Griffon QUB rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Kim,
    I think I might need your offer of a photo.
    Here is my photo and although I could not find a small circle next to the arrow I found a mark next to the arrow
    Second photo shows dial gauge set and ready.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by griffon380; 01/05/2015, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• Hi Craig - yours is slightly different to mine...but YES that has to be the mark its in the right place for a clockwise rotating rotor so go for it ! ...I would start with 3mm BTDC..softer for starter(and also easier to start) and then go for a sharper setting if desired after
      Cheers Kim
      Last edited by Kim275; 02/05/2015, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• Going for it now.

Comment

• Back from work and travels.

Hello,
          Finally back to Griffon building from work travels and making a new wiring loom for my HB1 after some fool (me) used the old silver paper round the blown fuse trick

I have managed to get the correct nut for the crank end only to find that the threads on the crank just eat nuts for breakfast.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Is it the same thread as the Challenger , 7/16 UNF? Dogsbody

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogsbody View Post
              Is it the same thread as the Challenger , 7/16 UNF? Dogsbody
              Hello Dogsbody,
              Finally found out that the thread is half inch UNF so will get a die nut and die tomorrow to hopefully "tidy up" the threads. If all goes to plan then I will be able to start the engine by the weekend.

Hopefully get to Battlebridge yet
              picture of the 250 waiting under a blanket and QUB still on the ramp.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Looking good - nearly there

Nice one Craig - Keep at it - and look forward to meeting up at Battlesbridge
                Cheers Kim

Comment

• Now to fix the threads

first of all I split the die to get it on the good threads then "wrapped it" in a jubilee clip
                  Attached Files

Comment

• turn it off and finally get to fit the nut.
                    Who says the forum is not the best tool in the workshop
                    Hopefully time it up and try and start.
                    As per Kim's advice I am going for 3.5mm BTDC
                    Attached Files

Comment

• The beasty lives

My daughter looked at the bike tonight and named it "bad ass" due to no colour and no frills. When it started it only confirmed the name.

After 20 plus years of moving boxes of bits from home to home I have finally started the beasty.

Cant wait to go to the track.

Craig

youtu.be/8tyfUYFivnM
                      Last edited by griffon380; 22/06/2015, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• A Beasty indeed well done Craig !!

A Griffon after all is a Vulture that eats up other bikes on the track !!

Congrats Craig - well worth the effort - sounds fantastic !!
                        Looking forward to Battles bridge - did you call Dave Harper to let him know you are coming?
                        Cheers Kim

Comment

• Thanks Kim,
                          I might not get to Battle Bridge as I have as usual got work commitments which may keep me out of the country until 6th of July. After that I am taking time off so if I don't get to BB then I will sort out what I need for a day licence at the next Greeves event and "run " the two bikes in there. Some say that the best way to run them in is at full throttle until they make that funny screeching sound
                          Who is the best person to ask about type of riding gear etc that is needed to pass scrutineering??

Craig

Comment

• Hi Craig for AMCA events they scrutineer the bike not your riding gear so it is personal preference . You can go for the Adrian Dickerdon "classic " look with open face helmet and leather pants or go the other way with modern. ..... Me I go fully modern with the exception of a classic race Jersey .... I have a Nicholson motors Greeves Jersey. .....my philosophy is I aint 18 anymore so prefer protection from the inevitable off,s ... I have Alpinestar boots Arai helmet and Leita body armour and fox knee protectors .... And a Leita neck brace .... Neck brace more use for modern than classic riding tho ...... Drop me an IM with email and I can send you details .......

Comment

• hi craig i just started riding again and got all modern gear, very comfortable to wear except the new style boots i have, they dont bend at the ankle so i had a problem changing gear
                              i got it all from JDS, at one of the pre 65 meetings, good stuff and reasonable prices.
                              brian, number 656 at battlesbridge.this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by brian killick View Post
                                hi craig i just started riding again and got all modern gear, very comfortable to wear except the new style boots i have, they dont bend at the ankle so i had a problem changing gear
                                i got it all from JDS, at one of the pre 65 meetings, good stuff and reasonable prices.
                                brian, number 656 at battlesbridge.this weekend.
                                Thanks Brian, I managed to get sorted with the local Motocross shop. The owner is same age as me and still races so he knew the gear that I needed to survive.
                                Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X