• Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Happy New year to you all!!

brianC Punchy Brian T and Higgo and John I am still LOL
    Happy new year to you all !!

Comment

Guy Martin

Looking forward to the next program, but will need to record at slow speed so as to understand what he is saying!
      Brian are you still getting e mails ?

Comment

Don't worry boss, it's proper.

Hi Dicky,

Yes, but I've only just surfaced though, as Wendy and I have both been proper poorly boss with some 'orrible virus given to us for Christmas by our delightful grandchild....What a boy.....

Thought I'd better tune in to catch up on all the New Year repeats.....

Brian T.

Comment

Series 2, Episode 2.

Despite what everyone on the TV production company says, Guy still thinks he can get it to do over 200mph with nothing more than a bit of weight reduction and an 'experimental' Dti system (Direct Tea Injection).... (See pic attached below.....)

I think Guy is a legend. He has arguably done more to put motorcycling back in the living rooms of the GBP (Great British Public) in recent times than anyone, (let's not mention Charlie McBoorman, fine fellow that he is), and I for one would love to see him win a TT. I just hope he doesn't hurt himself (or worse) trying. I agree with some of the common opinions given as to why he hasn't done it yet (mainly focus), but I doubt I could keep up with him on a pushbike (even with a Scania giving me a tow), let alone anything else, so who am I to say...

I haven't met Guy, but a work colleague spent an evening with him at a trade event a while back and said what a great bloke he was, making time for everyone who wanted to talk to him, signing autographs etc, and we all know how much he LOVES doing all that stuff (not that I blame him)...He and his then girlfriend endured some pretty appalling 'attention' from the public when he was at the Island and the TT3D film had just come out...no wonder he takes himself away...

What you see is what you get with Guy Martin, and he goes his own way, right or wrong, and in my opinion that is something to be admired in the ubber corporate racing world we seem to have today. When all the bull stops and he lines up at the top of Bray Hill, to me, he is a hero...just like all the rest.

(That OK Guy?)

Brian.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 30/12/2014, 02:20 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

Comment

Totally Agree

Excellent post Brian thanks, tis good to read and reflects him as being the type of character that he comes across on the tv. a good down to earth bloke with no bull about him.
            Must admit I thoroughly admire his grit, skills and determination he had me in stitches in the last series when repairing the pier up north somewhere, and they got him to play a kettle drum with the brass band on the pier bandstand!
            All the courage and riding skills he has but he couldn't have looked more out of place in a bib &tucker standing at the back of the band sweating, with absolute fear across his face as he waited for the right moment to play his drum roll . He admitted he was dreading it beforehand and despite plenty of practice still couldn't get it right .
            Yes Kim happy new year to all, looking forward to a return to the mount also
            Last edited by Punchy; 05/01/2014, 03:53 PM. Reason: Mistake with link
            Punchy 336

Comment

Guy certainly got his feet wet in last nights programme. The surprising thing is that the bike continued to run again after at least five total emersions maybe more as there were probably other attempts not used in the final programe.
              It went in with the engine running at high revs so how come the con rod or big end did not go when it hydraulic locked up. I partly filled a Bultaco Sherpa up once in a trial & had to replace the big end, the rollers indented the crank pin.

Comment

That is a good point which i did consider myself, the only conclusion, is that you only saw the symptoms of hydraulicing , after it had been submerged on the lake bed, for a considerable time & then only one gentle tickle with the kick start.
                Its safe to say that the inlet/air intake was of a good enough design to expell any water ingress whilst at speed /or still running.
                I would not have thought there was more than one bike as poor old guy looked like he was wearing his own tt leathers, budget program or what.
                Last edited by dave higgins; 07/01/2014, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Well, hats off to Guy this week, it may have been at the opposite end of the speed range but has anyone tried pushing out 450watts of power on a bicycle?
                  Because the running machines were out of order at the hotel, I had a session on a cycling machine instead, sad I know, but the highest output I could manage was 150.
                  Respect from me Guy!

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                    Guy certainly got his feet wet in last nights programme. The surprising thing is that the bike continued to run again after at least five total emersions maybe more as there were probably other attempts not used in the final programe.
                    It went in with the engine running at high revs so how come the con rod or big end did not go when it hydraulic locked up. I partly filled a Bultaco Sherpa up once in a trial & had to replace the big end, the rollers indented the crank pin.
                    I wonder if the fact that the back wheel was not in contact with anything solid meant that when the pot filled up with water the engine just stopped without breaking anything because there was nothing trying to make it continue to turn?
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

The human powered flight speed record was on last night. Very interesting. I take my hat of to Guy (and the team involved) Being an ex racing cyclist I know the training that is involved in putting out the wattage required to turn that propellor for the length of time it took to get airborne.

Comment

Originally posted by ADickerson View Post
                        Well, hats off to Guy this week, it may have been at the opposite end of the speed range but has anyone tried pushing out 450watts of power on a bicycle?
                        Because the running machines were out of order at the hotel, I had a session on a cycling machine instead, sad I know, but the highest output I could manage was 150.
                        Respect from me Guy!
                        Adrian - 150 Watts with associated power@weight ratio increase ...might well have been enough!

Wasn't wattage drag^2 and weight ^4? - but seriously amazing effort so Woolly hats off to Guy !! (and stuff it in your pocket before the record attempt!)

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                          That is a good point which i did consider myself, the only conclusion, is that you only saw the symptoms of hydraulicing , after it had been submerged on the lake bed, for a considerable time & then only one gentle tickle with the kick start.
                          Its safe to say that the inlet/air intake was of a good enough design to expell any water ingress whilst at speed /or still running.
                          I would not have thought there was more than one bike as poor old guy looked like he was wearing his own tt leathers, budget program or what.
                          Suggest members avoid any bargain RM450F Suzuki's going cheap on ebay

Comment

fred

i remebr fred dibnah at local rallys in cornwall his steam engine was fitted with a beer glas holder wonder how many pints the the mile ?
                            Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                            He (Fred) was not obsessed with speed, quite content with 5 mph on his steam roller.

Comment

guy martin

best in series was the riding on water ! hydralock !

Comment

Cresta Run

Top marks to Guy again no holding back on the Cresta or the Santa pod run the skateboard looked quite painful though

Perhaps the Cresta could be a venue for the Greeves Daze any takers?
                                Punchy 336

Comment

Working...
                                X