No announcement yet.

The new Triumph Speed Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you seen the New Norton Atlas? Only 650cc, as it's a cut down from their V4, but pipes, tubes, bodywork all over the place! No more sleek designs, they all look as if a monkey has been selected to throw things at them!

Comment

It seems that Triumph feel the need for a new higher-priced model in view of a fall on sales in the year ending June 30, down from 63,404 units to 61,505, the first such sales decline in 8 years.
      Last edited by johnrunnacles; 09/01/2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Well I don't know about ever increasing cc's as, heaven forbid, the future will be electric.
        Mind you, you might need a third wheel to house the battery!

Comment

Adrian....Electric!.....wow! thats a game changer? but i guess you cannot hold back progression?
          On the other side of the coin, without change, then we would all be still on a penny farthing.
          So, i guess its all a question of personal taste or an age thing.
          Motorcycle manufactuers are always going to follow the latest trends, as did greeves, else they would have been out of business, personally, i don`t think the battery car/bike will take off on a big scale, due the fact of recharging.
          Most motorway services have only 4/5 charging points @ long periods of charging, where the smarter alternative, for the govermen, t would have been to put legislation in place to have a universal battery pull in replacement scheme for all cars/bikes that could be changed in minuites, its not rocket science.....or is it?

Comment

Adrian's got it sussed, Dave ………….. at least he has on the car front. Probably only a matter of time before bikes "catch up". Not Greeves though?

Comment

The number of charging points is increasing! I visit a number of Service areas in the course of various motor events and can report that places like Oxford Services have now got about 10 or 12 charging points, and that the owners of the incredibly well built Teslas are using them, although I have never seen more than 3 cars docked at one time. Those vehicles are upper price range vehicles and can now be used for long-distance journeys, as long as you plan properly. Nissan and Mitsubishi are well into a program of electric and hybrid vehicles that are getting better year on year. We won't go into the "where does the leccy come from" debate here, but as sure as eggs is eggs, leccy vehicles will be the only ones allowed in Central London soon. I will need to reroute my approach to the Ace Cafe this year, or face paying the Low Emmission Zone charge on a vehicle that is not yet 5 years old.

Comment

Electric technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years after being stifled by petrol companies for years. On the bike front Vespa have announced an electric model with 60 mile range https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/8/1...cs-photos-sale
                Battery capacity is more of a problem with bikes and scooters owing to limited space, most of the cars have batteries built into the chassis. Of course the problem of battery life remains and Vespa are only stating 10 years of life with it reducing to 80% after 1000 charges. But battery technology will for certain improve that as time goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                  We won't go into the "where does the leccy come from" debate here, but as sure as eggs is eggs, leccy vehicles will be the only ones allowed in Central London soon.
                  On that very point Brian, Leccy generation from Coal last year fell to less than 4% of total demand and will finsih entirely by 2025. Renewables on the other hand increased it's contribution to 33%. Like you, I've never been that convinced of the cleanliness of EV's, but as Fossil Fuel contribution falls then the cleaner they will become.
                  Oh dear, what have I started!

Comment

As I add this over 50% of electricity is being generated by Gas and more by coal than wind. Makes interesting watching sometimes when wind is less than 1%.

Dogsbody

Comment

No-one's mentioned Solar yet. Not all power is being generated via the National Grid .....................
                      Last edited by johnrunnacles; 10/01/2019, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsbody View Post
                        As I add this over 50% of electricity is being generated by Gas and more by coal than wind. Makes interesting watching sometimes when wind is less than 1%.

Dogsbody
                        Just for clarification my figures are based on totals for the entire twelve months rather than an instant in time!

Comment

And looking to the near future, there are a lot more wind-powered generators out there waiting to come on stream ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

I have ridden an electric Greeves! Bike show in the late '60's had a trials course with elec bikes as it was indoors, do not remember how well I did but you had to keep the power (!) on all the time .
                            Might have been the same year I won a tyre fitting contest- prize was a tin of chrome cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterGreig View Post
                              I have ridden an electric Greeves! Bike show in the late '60's had a trials course with elec bikes as it was indoors, do not remember how well I did but you had to keep the power (!) on all the time .
                              Might have been the same year I won a tyre fitting contest- prize was a tin of chrome cleaner.
                              Was that at Earls Court Peter, I seem to recall some electric trials bikes that you could ride around an indoor course. Are there any pics of these Greeves in the archives I wonder?

Comment

Working...
                              X