No announcement yet.

Anglian front shock replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Chris. I measured them up with the forks off the bike and I made it about 14", but it's hard to be sure you've got the loop at the right angle. 14" or so it is then!
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Anglian front shocks

Okay folks,
      Have sent my 'original' front shock to Falcon shocks for their perusal. It is 13.9" long and has a 57lb/inch spring...........does this sound like the original fitting? [I reckon that the spring was too hard for the front]. What do you all know/reckon?

Have now got to make my my mind up as to replacements!
      Thanks

Comment

Anglian front shocks

Sent off one of my original front shocks to Falcon. They measured the Girling spring rate as being about 57lbs(blue & yellow stripes), damper had a v. pitted rod and was virtually empty.........anyway asked Robin just to replicate the original, which he has done.
        New dampers are fitted the 'correct' way up, have chrome springs(will probably paint them black) and have a Nitrogen precharge (which hopefully won't leak away too quickly). They are slightly bigger diameter and in fact there is a tiny interference (fag paper!) between the damper and the brake torque arm on my early banana forks(triangular upstand on bottom link)-but will be able to sort that out with judicious, miniscule, spacing!
        Just fitted them yesterday so haven't tested 'in anger'.........they can only be better than the old ones!
        Thanks for all your reponses/info.
        David

Comment

David,

There were 3 versions of the first(ish) Anglian forks. The originals drawn up on the 27th Aug 1965 had the brake torque arm on the front of the fork legs. The later type with the torque arm behind were drawn up on the 29th Dec 1965.

On the 2nd Sep 1965, the fork loop was extended back 3/4" to give more tyre clearance. Finally, the suspension unit lower mounting point was moved down into the loop tube.

If you have the stand-off type lower mounting, you can fit what you like, it will be nowhere near the loop and not have the problem you get with the later type.

Rob

Comment

Anglian Front shocks

Rob,
            Although there may be 3 versions drawn I would suggest that only 2 versions were actually produced (apart from the later type). The dates, only 1 week apart, suggest that the DO got something wrong and that it was amended before any went into production.
            Usually the original drawing has something noted such as "obsolete" or "no longer used" but not always.

Druid

Comment

Bannana Shocks

Hi all,
              at present we are testing out some new Hagon 14" shocks for these forks and they are working very well. Saw Martin yesterday and put 5 pairs on order. These are only the hydraulics and you will need to fit your old springs, but they are a good copy of the originals.

Terry. TDS Services.

Comment

Working...
              X