Wessex Grumph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wessex Grumph?

A bit of a background, I have purchased a running Greeves Wessex as a project and the engine is tired, I have a T100C Triumph engine that won't take much to put back in action. I am seriously considering going with the Triumph engine. This motorcycle will be used for trials at a local level and yes I'm an old guy.
    I guess my questions are:
    What does the result ride like?
    Has this conversion ever been performed with the Anglian/Wessex chassis?
    Is there a major weight shift forward or does the center of gravity stay about the same?
    How much ground clearance is lost?
    The conversions I have seen on this forum are all quite nice and are my inspiration in considering this conversion.
    I would like to say "Thank You" in advance for any advice I may receive.

Best Wishes To All: Mike

First and major question is can you ride a twin in your local trials? I don't mean eligibility, I mean personal ability. The added weight and different power characteristics mean the rider's skill is tested somewhat. You will have an easier ride with the original engine rebuilt, but it's down to your assessment of (a) the difficulty of your local sections and (b) your assessment of your skills to adapt to the engine. No doubt you will have seen that the Pre-65 Scottish was won on a Triumph engined bike, but sadly, we are not all at Steve Saunders skill level! I'd like this project for Trail riding, not sure about Trials.

Comment

Wessex

Good point raised there Brian, another point to consider is that the bike would possibly be de-valued by fitting the Triumph engine. Fine if you are building a Grumph from a basket case but a shame to modify an original complete bike with provenance.
      Nemosengineer says he got the bike as a running project, so not sure if its all there and original, or has already been cut about & modified.

Comment

As always, lots more help and advice forthcoming if you join the GRA...
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi nemosengineer, i agree with colin, join the gra & get the full benifit of the clubs technical archives, phil hyde is the main man on triumph conversions.
          But i think half the fun of a conversion is the build itself & the other half is turning up on something, just that little bit different from everyone else, so i would go for it & have fun. dave.

Comment

"Brian Catt First and major question is can you ride a twin in your local trials? I don't mean eligibility, I mean personal ability. The added weight and different power characteristics mean the rider's skill is tested somewhat. You will have an easier ride with the original engine rebuilt, but it's down to your assessment of (a) the difficulty of your local sections and (b) your assessment of your skills to adapt to the engine."

Thanks Brian for asking the tough questions. I believe I have the personal ability, testing my skills is part of the fun of trying anything new, I would like to think that the journey is more important than the destination. Adapting the engine should not be a big deal, after saying that, as with most things the devil is in the details.

"John Wakefield, Another point to consider is that the bike would possibly be de-valued by fitting the Triumph engine. Fine if you are building a Grumph from a basket case but a shame to modify an original complete bike with provenance."

Thanks John for bringing up some very good points. The joy of this conversion is (as it appears to me after studying quite a few photos) the Triumph engine installs without butchering the chassis with the exception of the addition of a few tabs and brackets, it can be returned to the factory configuration. My Wessex is a long way from trail ready.

"Colin Sparrow As always, lots more help and advice forthcoming if you join the GRA..."

Colin, Thank you, I plan on joining "The Greeves Riders Association" sometime in June, Does the GRA take Paypal?

"Dave Higgins Hi nemosengineer, I agree with Colin, join the gra & get the full benefit of the clubs technical archives, Phil Hyde is the main man on Triumph conversions.
            But I think half the fun of a conversion is the build itself & the other half is turning up on something, just that little bit different from everyone else, so I would go for it & have fun. Dave."

Dave, We are in complete agreement and thank you for the encouragement!!!

Gentlemen, Let me thank you all for taking the time to reply with such thoughtful comments.

Best Wishes And Have A Grand Tomorrow: Mike

Comment

Mike, it's good that you asked the questions so that you got the "down" side as well as the "up"! Where I live (Borders of London) our trials sections are usually in tight woodland with gullies and roots, just waiting for a slight unbalance and a tad too much gas.....hence my wanting a lighter bike (not to mention my complete lack of ability!).
              Good luck with the bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Nemosengineer View Post
                "

"Colin Sparrow As always, lots more help and advice forthcoming if you join the GRA..."

Colin, Thank you, I plan on joining "The Greeves Riders Association" sometime in June, Does the GRA take Paypal?
                Hi Mike. Yes, the GRA does take Paypal for non UK members only - so I guess you qualify for that!

