• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 ISDT Challenger DOO 96B

I found this post on Cybermotorcycle.com

Nov 5th 2006
    subject: Greeves 1964 ISDT
    Email: tonyogri54.fsnet.co.uk
    message: Information required on Greeves ISDT reg no. DOO 96B ridden at East German ISDT in 1964

I tried the email address but it is incorrect. If you are still looking for information or if anyone knows who owns this bike, I have found some photos of your ISDT Greeves. Paul

DOO 96B was a works bike in the 1964 ISDT. I'm not sure who rode it, but I'd love to find out. Do your pictures show the rider or the ISDT riding number?

Fritz Selling rode DOO 97B for the Dutch Vase "A" team, riding number 143.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin,

I noticed in the attached photo from the GRA archive a green painted (works?) Challenger with leading link forks which seemed out of place because all the green factory works bikes in 1965 ISDT had banana front ends.

DOO96B #155 was ridden by Hitchcock so I am assuming that this is the said 1964 ISDT challenger that was also used in the 1965 ISDT.

Hope it helps, Paul
      Attached Files
      Last edited by pgc40; 19/03/2013, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Interestingly, there is a D. Hitchcock listed under British Riders' Performances in the 1964 ISDT results. He won a gold medal on a 246 cc Greeves

Paul
        Attached Files

Comment

We think DOO 96B was Bryan Sharp's bike - Vase "A" team, Gold Medal

A photo showing the reg number and the riding number 121 would be great confirmation.

DOO 96B was sold to Don Hitchcock after the '64 ISDT.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

'64 isdt

Colin,
            No. 121 was 95B

John

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
              Colin,
              No. 121 was 95B

John
              The plot thickens. 96B is recorded as "on loan" to Bryan Sharp. Just shows how careful you have to be. You do really need a contemporary photo shwoing reg plate, riding number and rider to get things straight. (Provided they hadn't swapped the plates over, of course).

What's your evidence for 121 being 95B, John?
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin and Druid,

Don Hitchcock is shown riding a villiers powered Greeves in the GRA photo archive at the 1964 ISDT and not a Challenger so that rules him out.

Druid posted a great photo of 121 with reg DOO95B earlier on the GRA forum (see attached photo).

Out of the new Greeves MX1 Challengers that were fielded in the 1964 ISDT, I can find photo evidence of the following reg number and riding numbers...

Fritz Selling riding number 143
                Mary Driver riding 172 reg DOO94B
                Monty Banks riding number 168
                Triss Sharp riding number 137 reg DOO93B

I also found this photo on the Speedtracktales website (see attached) with the following caption.....

In the background are two Greeves, #127 RT Snelling of Holland who dropped out on day 3 and #137 Tristan Sharp of Britain who picked up a gold medal ISDT 1964 (François Gragnon)

Is it my eye sight or does #127 look like number 121 in the Steve McQueen photo

I also wondered why the ISDT works challengers were painted green?

All interesting stuff!

Paul
                Attached Files

Comment

ISDT Challenger

I only believe photographic evidence nowadays. I can't remember last week let alone 50 years ago. Riders are the same.

The photo I put up was taken in the scrutineering marquee at Erfut.

Not all ISDT Challengers were green. The early ones were blue and white, see the above mentioned photo.
                  As to why they changed to Green, why not? The scramblers were going green as well.

Druid

Comment

DOO 96B - the DVLA record

Here is the DVLA record for DOO 96B. Last tax expired July 1984 & its not been exported (at least legally) Export marker N indicated not exported.
                    Strangely the colour is listed as BRONZE.
                    I would think there is a good possiblility that its around somewhere.

The vehicle details for DOO 96B are:
                    Date of Liability 01 07 1984
                    Date of First Registration 24 10 1979
                    Year of Manufacture 1964
                    Cylinder Capacity (cc) 246cc
                    CO2 Emissions Not Available
                    Fuel Type PETROL
                    Export Marker N
                    Vehicle Status Unlicensed
                    Vehicle Colour BRONZE
                    Vehicle Type Approval Not Available

Frame number 24IN165
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/10/2015, 11:03 PM.

Comment

That settles it. 1964: DOO 95B = #121 = Bryan Sharp.

So still unsure as to who rode 96B. (I did say we think it was B.Sharp.
                      And it wasn't

Don Hitchcock used 96B in 1965. He retired, as did all but two of the 30 Greeves taking part...
                      Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 21/03/2013, 06:53 AM.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

See also these threads on DOO96B looks like that number is now on 2 other bikes, an Anglian the owner of which has the V5c, and another ISDT Challenger with DOO96B on rear number plate, but where is the real DOO96B?

This pic has just come into my possession, does not look if it was taken too long ago, has V5 but last taxed 7/84, ridden by Peter Stirland in 1964 ISDT. Last V5C (logbook) issued 28 September 2012. Anyone know where it is now., looked a tidy bike in the pics

Last edited by John Wakefield; 14/02/2024, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X