Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Names for Greeves with alternative engines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Names for Greeves with alternative engines!

So.....(with tongue firmly in cheek of course!)......we are all of course familiar with the most common engine replacements for the noble (nobled?!) Villiers, but what of the more 'unusual' (or even 'potential'!) variants......(or should that be miscreants?!!)

Here's a few ideas to get you all started! Any and all suggestions gratefully received...! (and don't forget, it's just a bit of fun ok.....!!!)

Here goes;

Greeves + Triumph = Grumph, or Treeves.

Greeves Scottish + Triumph Tiger Cub = Grub, although I kinda like Grubish! (I reckon it's what I'd fit if they ever ban two-strokes, heaven forbid!!!)

Greeves + BSA = Greebsa (doesn't that sound a bit like a migratory sea bird....?)

Greeves + Velocette = Grevel, or maybe Grevelo? (With special thanks to stormer254 for providing the 'inspiration' for this post elsewhere on these very pages! Please don't blame him though, the fault is all mine....And yes, I know, I need to get out more!)

Greeves + Merlin = Gremlin (and yes indeed they do exist, I have seen a picture of one! And no, I don't mean the one lurking in my Villiers magneto....!) They are much bigger and feed on magnetism.... when they can get it that is!

Greeves + Vincent = Grincent (did you ever hear about what happened to the unfortunate chap that advertised a 'chopped' Vincent in MCN.....By the way, the twins fit better than singles, or so I've heard....! If you used a Comet engine (go on!) you could always call it a Gromet...! (See attached, with huge apologies to Dave Pink! He's bigger than me and he know's where I live too!!! !)

Greeves + Honda (WHAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!) = Gronda. (sackable offense, without a doubt!!!) Sorry to offend any Honda riders out there! But maybe a CB250RS engine would fit though.....mmmmm!

Greeves + Yamaha = Gramaha (DT175 engines work well in Pathfinders, apparently-as long as the VJMC haven't snapped 'em all up by now...!)

Greeves + Suzuki = Greevuki (sounds like something suspicious from the local takeaway.....)

Greeves + JCB = JCBeeves (Dicky's 'secret weapon' for the British Bike Bonanza scramble this year...?! )

There are of course many more 'exciting' possibilities, but I will leave it there for now!!!

Any takers...?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 09/06/2010, 10:35 PM.

Not greeves and a completely stupid combination but the registration document would be funny- i always fancied building a Suzuki engine in a norton frame = a 'snot'

Comment

Names for Greeves with 'other' engines in.

I suppose that, until the advent of the Griffon series, Greeves bike had 'other' engines fitted anyway. My two and yours Brian should, (on this thinking), possibly be "GRILLIERS". Not so bad as the British Anzani ones which be called BANZAIS! or even "GRANNIS" I wouldn't even begin to think how you would pronounce "RCAES"(Arses?)............

Seriously though folks, over the years I've seen a number of Greeves fitted with other engines. The Scrambles world soon realised the worth of the Greeves frame, but put more powerful motors in. Whatever your opinions of the 1970's Japanese engines in their road going 'Trail' bikes, they are compact and fit into the A to J series frames very easily. The TL 125 Honda Trials unit is perhaps the best, about the same size/power as a Cub unit. The big advantage is the lack of extraneous parts, (oil tank, electrics, etc.,)
      However, these machines seem to have dissapeared from the earth! We sold hundreds of such in the late 70's and early 80's, until the advent of the watercooled types. I had a few for winter use. Theoretically there should be plenty of engines around. If just keeping the 'bike going as a unit was desired, this is a way forward. Originality is another argument. Unless the Villiers based clubs go the way of the Vincent/Norton Clubs and commision parts manufacturing on a commercial basis, there is bound to be a break point soon, when the supplies ofcertain parts dry up.

Now, back to fiiting the electric motor from my Hoover into my Scottish - GROOVY!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Rotherham View Post
        Now, back to fiiting the electric motor from my Hoover into my Scottish - GROOVY!
        Ho, ho ho, good one!
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Diesel

Hi all I had ride out last weekend on my 1962 T.E.S. to look in on a get together of diesel motor cyclists called the big knock. Some had come from as far away as Germany boasting of 70 to 100 plus mpg. Or 2.5 liters per 100 kilometers but that was all dutch to me. There was some light hearted banter about why would you fit 600cc a cement mixer engine to your bike some still had pull cords on them! As my Greeves made more noise and smoke than some of theirs I should fit a diesel to it I bet that would get called some alternative names It was a good afternoon out though.
          Last edited by john downer; 11/06/2010, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Fine contributions all lads, keep 'em coming eh!

Thanks Peter for those inspired additions! Wasn't 'Grilliers' also the name of that greasy spoon just ouside Felixstowe on the A14 back in the 80's....?!!!

Colin Sparrow once suggested that a Triumph Cub engine would be just the job in a Pathfinder.........but the question is, would that make it a 'Grubfinder' or a 'Pubfinder'....?!!

