DOO96B where is it now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOO96B where is it now?

This pic has just come into my possession, does not look if it was taken too long ago, has V5 but last taxed 7/84, ridden by Peter Stirland in 1964 ISDT. Last V5C (logbook) issued 28 September 2012. Anyone know where it is now., looked a tidy bike in the pics
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 03/03/2020, 08:07 PM. Reason: 2nd pic added

John,
    In spite of the number plate that is not DOO 96B, this is one of the last ISDT bikes Greeves produced, in 1969 I believe. It went to the US but was repatriated and is now owned by a GRA member.

Druid

Comment

Out of curiosity, how come it has that number plate on it, then?

Ian

Comment

Looks similar to mine, but without some of the mods I have, ie the rear brake plate has not got the same "quick assembly" torque arm, or the engine cradle I have, but the tank, seat unit, tank bag and centre stand are much the same..
        Peter.

Comment

More info has come to light, Apparently the bike was imported from Ohio USA by Terry Weedy some years ago and sold to a Greeves enthusiast in Chandlers Ford, Hants., but does not explain why it had DOO96B plate on it, presumably the new owner not having a UK reg for the bike decided to adopt a known works one
          This is the DVLA listing for DOO96B, showing it untaxed since 7/84 and with a new V5c issued on 28 September 2012, which could have been around the date that the imported bike was sold by Terry Weedy!

Vehicle make GREEVES
          Date of first registration October 1979
          Year of manufacture 1964
          Cylinder capacity 246 cc
          CO₂ emissions Not available
          Fuel type PETROL
          Euro status Not available
          Real Driving Emissions (RDE) Not available
          Export marker No
          Vehicle status Untaxed
          Vehicle colour BRONZE
          Vehicle type approval Not available
          Wheelplan 2 WHEEL Revenue weight Not available
          Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 28 September 2012

Interesting that the colour is Bronze?
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 16/02/2024, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Just to bring this thread up to date. The Greeves listed above on DVLA as DOO96B is actually an Anglian NOT the original ISDT Challenger, so a 'ringer' with a re stamped frame number! Apparently DOO96B (24IN165) was at one point owned by the late Igor Ashwell and sold by his wife to Maurice Hunt of Tarporley Cheshire in 2007 or 8, so its possible that Mr Hunt still has the bike, but without the correct V5c. The USA imported bike bearing DOO96B number plates can be discounted as its a later bike frame No 24IN200 supplied to USA rider reported as Dave Latham, it was imported back to UK by Terry Weedy and sold to a Ken Lee, it then went to Andrew King who sold it on again to someone (unknown) to restore. Why DOO96B plates were put on it is a mystery,at the time it would have been unregistered.

UPDATE: Its now come to light that the bike Igor Ashwell had with DOO96B number plate was NOT the original but in fact 24IN200 the USA bike imported by Terry Weedy and subsequently sold to Ken Lee, Andrew King then to Igor Ashwell and Maurice Hunt. The DOO96B number plate was on it when owned by Igor. (see pic below)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 16/02/2024, 09:53 PM.

Comment

A short tale. Some 30 years ago at the Festival of a 1000 bikes the club had its usual presence opposite the pit area. A good attendance of Greeves for sure. Easily 50 to 60 bikes. Some members taking advantage of track time as well. Within our static display was an Anglian trials model. Nothing really special about it save for its frame number. I never recorded the frame number, but it was in the 24IN series. The collected thoughts of members that day was the ISDT bike had been re-framed at the factory and the frame re-cycled, maybe from the scrap skip, who knows. I have no proof or other knowledge. Perhaps a parallel to the foregoing contributions..

Comment

Vehicle colour BRONZE,,,,,,,,,,Probably entered as BRONZE GREEN, but shortened by entry.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                  A short tale. Some 30 years ago at the Festival of a 1000 bikes the club had its usual presence opposite the pit area. A good attendance of Greeves for sure. Easily 50 to 60 bikes. Some members taking advantage of track time as well. Within our static display was an Anglian trials model. Nothing really special about it save for its frame number. I never recorded the frame number, but it was in the 24IN series. The collected thoughts of members that day was the ISDT bike had been re-framed at the factory and the frame re-cycled, maybe from the scrap skip, who knows. I have no proof or other knowledge. Perhaps a parallel to the foregoing contributions..
                  Looks like it was the bike that Alan Scott has, there cant be too many Anglians with 24IN frame numbers! Pity we heard no more from Alan Scott and some pics of the 'Anglian' registered as DOO96B. Are you still out there Alan?

Comment

I have a works Anglian (which I shall be selling shortly) one of the SOO series, I have the buff and V5 logbooks, the frame number does not follow the 24IN format but the normal Greeves. Just a comment DOO96B I believe to be a Challenger? Open to be corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Hampton View Post
                      I have a works Anglian (which I shall be selling shortly) one of the SOO series, I have the buff and V5 logbooks, the frame number does not follow the 24IN format but the normal Greeves. Just a comment DOO96B I believe to be a Challenger? Open to be corrected.
                      Yes DOO96B is a Challenger. Anglian's should not have a 24IN number, the one I mentioned is obviously a 'ringer' You may do better to advertise your Anglian in the For Sale & Wanted thread.

Comment

Thanks John I saw a Greeves Anglian at the Festival of a Thousand bikes a few years back. Yes it had 24IN ...frame stamped but in the vertical not in the horizontal as one would expect. Not sure if this is the same one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence Hampton View Post
                          Thanks John I saw a Greeves Anglian at the Festival of a Thousand bikes a few years back. Yes it had 24IN ...frame stamped but in the vertical not in the horizontal as one would expect. Not sure if this is the same one.
                          I am sure it is,obviously the same bike that Phill Hyde spotted and commented on further back on this thread. Pity that Alan Scott chose not to continue the conversation or provide any photo's. No doubt it will turn up again, maybe on the dreaded 'fleabay'

Comment

There does appear to have been; perhaps still is; an issue with fabricated or altered frame numbers, where purported 'works' bikes are concerned. There are those who feel they can make money by cheating prospective buyers; even fellow club members at times. Sad individuals....

Comment

These pics of 24IN200 the USA imported Challenger 2 were taken whilst in the ownership of member Ken Lee before he sold it to Andrew King and subsequently to Igor Ashwell where it mysteriously gained a rear number plate for DOO96B. Clearly it has no rear number plate in Kens pics.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X