Griffon QUB rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Lives!!!!!

Great stuff Craig, sounds as crisp as a new fiver!!!!

Congratulations, and cheers for sharing the video with us!

As our dear old mate Tim Griffin would have said..."That's another one done!"

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 28/03/2015, 08:37 PM. Reason: I missed a whole word out.....it's the whine....(hic!)

Comment

• Thanks Brian, Dave, and Kim. One done and one to go. Not counting the Griffon I used to race which needs rebuilt after not being started for 17 years. But thats going to be another thread

Comment

• More threads????...YES PLEASE!!!!!!

Bring it on bud...can't wait!!!

Brian.

Comment

• Agree with all above...well done mate...but why are you letting your dad out on the bike..............

Comment

• Just when it was all going so well.....

Dave......you crack me up!

Craig....smack his legs mate!!!!!!

Brian.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
              Agree with all above...well done mate...but why are you letting your dad out on the bike..............

Every one a winner Dave!

Great vid Craig, sounds like a Griff is meant to sound, but it might need a silencer before they let you out on a track!

Cheers,
              Andrew

Comment

• I can't smack anyones legs for laughing out loud so much. Anyway my Dad says that the bike is fast and good looking because it has proper mudguards and just a little gaffe tape.

Not much of the come back but I really did laugh a lot at Dave's comment.

Comment

• I agree Andrew. My Dad has one of those new alloy silencer things that he is going to fit.

Comment

• Higgo and his magic chuckle bone.

Ha!!!

Good for you Craig! Me too!!

Brian.

Comment

• Now that the 250 is finished except for a few small things I have got to finish the QUB.
                      The clutch pushrod parts arrived from TDS so I had a closer look at the clutch alignment with the crank Sprocket, something did not look right. The sprocket nut was done up tight but the sprocket did not look to be pulled in enough so off it had to come.
                      Just as well I had a look because the woodruff key had somehow caught on the sprocket and had formed a step on the top surface.
                      After a quick rub with the file the whole lot went back in properly.
                      Push rod kit was inserted and clutch adjusted. One more job done.
                      Once I had tapped out the back half of the primary cover and cleaned up the work shop it was 3.00am There might have been some wine involved but time really does go by quickly when working on the bikes.
                      As they say, Tempus fugit.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Those poxy woodruff keys - cheapo engineering, why didn't they put a spline on there and do it properly!

There's a special washer behind the clutch which is often a bit mangled. This is very important as it controls the end-float of the clutch basket on the clutch centre. This should be minimal, but there must be some, otherwise said washer can fall to bits and get caught up in the primary chain!

Check all the clutch springs are the same length while you are at it, otherwise the thing will always drag!

Keep up the good work,

Cheers,
                        Andrew

Comment

• Thanks Andy,
                          Will check the springs tonight but don't remember seeing a special washer (bollocks).
                          Is the a way to check if its there without getting the flywheel puller out again?

Craig

Comment

• Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                            Thanks Andy,
                            Will check the springs tonight but don't remember seeing a special washer (bollocks).
                            Is the a way to check if its there without getting the flywheel puller out again?

Craig
                            Hi Craig,

I'm assuming that the Griffon setup is the same as my Challenger - might not be of course! The only thing holding a Griffon clutch basket onto the centre is the push fit in the ball bearing, so the washer forms an integral part of the assembly.

If you look here: http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...lutch+diagrams

The washer is No.1 on the diagram.

The only way to check it is to take the clutch off!

Cheers,
                            Andrew

Comment

• Thanks again Andy,
                              A few glasses of wine will help ease the pain of taking the clutch off again.

On another note, Big thanks to Brian for the post you directed me to. I often miss these when I am travelling.

Comment

• Craig - once it is all back - check your primary chain tension - you are looking for about 1/2in to 1 in max of play at its tightest point (that is a Dave HArper tip ) ......if too slack - just add horseshoe washers between box and crank to get right....U don't want your primary flapping about when you throttle off ......btw this is a precision job best done with the accompaniment of a single malt

Comment

Working...
                                X