No announcement yet.

Wessex Grumph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the head from a TR5T Trophy Trail? They were detuned a bit to make them more suitable for off-road use.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Wessex Grumph

Mike

I like Colin's suggestion re the TR5T cylinder head. You could also consider softening the performance with a 5TA cylinder head and inlet cam. The advantages of the 5TA setup being smaller valves and shorter duration opening on the cam. Unfortunately, you cannot use the exhaust cam as there is no provision for driving the contact breaker points. I will have a look in my parts books and see if there are any other possible combinations. Lowering the compression ration will also help as well as accomodating unleaded gas. Only consider having the valve seats renewed if you are going to do big mileages.

The engine plate templates and info should be with you any day soon. Posted last Thursday.

Best wishes

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
        What about the head from a TR5T Trophy Trail? They were detuned a bit to make them more suitable for off-road use.
        Hi Colin,
        Thanks for that suggestion its a good one, I am trying to research whats out there as far as usable combinations, from early to late, late being preferable as I don't want to buy pistons to match up with the early squish band heads (pre 1967?) unless there is a good reason to go that route. I haven't pulled the head off of my engine yet, so I don't what condition the bores are in, if the bores are bad enough that I cant hone and re-ring, my choices for heads will be wide open.

Best Wishes: Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
          Mike

I like Colin's suggestion re the TR5T cylinder head. You could also consider softening the performance with a 5TA cylinder head and inlet cam. The advantages of the 5TA setup being smaller valves and shorter duration opening on the cam. Unfortunately, you cannot use the exhaust cam as there is no provision for driving the contact breaker points. I will have a look in my parts books and see if there are any other possible combinations. Lowering the compression ration will also help as well as accomodating unleaded gas. Only consider having the valve seats renewed if you are going to do big mileages.

The engine plate templates and info should be with you any day soon. Posted last Thursday.

Best wishes

Phil
          Hi Phil,
          In my reply to Colin's post I outlined my current conditions for cylinder head selection. You guys are great motivation as I think I will have a stout coffee, go pull the the head off and see whats going on in there.

Some of my thoughts about the 5TA head is the variation in pushrod covers and sealing schemes Triumph used throughout the years, in particular which cover would be used with a late cylinder, lifter block / early head combination?

The current plan is to use someones crank triggered CDI ignition system, the Rex Caunt product comes to mind, but there are others I'm considering. The timing cover will be fitted with a nice aluminum plug. This opens up camshaft selection to the early models. I like this part of the plan.

As I have no history, the engine is coming apart for inspection, service of the sludge trap, a general freshening and exorcism of demons.
          I agree very much with you in keeping the compression ratio at a reasonable level, I am thinking 8.5 ~ 9 to 1. Thanks for mentioning valve seats, one more area that needs research.

As always any thoughts, suggestions, or comments, are welcomed. Anything I have posted here is not a decision but more like a serious consideration subject to change, as things progress the condition of things I find will dictate what actually happens, I will keep you all informed.
          Phil, Thanks again for your help and thoughts on this project.

Best Wishes: Mike
          Last edited by Nemosengineer; 15/06/2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X