Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Names for Greeves with alternative engines!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redotsa

Being a newbie don't know if I should be posting this as it's not greeves related....
    However back in the late 60's early 70's I built a one of scrambler. No prizes for guessing what was used. But it consisted of what was probably a crusader engine a dot bolt up frame and beeza fork's / wheels, the whole lot + more bike junk being purchased from a fellow workmate for the princely sum of £20. HAPPY DAYS no one seemed to want brit stuff back then...
    I seem to remember seeing on here someone mentioning how easy it is to fit a honda tl engine to a greeves frame with having no oil tank, well the enfield engine was the same (so much for jap innovation).... I even went to the trouble of buying some waterslide gold letter's to spell out REDOTSA on the tank.... Wonder if it still exist's ???? Nah can't see it !!!

Comment

Reading a post in another thread reminded me of a story my butler once told me!, he said he put a jawa engine into greeves rolling chassis & won the isle of man tt, apparently, it was the first time a jeeves had ever done it.
      well i tried....

Comment

A GRA member spotted this item in the Catalogue for HJ Pugh Sale in Ledbury on the 28th June:

Lot 384
        1964 Greeves motorcycle
        Date first registration 08/07/1964
        BBP550B V5.
        Suzuki 500cc twin cylinder engine
        Dry stored & not used for 10 years

Probably the wrong thread (pace B.T.) but maybe someone can think of a name for it. Or go and bid for it...

Sorry the resolution's a bit poor, but that's how it was emailed to me.
        Attached Files
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

5T Roadster!

Just in case it's NOT one of your special 'photoshop concept bikes' Colin.....(tee hee! )

.....I would call it either a Gruzuki, a Greezuki or a Greevuki!

Incidently, I might know where there's a Mach III 500 Kawasaki engine going cheap..... (actually it makes more of a 'yeeeeeeowwwwwww' sound...! The rider too, probably!)

Brian.

PS What does PACE mean...?!

Comment

Had a bash at enhancing it, not all that successful tho'...

H.J. Pugh have a website if anyone's interested.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 20/06/2011, 09:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Do I take it that its in the Pugh auction this weekend. Tried to open catalogue but it wont open.

Comment

Got to be a Grezuki. Suzeeves sounds silly!
                Last edited by Brian Catt; 20/06/2011, 10:28 PM. Reason: Second thoughts!

Comment

[QUOTE=Colin Sparrow;7444]HJ Pugh Sale in Ledbury on the 28th June:

QUOTE]

Next Tuesday, John! (Catalogue opened all right for me)
                  Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 21/06/2011, 05:10 PM. Reason: More info
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Yep got it this time Colin here is the link http://www.hjpugh.com/cyclesales/250611.pdf (Lot 384) will be b****y lethal with that 500 Suzuki engine from a Hustler I think. Lots of other 'grey porrage' unrestored stuff & mopeds. Looks like most of it is a dealer clear out.

DVLA listing for the Greeves BBP 550B, been u/l since 8/94 & still registered as 250 & Black!!

The vehicle details for BBP 550B are:
                    Date of Liability 01 08 1994
                    Date of First Registration 08 07 1964
                    Year of Manufacture Not Available
                    Cylinder Capacity (cc) 250CC
                    CO2 Emissions Not Available
                    Fuel Type Petrol
                    Export Marker Not Applicable
                    Vehicle Status Unlicensed
                    Vehicle Colour BLACK
                    Vehicle Type Approval
                    Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
                    6 Months Rate £0.00
                    12 Months Rate £35.00

UPDATE 21/4/23 Frame number off BBP550B is 25DD163 so originally a 1963 25DD Essex
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/04/2023, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Suzuki Greeves

Sold for £1700 (hammer price) Better pic attached. Looks like the frame may have been stretched. Front forks look well down on suspension.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 25/06/2011, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Well thats a first, never ever have I seen Amal carbs fitted to a Suzuki engine... Ever.

: Mike

Comment

SuziGreeves

Be interesting to see if the new owner turns up on the forum. Strange thing is that its not been on the road since 1994. Maybe built & then never used, as its still licenced as a 250. There could be a problem declaring the bigger engine as the DVLA have tightened up on such changes to original spec. ie larger more modern engines fitted to older vehicles. Mainly effects the classic car world where modern high performance engines replacing older types can increase performance, (and insurance risk).
                          £1700 is not megga money but I suppose its not everyones 'cup of tea' Would look better with original headlamp, but I suppose the builder wanted better lights & the Suzuki alternator would be 12volt. Also no sign of the oil tank (unless its on the other side or fitted in tool box) the Suzuki is posi force lubrication & had a fairly large oil tank. As you say Mike, strange that an Amal or Amals (twin Mikuni carbs as original) have been fitted as I would have thought these inferior to the original Mikunis and of course these would have been matched to engine. The tank badges look to have Suzuki under the Greeves logo.
                          This is what the engine came out of, a Suzuki GT500 Cobra. http://www.motorbikespecs.net/index....38&make=Suzuki 44BHP as against 16BHP from the 2T Villiers, very hairy, maybe why the builder never used it on the road!!!
                          Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/06/2011, 10:35 PM. Reason: Link to Cobra spec added

Comment

Dvla

I have just received my registration document back from DVLA- KTW 57C - engine capacity 490cc . It did take two attempts as although I informed them at my local office that 'someone' had fitted a 500 Triumph engine it still showed a 250 cc engine. I then had to get an independent garage to write a report stating the exact description and capacity of the engine. Not too difficult but more hoops, however I now have a Greeves 500 or should I say 'Grumph'

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
                              I have just received my registration document back from DVLA- KTW 57C - engine capacity 490cc . It did take two attempts as although I informed them at my local office that 'someone' had fitted a 500 Triumph engine it still showed a 250 cc engine. I then had to get an independent garage to write a report stating the exact description and capacity of the engine. Not too difficult but more hoops, however I now have a Greeves 500 or should I say 'Grumph'
                              Tony,
                              Please post some photos, I have been following your progress here on the forum and would really like to see your Grumph.

Best Wishes: Mike

Comment

Progress

Not much more to report than the last posting on Triumph Greeves machine site. If I talk about progress here the moderator will tell me off for not keeping to the thread. I will post an update on the appropriate site.

Comment

Working...
                                X