No announcement yet.

Bikes other than Greeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi colin & andy, theres one on youtube running, sounds ok & looks like a good useable light weight traily, is that the one you have bought colin.
    I see there is also back rack that you can put your shopping on!! dave.

Comment

other bikes

i had a XL250S HONDA 1978 that was a good bike (like the one used in the vampire film LOST BOYS) with the black stripe down the center of the tank
      i also had a ME125 indian and at the same time was a ASPES 50 mx ! the next bike was of course a scottish ! 59tas and then the rot /addiction set in
      my favorite road bike is a 1958 ariel 500 red hunter with HS internals ! me and father did sugical on the baffles it used to set car alarms off with the exhaust note ! off road i had a BULTACO SHERPA T 1972 i won the noivices in my club

then lady suzuki came along !

Last edited by greeves246; 20/05/2011, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
        Hi Colin,

Would that be a Yamaha ST225 Bronco by any chance?
        Not many of these in the UK, I don't think!

Cheers,
        Andrew
        Spot on Andy. I'd never seen one before - I was actually looking for an XT225 Serow and this came along. Grey import from Japan.

And yes, Dave, it is great for "popping down the shops".

Thought it would be more difficult to ID than that...
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Bronco spares

Wemoto do a few consumable spares for Bronco, brake disc, pads exhaust gaskets, fork seals etc. http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/S...nco_import/97/
          Engine parts may be a different matter but maybe same as Sarow. Not much on fleaBay for Bronco either bikes or parts.

Comment

Hi colin, what year is it, only my first thought was circa 74`ish because of the amount of chrome used.
            But then monoshock & front disc puts it about 78/79, but it is a nice looking bike, can`t understand why an electric start over a kicker though, on such a small motor it doesn`t seem worth the extra weight.
            My own road bike is is a kawasaki klr 250 in a lovely vommit inducing lime green & purple, but to ride its the best fun i`ve had in ages? yeah i know!! i ought to get out more...... dave.

Comment

It's actually from 1998, so hardly a classic, just retro looks. Line it up next to my 1973 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail and it's surprising how similar they are in size and general appearance.

At my age (66) an electric start stops saves getting worn out on the inevitable trail-riding stalls and stops. And anyway, I'm lazy...
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi, sorry for tacking on to this thread so late but here is a photo of our 1908 Minerva
                Attached Files

Comment

Connie

We have my grandfathers connie
                  1960 model 1962 registered
                  verified buy the enfield owners club !

Comment

I have a Sunbeam S8 from 1951 I have just put back together. It was in pieces for 18 years but don't remember why.

Triumph Trophy T65 from 1973. Built as a BSA Startwin to use up old BSA stock but re-badged to Triumph. They made 265 of them so not many left now.

My latest toy A Suzuki DR 750 BIG Desert Express from 1989. Almost standard and in fair condition. 6 gallons of fuel in two tanks, 750cc single with two carbs and a bit of a handful. But I like it.

Got some others but mostly projects-in-waiting. We all have them.

Comment

My current transportation is a 2009 Harley-Davidson Super Glide, it pulls like a steam locomotive and handles like a bus, but the motorcycle is a keeper. My other classic pile is a 1960 XLCH Sportster with a 4 inch hole in the cases where the rod tried to escape (and succeeded), the current dirt bike is a 1990 KTM LC4 was bought new and works well enough I haven't given replacing it a thought.
                      The Tri-Greeves project should be crown jewel of the collection.

Best Wishes: Mike

Comment

More bikes other than Greeves (and a Greeves!)

One of the 'perks' of my job (see this thread for more; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=3167) is that I get to ride ('test'!) all the latest bikes from Yamaha. Part of this involves running in demo bikes, scrubbing in tyres etc, and as my daily commute is a 65 odd mile round trip, taking them home and 'living with them' for a week or two gives me a real insight into what they're like. It's a tough job, but someone's got to enjoy doing it....!

As many of us have a passion for ALL motorcycles, although Greeves have a special place in our hearts of course, I thought I'd share a few pics with everyone of some of the bikes I've been fortunate to have a play on in recent times. Also, I wanted to 're-boot' this thread, as I think it may appeal to some of our younger/newer members, and in the hope it may encourage some of them to contribute a post or two.

So, what else have you got in the garage chaps, 'gis a look!

Pic 1. Little and large....XT1200Z Super Tenere next to my Greeves Scottish 24TCS.

Pic 2. FZ1-S, and on the right the earlier bike (pre fuel injection), my FZS1000S Fazer Thousand, now coming up for 50,000 hard miles on the clock and never missed a beat, or ever burned any oil-my ever faithful old warhorse.

