Griffon QUB rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scott151 View Post
    Paul Powell sells the alloy flywheel covers.

I think his website is called cotton/villiers.. He usually has stuff on ebay

Regards

Scott
    For contact details for Cotton Villiers, see his ad in Leading Link.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
      Surely the 250 has to be Blue Metalflake - aka Brian Wades 1969 250cc british Championship winning bike ??

But then I am Biased - this is mine in action....
      That is one good looking Griffon not to mention bum crack
      I have a 1969 Griffon (I think) which is my next project. It has original stove enamel silver frame, a set of points, and a strange shaped top yoke so it must be an early one. If anyone knows about top yoke shapes please advise.
      So the blue metal flake set must go on that one and the alloy and black should go on the later Griffon with the black frame, as per Colin's fabulous new book. Am I right Colin??

FABULOUS PHOTO KIM, JUST WHAT THEY WHERE MADE FOR.

Comment

• Thanks Scott and Colin, I will look them up.

Comment

• Terry Sewell has the covers, I bought one recently

Comment

• Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
            I have a 1969 Griffon (I think) which is my next project. It has original stove enamel silver frame, a set of points, and a strange shaped top yoke so it must be an early one. If anyone knows about top yoke shapes please advise.
            So the blue metal flake set must go on that one and the alloy and black should go on the later Griffon with the black frame, as per Colin's fabulous new book. Am I right Colin??

Cheers Craig! - Colin is the oracle and can confirm - my understanding is ........the 250 '69 griffon is blue metal flake - the 380 twinports redflake (both with silver frames) and the QUB's black frames with alloy tanks .........re experts on yoke shapes Kenny Sykes (Bearingman) and Dave Higgo Higgings have all the info as well as swinging arm differences - see interesting previous thread from Kenny

My view on handling for our kind of riding - is that the earlier Grffon's turn better on the short twisty tracks like Maylandsea - whereas the QUB is better on the faster bigger tracks like MArks Tey
            Last edited by Kim275; 06/01/2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Nice link Kim but still none the wiser
              also realised that the 69 bike has very different foot rests ?????
              Attached Files

Comment

• Wow - see what you mean....

Craig - I see what you mean - what a steep steering angle! and a new one on me - my 250 top yokes are like the first pic.........I think we need some input from Colin or Druid (or any other members who can shed light of course )

Comment

• Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                  Craig - I see what you mean - what a steep steering angle! and a new one on me - my 250 top yokes are like the first pic.........I think we need some input from Colin or Druid (or any other members who can shed light of course )
                  Thanks Kim, I have raced the early bike 20 years ago and kept it ever since so I hope its not a bits

All help gratefully received

Comment

• Not an expert on Griffons, but that top yoke looks totally wrong! Presumably its not an "Arces" item, like the bottom one? The angle looks very odd, as Kim says.

PS. Love any Griffons with metal flake!

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy Z View Post
                      Not an expert on Griffons, but that top yoke looks totally wrong! Presumably its not an "Arces" item, like the bottom one? The angle looks very odd, as Kim says.

PS. Love any Griffons with metal flake!
                      That would be bad news Andy,
                      Quickly, can someone tell me that it is a one of "works" part made for Brian Wade's 1969 championship winning bike please.
                      Complete lies will be gratefully accepted.

Comment

• Terry Sewell could advise

I saw Terry Sewell posted today on another thread .....Terry should be able to illuminate .....

Comment

Nice link Kim but still none the wiser
                          also realised that the 69 bike has very different foot rests ?????
                          My 360 Challenger has yokes like photo 2

Comment

• Griffon

I can't tell definitely from the photos but the swan neck yoke looks like the earlier Cerianis fitted to the Challengers and early Griffons, theh had a parallel top to the stanchion. The later Cerianis (pic 1) were fitted to the later Griffons and had a tapered top to the stanchion.
                            Griffons also used Telesco and MP forks depending on whether the Ceriani brothers cash flow problems allowed delivery or not.
                            The first Griffons (the most attractive in my view) had a silver frame and plain blue grp.
                            Those footrests aren't genuine Greeves.
                            The early Griffons turn better I reckon, better suited to our modern tracks. The later Griffons need rear units 1" longer to help them turn.
                            All Griffons go faster with non metalflake GRP and aluminum guards.

Druid

Comment

• Thanks Druid, thats much better news about the top yoke, I have a spare set of footrests so no problem changing them.

Comment

Check 250 Griffon spec on page 174: Silver frame all years. Glass-fibre was Moorland Blue 1969-70, Blue Metalflake 1971-72.

But it doesn't really matter - any early Griffon looks great in metalflake - and will be MUCH FASTER!

380 QUB Mk1 (page 199) Black frame, Golden Glow glass fibre 1972, Alloy tank and black 'glass 1973-on. Please note, Mk2s were different again.
                                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                                X