication we would not have had the opportunity to experience the greatest thrill on earth.

Comment

Eric was No.24 what number were you?

Click image for larger version  Name:	eric-piner-yamaha-1973-lightweight-manx-grand-15277705.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.3 KB ID:	93066

I don't know where it was taken (TTRacePics) but think it may have been during practice at maybe Parliament Square.
          Last edited by BillyBob; 24/12/2022, 02:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I was #2. The photo you have is a practice photo at Parliament Square.
            Whereabouts do you marshall?
            Last edited by tonyed27; 24/12/2022, 03:08 PM.

Comment

The second bike no36 is Les Trotter Suzuki. 1973 was my sixth MGP, on a 350 Yamaha after six on a Norton 500.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyed27 View Post
                I was #2. The photo you have is a practice photo at Parliament Square.
                Whereabouts do you marshall?
                Hi Tony,
                You did say you went off at No2, I didn't twig that was your number in the race.
                For practices I am not fussed where I Marshal but usually not far from Peel these days now I use Peel Camp site as a base.
                For the races I usually prefer Rhencullen2 (Wes's cottage) but don't mind being moved on if need be.
                Lance.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsbody View Post
                  The second bike no36 is Les Trotter Suzuki. 1973 was my sixth MGP, on a 350 Yamaha after six on a Norton 500.
                  What was your race number in the Lightweigh DB?
                  I can't find a photo for Tony, maybe I'll have better luck with you.

Comment

There is not a photo of me on the site, too shy or perhaps the photographer did not have a shutter speed fast enough - Oh I do like a laugh!

Comment

No pics in 73 or 74 that I have seen. In 1971 was no25, 1972 no73, 1975 no11 and 1977 no115.

Comment

No pics in 73 or 74 that I have seen. In 1971 was no25, 1972 no73, 1975 no11 and 1977 no115.
                        DB - are you now or have ever been Colin Wilkinson? If not who are you?

I 'Manxed' from 1973 to 1982 under the name of Anthony Edwards the only races I can remember entering as Anthony rather than Tony

Comment

Tony, I am and always have been.

Comment

Tony, I am and always have been.
                            Although we did several Manx's the same years we were never in the same race. In '77 I was due off at #29 on my 500 cc Crescent and you @ #115 on a 402cc Aermacchi.
                            I don't know if you'd been out on the circuit on Wednesday evening of practice week and got held at the Bungalow whilst the helicopter picked some unfortunate up from Windy corner but if you were and lost lap I apologise as I was the helicopters payload that trip, so in '77 I didn't qualify but did get a nice relaxing 10 days in Nobles.

Comment

ColinW,
                              Help, is this Union Mills?

Click image for larger version

Name:	colin-wilkinson-norton-1971-senior-manx-grand-19529084.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	93090

Comment

Yes, Union Mills. 1971. Tony, in 77 I was on a Honda 400/4, same bike as 75. It did two MGPs, a Production TT with a friend of mine on board a couple of short circuit races and three years as my road bike . Never had the head off it from buying it in August 75.

Comment

Working...
                                X