Details on the membership application form which is downloadable (usually) from the website. NOW is the best time to join as the membership runs June to May.

Good luck with the project
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Wessex Grumph

Mike

Sorry for the delay, long haul travel is a curse.

As far as I am aware the Anglian/Wessex is dimentionally the same as a TES/TFS. The Anglian/Wessex was all welded, and the TES/TFS had a bolted on rear subframe. No doubt Chris (Riflegreen) will confirm.

The majority of Triumph-Greeves installations using a beam frame do not require any frame modifications, ie, removal of lugs, etc.

Here to help

Phil
                  Last edited by Phil Hyde; 02/06/2011, 07:11 PM. Reason: Clarification of information

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                    Hi Mike. Yes, the GRA does take Paypal for non UK members only - so I guess you qualify for that!

Details on the membership application form which is downloadable (usually) from the website. NOW is the best time to join as the membership runs June to May.

Good luck with the project
                    Hi Colin,
                    As of 5:30 PM today my membership is paid (Paypal). I sent all the required information on the application form with my dues via the Paypal "Note:" box, do I still have to mail the application form?
                    It is really hard to wait as I want to get into the Archives & Historical information . Thanks for that little "push" to get me going!!!

Best Wishes: Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                      Mike

Sorry for the delay, long haul travel is a curse.

As far as I am aware the Anglian/Wessex is dimensionally the same as a TES/TFS. The Anglian/Wessex was all welded, and the TES/TFS had a bolted on rear subframe. No doubt Chris (Riflegreen) will confirm.

The majority of Triumph-Greeves installations using a beam frame do not require any frame modifications, ie, removal of lugs, etc.

Here to help

Phil
                      Hi Phil,
                      Work has been "interesting" for me too, I think the only reason I'm kept around is I meet my deadlines, it makes for some long days.
                      Thanks for the that bit of information, I will sort out the photos of any of the TES/TFS conversions I have and review them closely, more research will lead to many more questions for you. The Wessex gets delivered tomorrow and I will report back with what I find after a closer look, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks Again: Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                        Mike, it's good that you asked the questions so that you got the "down" side as well as the "up"! Where I live (Borders of London) our trials sections are usually in tight woodland with gullies and roots, just waiting for a slight unbalance and a tad too much gas.....hence my wanting a lighter bike (not to mention my complete lack of ability!).
                        Good luck with the bike!
                        Hi Brian,
                        That really sounds like great riding in a beautiful country, what we have here is lots of rocks with sand and scrub brush, typical high desert stuff and some great single track through the local mountains.
                        You guys have a great association here, with really good members, I am looking forward to more involvement here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemosengineer View Post
                          Hi Colin,
                          As of 5:30 PM today my membership is paid (Paypal). I sent all the required information on the application form with my dues via the Paypal "Note:" box, do I still have to mail the application form?
                          It is really hard to wait as I want to get into the Archives & Historical information . Thanks for that little "push" to get me going!!!

Yes Mike, please mail the form. I'll PM Rob to get you upgraded.

Welcome aboard!
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                            Yes Mike, please mail the form. I'll PM Rob to get you upgraded.

Welcome aboard!
                            Thanks Colin. The form is on its way!!!

Comment

Heres a bit of an update on my Wessex. Phil Hyde has graciously volunteered his technical help and a set of templates. (Phil once again thank you very much for your help), and I have committed to the Triumph engine swap.
                              I am still waiting for paperwork for registration, this should be done next week.
                              I have pulled the Triumph engine out from under the bench, at this point it was determined that it is not a 1971 T100C but a 1971 T100R engine, so needless to say I am looking for a T90 or early T100c head and cams, more questions to follow as to what works well as a trials configuration T100.
                              Folding footpegs from a 2000 YZ have been procured and patterns have been made to fit them in the spirit of the factory method (bolted to the swingarm pivot), fabrication will have to wait until the chassis is stripped so I can remove the previous owners attempt at footpeg relocation, the frame was not altered, the weld mess removal should go easy as there is almost no weld penetration.
                              There will be more to follow later, thank you all for your interest and inspiration.

Comment

Working...
                              X