No announcement yet.

Telescopic Forks for TFS - What Length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like the organisers lack the guts to ban these 'new build trick bikes' where a lot of money has been invested by owners, but are prepared to refuse an entry from a Greeves owner on a 'shoe string budget' on an original spec bike that is a year over the so called age limit. So going by their rules a 1958 TA with modern Metal Profile or Ceriani forks would be eligible.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/07/2016, 10:12 PM.

Comment

That is about it John. I can understand banana's not being allowed as they are post '65, but the rules should apply all round. I have seen bikes in the pre-'65 with, just as an example, modern anodized wheel rims etc which were of a profile and type never seen in probably the '80's, let alone pre '65. The transgressions are so blatant I cannot understand how they get past the scrutineers.

As I said, spectators were shaking their heads in disbelief.

Comment

Strange

There is definately lots of rule bending going on.. I see that bananas are banned as they were not introduced until 1965.. And that the bike have to maintain there period looks...

But... How many so called pre65 machines bear any resemblance to the original machines??

There are more Ariel HT5 around now than in 1958.. The last of the Francis Barnets and James trials bikes of 1964 were only sold in really small numbers but they are everywhere now.. BSA didn't build a decent bantam until about 1967 but these modern interpretations of these are allowed in the pre65 class??

fortunately most clubs run a pre70 two stoke class now, so you can still get your Anglians dirty...

Scott

Comment

Banana Forks

Yep Pre 70 gets rid of all the eligibility problems. In the South East we have Pre 67 which works out ok. So Scotland get yourself sorted! John P.

Comment

Let Scotland have there independence, and stuff the so called pre 65 Scottish as far as i am concerned, i will just ride in a few decent events from now on , even the Sammy Miller rounds this year have been reduced to an event for the Super young riders and the middle route has been made even harder for the likes of the top experts as they find that route to hard and they have all the clout with the organizers!! so us regular riders of average riding now have only sidecar sections, which consist of sharp turns ,and big holes , and not the thing for solo machines.
            The Priddy Trial, and the others that we have still laid out are the only ones where you can have a safe enjoyable day out

Comment

Pre-65 Events

Could not agree more about the comments about the present pre-65.

It's become a bit like a 'See how clever I am' parade.

Or 'Look what a good 'engineer' I am.

Or 'See how many modern bits I have incorporated onto my 'old bike'.

And some seem to have developed a disdainful attitude towards those who ride more modest machinery.

It's meant to be fun, not the final exercise on an engineering course.
              I've probably said too much.
              Regards
              The Lad

Comment

I think most of us agree with the sentiments above.

Comment

Yes, well all mine are modified to some extent.

But my modifications (in my opinion) keep the essential period character of the machine. They are still very much recognisable as a trials machine of the period.

But this is just 'old hat' (from a bygone generation) these days.

Regards
                  The Lad

Comment

Originally posted by ian640 View Post
                    I'm no expert....

Still be interested to hear a recommended length for teles on a TFS.

Thanks.
                    Now that everyone's had their say on the published rules, any chance of an opinion on a length for telescopic forks?

Comment

Fork Geometry Calculator.

Hi Ian,

This might help, as long as you have some base line measurements to work with.....

RB Racing, rake, trail, triple clamp, frame, Sugar Bear, chopper, motorcycle, sine, cosine, tangent, calculator, Harley, Harley-Davidson

Brian.

Comment

Would it not be simpler for someone with a TFS to measure their forks and post the details here?
                        John A - 268

Comment

Too easy.....

Comment

TFS Fork Length....?

Originally posted by John-Boy View Post
                            Would it not be simpler for someone with a TFS to measure their forks and post the details here?
                            Hi John,

I completely agree, but Ian has been waiting for a response to his query for nine days now, and I just wanted to try and see if I could offer him something to help in the meantime when he re-posted it.....I also thought it could be useful if he might need to modify the yolk offset to get rake and trail figures in the ball park.....

But yes, surely someone out there with a TFS could nip out to the garage with a tape measure to help Ian out with this basic info.....

Brian.

Comment

There is some guidance on the Greeves Motorcycles site that may help:

John A - 268

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                                Hi Ian,

This might help, as long as you have some base line measurements to work with.....

RB Racing, rake, trail, triple clamp, frame, Sugar Bear, chopper, motorcycle, sine, cosine, tangent, calculator, Harley, Harley-Davidson

Brian.
                                Thanks Brian. You've obviously deduced my 2nd favourite motorcycle film (after On Any Sunday of course) is of course Easy Rider . Still unsure over the paint scheme for the tank though - Billy's or Captain America's? The maths is interesting nonetheless....

Comment

Working...
                                X