Pic 3. Great White.....YZF R1, cross-plane crank, 3 switchable power modes (standard=bonkers, B mode=wet/town riding, A mode=flippin' mental!), 102 mph in FIRST (!) as verified on a race track, officer, and easily the most extreme motorcycle I've ever ridden....tip, warm tyres before pulling the pin!

Pic 4. Techno marvel....YZF R6, revs for England, handles like a Swann Morton 3A scalpel, old git's like me need a ciropractor after every ride (!), makes lovely noises from the airbox!

Pic 5. FZ8....based on the FZ1 but with a sleeved down bore, this is the latest version with fully adjustable suspension and new exhaust, a really nice roadster.

More to follow....

Brian.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 15/12/2013, 10:48 AM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

More bikes other than Greeves.

Here's a few more....

Pic 1. XJ6-N....as nice a middleweight as you could wish for, nimble, light, easy on fuel, cracking little bike.

Pic 2. XVS1300A....cruisers....mmmm! I didn't think I liked them, till I rode one for a while. Surprisingly good, bags of torque, and handles really well for what it is, as long as you bear in mind the lack of ground clearance and long wheelbase....(skirrrssshhhh...oops! at least the foot boards fold up...!)

Pic 3. XVS950A....the 'sweetheart' of the bunch (Yamaha also make a 1900!!!), a lovely 'balanced' bike, perfect engine size, really chilled to ride and very comfortable. With a touring kit, these are surprisingly practical bikes, honest....(cue ribbing from Mr Higgins, 'chaps', fringed jackets, no other mototrcyclists will talk to you because they think it's a Hardly Movingson, and Hardly Movingson riders won't talk to you because it's a Jap bike....boo hoo, I'm so lonely etc....!)

Pic 4. XV950....the very latest cruiser, not been out very long and already winning awards...I can honestly see why. This thing is a HOOT to ride! Based on the earlier XVS950 engine, retuned for extra mid-range punch (and boy can you feel it), all the tinsely bits stripped away so loads lighter, this thing actually handles really really well. It's been designed as a blank canvas for the customisers to get their hands on, and already we're seeing some pretty amazing results. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure, but variety is the spice of life as they say!

Pic 5. MT-09.....Now, THIS is my cup of tea!!! I got to play with one of the very first bikes in the country, and the press are saying it's the best bike to come out of Japan since the first Fireblade...having lived with it for a while I can see why....Lighter than an R6, 115 bhp at the rear wheel, comfy, super agile handling, fantastic build quality, great price, some really nice design features...I think I want one...!!!!

Now Dave....about those leather chaps you 'borrowed'......!

Brian.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 15/12/2013, 11:20 AM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Sorry brian, my w/shop/laboritory..., is full of old mx bikes, but i am going to get a road bike in the spring, but as yet have not really looked into it, probably something like a bandit.
                            I like the old retro bikes like the zephers, but don`t know whats good or bad in the road bike area.
                            I might try & graft a twin turbo hyabusa engine into my old bantam!!! can you forsee any problems?...

Comment

Did we all REALLY wear jeans like that back then.....?!

Here's a couple from way back in the day.....

Pic 1. My first 'big' road bike....Suzuki GS1000S 'Ice Cream Van'....the bike has long since gone, but I've still got the mullet (well, most of it...! ), despite using 'Wash'N'Go' for many years... Speaking of which, I was in the hairdressers the other day (ex rock musicians don't use barbers....) and she said "Brian, did you know you were going bald....?" I replied, "Well get a bloody move on then!".....

Pic 2. Kawasaki GPZ900R, one of the best bikes I ever owned....sigh...and yes, I know (matron).....'it's just this kind of behaviour that will ruin motorcycling for everyone'........but it was a very very long time ago, and I was only a young grommet and even more foolish than I am now....well, a bit anyroad....

Does anyone else have any old pics like these from back in the day they'd be willing to share on here for a laugh....? Be great to see 'em!

Brian.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 15/12/2013, 07:29 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

What ya got mate?

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                                Sorry brian, my w/shop/laboritory..., is full of old mx bikes, but i am going to get a road bike in the spring, but as yet have not really looked into it, probably something like a bandit.
                                I like the old retro bikes like the zephers, but don`t know whats good or bad in the road bike area.
                                I might try & graft a twin turbo hyabusa engine into my old bantam!!! can you forsee any problems?...
                                Ha!!! As we all know, the bantam frame is vastly over engineered, so I would suggest adding nitrous as well to improve the power to weight ratio a little....

Your 'dungeon' sounds very interestin' mate....so apart from the methanol still (...!), what ya got lurkin' in there..? Wanna see, wanna see...!

If you need any help with sorting a nice, clean, low mileage road bike (at the right dosh!), just gimmie a bell me ol' china....!

Arfur.

Comment

Working...
                                X