No announcement yet.

Anglian Rear Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a point on your gearing issues, regarding chain fouling, another & better way to avoid this, is to reduce your crankshaft primary gear, which in effect slows down your g'box, allowing you to increase the size of your secoundry g/box sprocket.
    This would remove your problem of the chain rubbing on the swing arm, i do use this practice on my bsa mx bikes, it allows you to reduce the gearing considerably, without having to use a rear sprocket, the size of a penny farthing on the back end... dave.

Comment

Dave, been there!
      Problem is the short length of the primary chain doesn't give much room for changes! An 18T gives a good ratio but the standard chain is far too slack and one link less is too tight! Also, you have to take a bit off the main bearing housing to clear the chain as it is that much nearer the crankshaft. A 17T will take the next size down chain but even more needs to come off the housing.

Therefore, changes are a bit fiddly. Probably OK to sort these things out before the engine is built as you can easily machine the housing and shave a bit off between engine and gearbox.

Advice I received from people who do road trials was to leave the primary side alone and stick with standard gearing. I have tried 17 & 18T but have now reverted to standard. However, if I decide to convert it to a mega-low ratio hole digger, then I will have to go back to the drawing board!

Comment

Anglian Rear Shocks.

Hi all,
        good to get other peoples opinions. You have probably got your shocks by now, but I will tell you what I use.
        I have been using Betor rear shocks with 40lb spring which I found very good. But like yourself mine were getting a bit tired. I went along to Tony at Hagon Shocks and he made me up a pair of, as he puts it, super, super, super soft shocks. I tried them out at a local trial and found I had to stiffen them by one click. I find them brilliant. I had a win in the historic class at Mons this year, and a couple of wins in our local trials riding the 50/50 route.
        I am really pleased with them and they look the part. They are just over 13inches long. I agree with what has been said about changing the geometry, but anglians do tend to have a long fork rake and with the long rear shocks, it does straighten it up a little. As for wear on the swinging arm, I put a piece of nylon on it and use the same tensioner as Mike Tizzard does. My gearing is leave primary ratio alone and run 13T front and 61T rear with an IRC rear tyre and Michelin front. This seems to work for me. But this gearing would not suit long distance trials. The Hagon shocks are about £130. in my opinion well worth it. If you want some, give me a shout.

Terry Sewell

Comment

Anglian Shocks

Hi Keith,
          told you those Hagon shocks were good. Just had two clear rounds at the weekend.

Terry

Comment

Superb. Congratulations Terry.
            Dr Keith Beach

Comment

Working...
            X