Couldn't agree more on your comments regarding those engines, especially the little Honda singles. I had a few of those over the years, from a C50 to a CB100N commuter, a CB125S (passed my test on that one), CB250RS (Japanese Ducati single with handling to match), and including an XL500RC trailbike. My favourite was a little XL185RC, road oriented trail bike cousin of the much sought after (especially by TRF members of the day!) XR200R enduro/comp. model. All those engines can trace their line right back to the C50, and what strong (and surprisingly pokey for their displacement) little units they are. Very little to worry about as you say Peter, as long as you changed the oil every 1000 miles they went on forever. Otherwise it was keep an eye on the camchain, tensioner device and blades (the automatic mechanism sometimes used to 'stick'), points, on the earlier bikes (later went CDI, like on my XL185 etc), tappets now and again, and that was pretty well it! Good to work on as well. Due to not having a paper filter as such, it was wise to clean out both the gauze trap as well as the centrifugal trap, although as I bet you'll remember you needed to make a special tool to remove it's securing nut, like a box spanner with four locating pegs fabricated on the circumference.

Tough blighters too! That CB100N I had once snapped it's camchain on me.....However, somewhat amazingly both valves were closed at the exact time it let go (!), so luckily it was an easy (and cheap!) fix.....that time anyway....!

The main issue with those engines was/is the cam bearing surfaces running direct in the head casting of course, and if oil changes were skimped, a noisy (and trashed!) top end could easily result...When I built up the engine for it I had the head of my XL185 line bored, with the cam reclaimed and reground (metal sprayed then re-machined) at very reasonable cost at the time, by SEP of Kegworth. There were also some 'big bore' (no jokes, please...!) kits available back then (still are I would imagine?), with the biggest being around 220cc if memory serves, but that required a bit of machining around the crancase mouth to fit. Yes indeed, a worthy consideration I reckon, despite what I usually say about Hondas.....!!!! That little 185 was one of the best (and most capable) trailbikes I've ever had to be honest-cracking little bike it was!

So.........if you put a Honda engine into a Pathfinder, is it a 'Pondfinder', or perhaps even a 'Pongfinder' then....?! ([A bit of a stretch that last one, I admit! )

By the way Peter, how is the 'GROOVER' coming along, a genius idea!

You'll be able to 'clean' any trials section on that.......! Not so much traction as suction eh.......?!! I like it! What about a polarity switch on the bars so you can swap to 'blow' for the really steep bits...?!
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 11/06/2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
              So.....(with tongue firmly in cheek of course!)......we are all of course familiar with the most common engine replacements for the noble (nobled?!) Villiers, but what of the more 'unusual' (or even 'potential'!) variants......(or should that be miscreants?!!)

Here's a few ideas to get you all started! Any and all suggestions gratefully received...! (and don't forget, it's just a bit of fun ok.....!!!)

Here goes;

Greeves + Triumph = Grumph, or Treeves.

Greeves Scottish + Triumph Tiger Cub = Grub, although I kinda like Grubish! (I reckon it's what I'd fit if they ever ban two-strokes, heaven forbid!!!)

Greeves + BSA = Greebsa (doesn't that sound a bit like a migratory sea bird....?)

Greeves + Velocette = Grevel, or maybe Grevelo? (With special thanks to stormer254 for providing the 'inspiration' for this post elsewhere on these very pages! Please don't blame him though, the fault is all mine....And yes, I know, I need to get out more!)

Greeves + Merlin = Gremlin (and yes indeed they do exist, I have seen a picture of one! And no, I don't mean the one lurking in my Villiers magneto....!) They are much bigger and feed on magnetism.... when they can get it that is!

Greeves + Vincent = Grincent (did you ever hear about what happened to the unfortunate chap that advertised a 'chopped' Vincent in MCN.....By the way, the twins fit better than singles, or so I've heard....! If you used a Comet engine (go on!) you could always call it a Gromet...! (See attached, with huge apologies to Dave Pink! He's bigger than me and he know's where I live too!!! !)

Greeves + Honda (WHAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!) = Gronda. (sackable offense, without a doubt!!!) Sorry to offend any Honda riders out there! But maybe a CB250RS engine would fit though.....mmmmm!

Greeves + Yamaha = Gramaha (DT175 engines work well in Pathfinders, apparently-as long as the VJMC haven't snapped 'em all up by now...!)

Greeves + Suzuki = Greevuki (sounds like something suspicious from the local takeaway.....)

Greeves + JCB = JCBeeves (Dicky's 'secret weapon' for the British Bike Bonanza scramble this year...?! )

There are of course many more 'exciting' possibilities, but I will leave it there for now!!!

Any takers...?
              O/K Brian!

I had to dig real deep for this picture!

Here's your "Gronda"!

Have a good laugh!

Kenny
              Attached Files

Comment

Was the hole it was in very deep then?!! (heh heh!!!!!!)

Oh NOOOOOOOOO......!!!!!!!

Ha ha!!! Nice one Kenny!
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 23/07/2010, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Was the hole it was in very deep then?!! (heh heh!!!!!!)

Oh NOOOOOOOOO......!!!!!!!

Ha ha!!! Nice one Kenny!

It was not a pretty sight when I finally dug it out!

