Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did someone mention Emus......

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
    Nice looking machines!....but when the time comes, i can see Brian Thompson going for something a bit more enviromently friendly.........
    Oh my........what a lovely beast! I think I'm in love......

On a historical note, that's a rather fine picture of the superb American rider Festus Clamrod on one of his pedigree racing birds, a top competitor in his day.....

bRiAn.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 24/10/2015, 11:19 PM. Reason: Additional 'historical' details.....!

Comment

Thats correct Brian, sat 21st aug 1898 i believe, sadly festus fell on the fourth fence & the poor bird had to be put out of its misery.
      Still, that did not put a damper on the sundays racing, when the crowd were entertained with some very good racing & some free very large chicken sandwiches..........

Comment

Originally posted by Marcelle34A
        No, no, go ahead and have a leg, I really really don't mind having a wing...
        from memory, a chap called....ohh! whats his name?...... ahh! i know!...colonel saunders won it by a beak.......

Comment

Emu Racing, the stuff of leggings......

Ah yes Dave.....that fateful day was one for the books alright......but compared to events that befell the infamous Mabelthorpe Grand National of 1863, as mentioned on here before (see post #11;http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...rning#post7086 ), well, let's just say it was chicken feed......(groan!) The psychological damage inflicted on both competitors and spectators alike in the aftermath should serve as a lesson to us all.....

Also, I forgot to point out that Festus is wearing a rather fetching pair of light weight 'training' greaves in the pic......Fine for a gentle canter around the paddock, but for 'serious' competition something a heck of a lot more HD is required..... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gr...IVgT8UCh1z-gC2

Aye...I like a nice pair of greaves, me..... I'm just amazed that more people haven't copied Kim and Scott in the Greeves Championship...much more 'period' than Sidi's.....

Oh, and one more thing....Festus actually had a prize male stud Emu...called 'Francis'....

bRiAn

Comment

Let me guess....receeding a little bit was he? been to the fair........
            Last edited by dave higgins; 25/10/2015, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Francis's Barnet....

! Yes indeed...but don't forget mate.....nothing sucksseeds like an Emu with no teeth.....(ouch, that was poor, even by my poor standards!)

Funny you should mention it though Dave...I was having a haircut the other day (aka Barnett adjustment), and the lass said to me 'Did you know you were going bald...?' So I said 'Well get a bloody move on then!'

See....that was poor too....

I need to go to bed....besides, I've got a herd of Emus to milk first thing in the morning.....and yes, I'll be wearing me greaves, obviously.....

bRiAn

Comment

Emu Racing, Down Under, possibly not on Franny B's....

....and before anyone starts saying I just make all this stuff up.....(!), it's nice to see the Aussies carrying on this fine tradition, even if they mostly have to use motorcycles these days.....

bRiAn.

Comment

Blimey, only been away a couple of days and it's gone bonkers on here!

Comment

Parental Discretion Advisory Notice.....

Hi mate,

....but it's always been bonkers on here......

Comment

Working...
                    X