No announcement yet.

Telescopic Forks for TFS - What Length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telescopic Forks for TFS - What Length?

Hi,

I'm going to be fitting telescopic forks to my TFS. Can anyone recommend what would be an ideal fork length?

Thank you,

Ian.

Originally posted by ian640 View Post
    Hi,

I'm going to be fitting telescopic forks to my TFS. Can anyone recommend what would be an ideal fork length?

Thank you,

Ian.
    I think as long as the wheel reaches the ground ian, that should be enough........

Comment

There are a pair on eBay at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ceriani-35...cAAOSw3YNXaajd
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/07/2016, 07:38 PM. Reason: Tele forks for sale

Comment

Thanks John. Do you think they'll be long enough? The seller says 30.25 inches. If they're the type fitted to an Anglian, is the length of the headstock the same as a TFS?

Dave,

Thanks for that - does't matter really as I usually ride like this: http://www.photobysergio.fr/toni-bou-compil.html

Comment

[QUOTE=ian640;30867]Thanks John. Do you think they'll be long enough? The seller says 30.25 inches. If they're the type fitted to an Anglian, is the length of the headstock the same as a TFS?

If they're Anglian forks they should fit the TFS headstock. I've just fitted a pair of Mk II bananas to my TFS with no problem.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

I'm no expert but comparing photos implies to me they're not Anglian forks.

Still be interested to hear a recommended length for teles on a TFS.

Thanks.

Comment

Having watched that video, if anyone feels they need some tuition......Adam Raga will be doing a masterclass session at the Haslam's Round Rocket Plantation (West London) "playground" soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde
                A bit late to this thread. Telescopic forks on a TFS will certainly change its handling.

Dimensionally, the TFS and Anglian/Wessex are very similar. Yes, the works Anglians had teles but look closer at the yokes. Very much modded to make them steer.

Without a doubt the best fork for the TFS is the later series banana, but then I am biased.

Good luck Ian.

All the Greeves bikes at this year's pre65 Scottish had teles. I think bananas aren't allowed in the trial, which I'm predominantly building my TFS for.

Comment

Telescopic Forks for TFS

Ian you are correct on Greeves Banana Forks not allowed in the Pre65 Scottish .
                  Below is taken from the Pre65 Scottish eligibility guide

Front Forks and Yokes

The maximum fork diameter for use is 35mm or 1⅜” diameter
                  and a maximum length of 32 inches or 81.3cm from wheel
                  spindle centre to the top of the fork leg cap. Modern internals
                  can be machined to accept original or replica fork bottoms, ie
                  BSA, Triumph, AJS, Royal Enfield and Norton etc are all
                  eligible. Dot, Cotton and Greeves can retain their original style
                  of leading link forks or can be fitted with telescopic forks. Only
                  Greeves’ Bananas are excluded.
                  Complete Classic telescopicforks and yokes are eligible, these include, Metal Profile, REH and Ceriani. Fork yokes must follow an original designwhether they are new billet,cast alloy or steel, also
                  SINGLE pinch bolts to be on the inside only, eg NO Marzocchi, Betor,
                  Bultaco, Montesa, Yamaha or 4-stud BSA/Triumph etc unless
                  fitted as original equipment.

Comment

Why are banana forks not permitted as they preceded tele forks?

Comment

Stick any Teles on seems the par for the course as far as Scotland is concerned, !!? as long as they are not bananas, what a load of rubbish i cant be bothered with all this political crap that is now killing of are old bike events I will stick with the Bananas as we don't get that many rock steps in the South

Comment

Banana forks are banned because they were not fitted to Greeves bikes until 1965 so not Pre65 but you can have 2016 Marzocchis or Betors fitted into a pair of Norton bottons and a pair of 2016 billet alloy yokes .The reason is that the bikes must retain a classic appearance.
                        Link to Scottish pre65 Eligibility guide

Comment

That's spot on. The first use of banana forks in a trial was the 1965 SSDT. Don Smith, Tony Davis and Malcolm Davis had them fitted to their works 24TFS trials bikes.

So not "pre-65" by any stretch of the imagination. Shame really, they're very much in period, aren't they?
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
                            Banana forks are banned because they were not fitted to Greeves bikes until 1965 so not Pre65 but you can have 2016 Marzocchis or Betors fitted into a pair of Norton bottons and a pair of 2016 billet alloy yokes .The reason is that the bikes must retain a classic appearance.
                            Link to Scottish pre65 Eligibility guide
                            http://ssdt.org/docman/204-2016-scot...bility-booklet
                            What a load of bollocks Just encourages the new build James etc trick bikes. As Dick says killing off the true classic events.
                            Last edited by John Wakefield; 12/07/2016, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I followed the pre '65 SSDT last year on my 1958 Matchless G3LCT, and whilst there were a few pretty original looking bikes competing, plenty were not, and I was shocked at several obvious 'cheaters'. For example, an Ariel that the components of which, apart from the crankcases (possibly), so obviously had their origins firmly in the last two or three years, frame included, not 5 decades ago, and with no attempt to disguise the fact. Quite a few spectators, who are mostly very knowledgable, were voicing amazement that such bikes were able to secure an entry. What on earth is going on there?

Comment

Working...
                              X