Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Names for Greeves with alternative engines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gr11mpy View Post
    Honda XR500..... Wet sump model.
    The early ones were dry sump I believe (could be getting mixed up with the XL500).
    Not tried to fit one into a beam frame myself, I'll be sticking to the BSA engines for the time being oil tank and all. Unless I fit a Bantam engine into a TFS .....
    Do you think that the 500 Honda single might need a stronger engine cradle set? I'm thinking of the vibes and the torque .. 1/8" thick engine plates sound a bit thin. Should be 3/16" this and boxed in. Dunno?

Keith

Comment

the serious answer must be a rotax unit easily available s/h and in various sizes from std 350 up to supertuned 620 just make sure you change the rubber band regulary ,, will.

Comment

Hi Keith,
        Nothing wrong with 1/8' plate depending on how the engine mounts into the frame and how big physically the plates need to be.

I've used 1/8" plate to mount a B50 engine into a Griffon chassis, however, the plates are relatively small as the engine is a really tight fit into the cradle. Also the engine is additionally fixed via a head steady to the top tube and in BSA tradition through the lower frame rails. It's a very secure installation and one I'm very happy with.
        The standard Griffon mounts were of a similar size and used virtually identical size plate.

Which frame are you thinking of using? This will affect the way in which you need to address the mountings.

The MX4 type frame is less complicated than most to fit large alternative motors in due to the location of the frame rails (no singular down-tube in the way) and the rear mounts are relatively simple to fabricate onto a tube where the swing arm spindle passes through. That's the method I used on the 750 twin with 10mm aircraft spec aluminium engine plates up front (with large holes in them). Again additional mounts and bracing up-top to 'triangulate' the whole assembly to the frame was used as its a big, heavy, powerful lump. Though physically smaller than the 650 Triumph unit twins that I've seen fitted.

As ever MDF plates initially followed by mock ups in thin plate followed by a final set in Alloy is the way to go once you're happy that everything aligns nicely.....

Good luck.
        Attached Files

Comment

Whatever happened to Andrew Haworths Trident engined Greeves?

See a previous thread on the subject

I did hear from Andy back in Nov. 2010 & due to pressure of work he had not made a lot more progress, he said he would do update (presumably in LL) when it had progressed some more. I note that his Moll Springs Motorcycles web site is now dead.
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 19/11/2014, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Yes chaps, but what do you CALL them.....

Originally posted by Keith Bolas View Post
            Dunno if this has ever been discussed? In the humble corporate opinions of the "management", what would be the very best engine for a Greeves roadster special.
            I've looked at Honda RS250, and Norton navigator engines. But they are a bit weak. I need one that doesn't have a separate oil tank and is a four stroke. All this for the future project, the Greeves-Something sidecar outfit. I would guess that 500cc would be a max.

I really "took" to sidecars a couple of years ago. Loved the challenge and it was easier to get my leg over ....

Keith
            Reckon you missed a trick there Keith..... Rather than tack this on to the end of my tongue in cheek thread about 'Names' for Greeves with alternative engines, this could have a made for an interesting 'serious' discussion in a new thread.....as long as it's quiet (Greeves wise) on eBay o'course......

Brian.

Comment

Trident Greeves....

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
              See a previous thread on the subject

I did hear from Andy back in Nov. 2010 & due to pressure of work he had not made a lot more progress, he said he would do update (presumably in LL) when it had progressed some more. I note that his Moll Springs Motorcycles web site is now dead.
              .....the only thread I ever had to close while I was a moderator on this forum, sadly....It was my thread too, or at least it was to start with.... I was genuinely interested to hear more about that bike, a very interesting Greeves project initiated by a GRA member.

I do hope the website being 'dead' doesn't mean that another independent bike business in the UK has gone down, and that Andrew is doing ok.

Brian.
              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 23/11/2014, 07:52 AM. Reason: Additional comment...

Comment

According to a post on this BMW forum http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=19730 Andy was still in business back in June this year when he rebuilt a BMW gearbox.

Comment

Greeves / Kawasaki hybrid = GreeK
                  Enfield Constellation engine in an Enfield Interceptor frame = Installation
                  Harley Davidson engine in Norton frame could be either a Norley or a HarDon

Comment

Originally posted by gribley View Post
                    Greeves / Kawasaki hybrid = GreeK
                    Enfield Constellation engine in an Enfield Interceptor frame = Installation
                    Harley Davidson engine in Norton frame could be either a Norley or a HarDon
                    Ha! Or you could get an interesting mix from a PI-relli and a tau-NUS ...

I bet that one is moderatified out???

Anon

Comment

It might. We're a trifle prudish here in Moderator Corner. Let's see how it develops.

Would that special have a rotary engine, do you think?
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Maybe..... but where would you park it?

Comment

We better avoid a jokes thread. We made the ghastly mistake in the Harley Club of opening a jokes thread. One guy posted about 50 jokes every day for months.
                          Be warned ... Lol

Comment

Keith , it was you who brought the thread right down into the gutter.....

Comment

How about a weslake / greeves / villiers hybrid = a Weevil

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                                Keith , it was you who brought the thread right down into the gutter.....
                                Still looking for my coat Dave ... :-(

Comment

Working...
                                X