Bikes other than Greeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear....part 2!

Apologies for lowering the tone....again.....but I need to come clean about something with you all. OK, I'm not proud of it, and it has caused me many sleepless nights, desperately trying to overcome the shame and self-loathing of it all....But...a long long time ago (in a Galaxy far far away!), I used to own (gasp!), and I can't beleive I'm admitting this in the full glare of public scrutiny....a Honda CB100N....!

There....

I've said it.....

Go on, laugh......I can take it!

Actually, it was a quite nice little commuter and did it's job quite well running me back and forth to work. But in terms of excitment and pride of ownership, well, the only thing I was even slightly proud of was the 'rattlecan' paint job I did on the tank....the only problem was I was in my 'curry brown period' (for the art lovers on here!) so the choice of colour was sadly inevitable, albeit perhaps somewhat fitting...

As to why there is only half the bike showing in the pic, the following 'Shobba' cartoon should give a clue...(any excuse for a chuckle, you know what I'm like by now....) It just goes to show that, sadly, despite the passing of the years, some things will never change when it comes to the hazards facing the motorcyclist on UK roads.....Let's all be careful out there chaps and chapess's!

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 03/01/2014, 08:40 AM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Bikes other than Greeves

Brian
      Intresting story about the Sprite .I brought it from Colyn Thomas well known in the GRA .I am the only the 4th owner.I have the old green log book with the first owner a Les Smale of Calf Street Garage ,Torrington ,Devon a well known trials rider in the South West. Unfortunately Les and Calf Street Garage are no longer with us but I was able to get intouch with his son Rick and he remembers going to the Sprite factory to get the frame (which was green) and making up the bike back at the garage.Rick has lots of photos of himself and his dad riding all makes of trials bikes but none of the Sprite.Rick has seen the bike and it is changed a bit it now has Cub hubs, Alloy rims, Parkinson Barrel ,plus alterations to footpegs ,rear brake .
      The bike has not travelled very far in its life Devon to Cornwall and back home to Devon.
      Simon

Comment

I agree with cray about the looks of the huskies, just something about thier stance, but strangely, you don`t see to many on the pre 74 start line!!, don`t know why as they were not shy performance wise, trial rider, you will live to regret selling that superb example....

Comment

oh dear

The Husky viking had a shall we say interesting method of securing the saddle/tank
          But it was/is a looker none the less and when my premium bond comes up I have always said to the current memsahib I shall seek one out to look adoringly at

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
            Apologies for lowering the tone....again.....but I need to come clean about something with you all. OK, I'm not proud of it, and it has caused me many sleepless nights, desperately trying to overcome the shame and self-loathing of it all....But...a long long time ago (in a Galaxy far far away!), I used to own (gasp!), and I can't beleive I'm admitting this in the full glare of public scrutiny....a Honda CB100N....!
            Hi Brian,

You are not alone - I had a curry brown 100N too! I was 17, and compared to my Tiger Cub it was a rocket ship. You could ride it everywhere at 65mph, if you tried that on the Cub it would explode into a 1000 pieces!

After the CB100N I hit the big time and bought a BSA A7SS. A well known ex-Greeves employee still has the complete engine from that bike. The rest of it was built into a TriBSA 650, which is still my main road bike.

Cheers,
            Andrew

Comment

The Mighty CB100N.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the solidarity mate, it means a lot knowing I'm not alone.... I just felt it was time I, ya know, came out....I think I've suffered the shame long enough...!

Good story about mine...I was revvin' it 'past the Nippon', like ya did (in order to make decent forward progress) and watching happily as the straining tacho needle formed that familiar and pleasing banana shape as it curved gracefully around the stopper pin, when suddenly it just went 'phut.....' and all, ahem, 'thrust' was lost....Oh dear.....what could have happened, me thinks, as I sat there nonchalantly doin' me nails....(NOT!!!)

On stripping the top end (no, the engine!) I was amazed to discover that the camchain (more like cam bracelet) had indeed snapped....but it happened at the exact moment both valves were closed...! What are the chances...?!!

Anyway, new cam bracelet fitted and away we went once more, result! Tough little monkeys, as you say mate!

Love to see some pics of your TriBSA....!

Brian.
              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 17/12/2013, 09:34 AM. Reason: Extra drivel!!!

Comment

I had the might CB92, all 125cc of it! Brilliant motor let down by some dubious metalwork elsewhere on the bike. 70mph easy, huge front stopper....had me off several times, should have got better tyres, I suppose.

Comment

TriBSA

Here's my TriBSA, which I've had for 30 years in various guises.

Not a great photo, with the old car and Jodrell Bank in the background, but in 30 years of ownership I don't have that many photos of it!

Comment

oh dear again

Often wondered if you could fit a satnav on a TriBsa

I'm gone

Colin

Comment

Yes, hope it's an alternator model, that dish must draw a lot of juice!

Comment

Indeed, its a 3-phase 180 watt alternator!

Comment

Meals On Two Wheels!

Don't listen to them Andy.....I think it's admirable that you'll be offering a slightly more 'exotic' menu for the lads than the GRA Mobile Hospitality Suite catering unit's usual fare, at Greeves Days UK next year.....!

Nice bike mate!

Brian.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 18/12/2013, 05:04 PM. Reason: Pic attached.

Comment

Looks like an Airfix kit to me!

Comment

Nah, It,s a workshop manual for one of the new rice rockets

Comment

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	628.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	57433

Click image for larger version

Name:	1059.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	57434

Name:	486787_10201390359785224_338570683_n.jpg
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	57435

Name:	949611_10201360549999998_203220946_o.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	57436

Name:	907621_10201170405566506_814497312_n.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	57437[/ATTACH][ATTACH]

Hmmm, I see a pattern, lol....old messed up Hondas and Greeves !

First is my Fave non Greeves gal, Mad Maxine the 1975 MR175 Elsinore, a sweet bike all around, awesome low end and wicked power band too, restored my way as she is "The Bomb" I will never forget the first time I flew up a very decent uphill in 2nd and 3rd, I suddenly "got" the 2 stroke fever!!! I LOVE this BIKE! This is my $50 leaned up against a barn (not even in the barn) find, about $700 brought her back...shocks bent beyond compression and front forks so twisted it was unbelievable...couldn't do it for that today, think its because shares a lot of parts with the CR125, seems last year parts have doubled.

Hooked, number 2 with the red tank is the 1976 MR175 Elsinore, lol, Ruby...she also has the 26mm Mikuni and I set her up just like Mad Max so she halls a** and Digs in like a beast too! We have an absolute blast on the moderately difficult trail with these 2 gals!!

Third is the 1997 Honda XR200R, my first solo project...should have been set on fire from the start..but I brought her back and learned that you do the cosmetics last, otherwise you end up with a bike you have to buried with as you will never get out of it financially what you put into it! That being said, this is probably the best true Trail rider Honda put out, it's like riding your recliner on the nastiest trail you can find...you don't feel a darn thing!! Shes not crazy powerful, but a truly easy going pleasant trail rider, and you could ride for an entire day and still feel your a** That's my 8 yr old niece with me, she has the bug bad....thinks she is ready to ditch her 4 wheeler for a dirt bike, she probably is, but I'm not ready for her to be ready

Comment

Working...
                                X