Not one of my better finds, but it did come with an MCS and a nice TT MX5 tank. I think the seller forced me to take it! Held me hostage!!

Kenny

Comment

Greeves Archeaology!

Bet he couldn't stand the 'shame' anymore.....!!!!

Still, sounds like a real good deal to me Kenny-bargain!!!

By the way, did he throw in the spade as well.....?!

Brian.

Comment

Gremlins over there too??????

Nice!! Needed a good laugh...

I am sooo glad to hear that other folks have the "shop GREMLINS too! It seems they have a blast when the lights are out and the shop is empty...love to play in the carb and leave spots on the freshly polished tank and fenders...I am suspicious that they play a role in tools being relocated, as Dad and hubby swear they always put them away??LOL!

Great topic guys!

I am wondering about a Greeves with a Kowasaki engine...would is be a Greevasaki?? Best my poor taxed brain can come up with tonight!
                      Tammy

Comment

Bet he couldn't stand the 'shame' anymore.....!!!!

Still, sounds like a real good deal to me Kenny-bargain!!!

By the way, did he throw in the spade as well.....?!

Brian.
                        Brian,

All I really remember about this beast (other than that Honda motor) it was a heavy SOB...I think it had a electric start as well.

I still do have the tank for those "special memories moments".

I can't believe the builder hacked off the aluminum beam!

Kenny

Comment

Greeves with alternative engines.

The 'Gronda' was a mess.......but I've seen some very neat conversions over the years. I always wanted a Triton, missed a couple of beauties, and refused some awful things, including a Norton 77 engine in an early T.100 frame, (Using the worst of all bits, underpowered and with a hinge in the middle!). I was offered a Norvin in a box, but the hacksaw had been taken far too liberally to the casings to get it into the Model 50 frame. With a limited amount of frames, (compared to the NVT or AMC groups), it could be a bit naughty to destroy the integrity of a Greeves 'beam' frame.......

In the interests of ecological preservation, etc., I was looking for another form of power. I discounted diesel, as, despite there being several compact units about, it's still fossil fuel. Then, sitting in my lounge, I saw what I needed.
                          Human powered with suitable gearing making the mechanism whirl around at a fantastic pace, I am now trying to fit my late mother's Treadle Powered Singer Sewing Machine into my Scottish......a Singes? Greenger?

Peter R.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Rotherham View Post
                            The 'Gronda' was a mess.......but I've seen some very neat conversions over the years. I always wanted a Triton, missed a couple of beauties, and refused some awful things, including a Norton 77 engine in an early T.100 frame, (Using the worst of all bits, underpowered and with a hinge in the middle!). I was offered a Norvin in a box, but the hacksaw had been taken far too liberally to the casings to get it into the Model 50 frame. With a limited amount of frames, (compared to the NVT or AMC groups), it could be a bit naughty to destroy the integrity of a Greeves 'beam' frame.......

In the interests of ecological preservation, etc., I was looking for another form of power. I discounted diesel, as, despite there being several compact units about, it's still fossil fuel. Then, sitting in my lounge, I saw what I needed.
                            Human powered with suitable gearing making the mechanism whirl around at a fantastic pace, I am now trying to fit my late mother's Treadle Powered Singer Sewing Machine into my Scottish......a Singes? Greenger?

Peter R.
                            A TEsinger or TAsinger??? This one's tough!

Kenny

Comment

Greeves + Singer naming problem suggestion, and some ideas for a Greamer!

Peter....if you could fit a cycle part from a Velo, i.e. a rear light unit or something, I think you could be entirely justified in calling it a Gringo in order to get around the problem....! (tee hee!)

Now then.....

I heartily applaud your efforts in developing an 'Eco-Friendly' Greeves to save the planet, and feel you should be encouraged! With this in mind, please find attached a couple of pics to provide 'inspiration' for your most worthy and heroic endeavours!

I think the first item was once an old OSSA (pipe?!)....as for the second, I have it on good authority that was constructed from some of the few parts of the Titanic that didn't actually 'sink'.....(geddit?!) Yes indeed, I'd love to 'open the taps' on one of these beauties!

Just think of the possibilities! It runs on water, ideal for the UK monsoon season; you could make life very difficult for fellow competitors in the sections at a 'dry' trial; you could approach 'Tetley's' for 'sponsorship'(!); the 'special' version, complete with radio-alarm clock, would of course be known as the 'Greeves Goblin'! (For our overseas viewers, here is the 'infamous' "Goblin Teasmade"!; http://www.ssplprints.com/lowres/43/main/52/131362.jpg)

I shall keep my fingers crossed to see a fully working Greeves framed TEA 'prototype' up and running in time for next years GRA AGM, and look forward to joining you for a 'brew' in the carpark!

I.K. Brunel.

PS As a wise man once said, "Humour is one of the few things in life worth taking seriously." Here is great wisdom, I reckon. With this in mind I will endeavour to come up with something that's actually funny next time....!

(I really DO need to get a job......!!!!)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 24/07/2010, 02:44 PM. Reason: More drivel added to post!

Comment

Working...
                              X