24 TES Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 TES Questions

I have been doing some work on the Greeves I recently purchased and have a few questions:

1) The swing arm pin appears seized. Does it just pull out from either side?

2) There is an angle that runs across the engine plates behind the engine. Refer the attached photo. On other photos I have seen studs from the gearbox that run through the angle. Are these just to stiffen the assembly or are the engine and gearbox positions independantly adjustable?

3)In the right side of the frame at the back is a spare bracket. This is identical to the brackets for the right side muffler seen on photos of the later TFS. My bike has the left side muffler and square exhaust. Any idea what the bracket is for? Does this mean the rear subframe has been changed?

4) On the left side of the frame are two brackets (See the photo below) I assume the top one is for the chain guard. Is this correct and what is the bracket on the front of the swingarm for?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Barnett

Hi Peter ,

The swing arm spindle is supposed to be a sliding fit , after forty odd years most have seized solid , I have an Anglian the same . The only answer in the long run is to cut them out bit by bit .

The piece of angle iron acros the engine plates should have two bolts that tighten up against the top gearbox bolts of the engine , this effectively pushes the engine forward under tension , why ,I never did find out .

Don't know the answer on the odd bracket .

The brackets on the front of the swing arm are for the chain guard .

Regards , Chris

Comment

Thanks for the reply Chris,

I will leave the swingarm until I get to the painting stage.
      Hopefully a bit of heat may persuade it to move.

I will have to make up some studs for the back of the engine. Does seem a strange detail given the engine and gearbox appear to be bolted together.

regards,

Peter.

Comment

Gearbox strengthening on TES.

Hi there, the angle iron on engine plates with adjustable bolts was mainly to strengthen the gearbox on the scramblers as they had the habit of pulling the back of the gearbox out! It was fitted on the MDS and as the TES used virtually the same frame they were left on the trials models...John.

Comment

TES Questions

Peter,
          In my opinion the swinging arm spindle won't come out even with heat. Excessive hammering will merely bend the lugs on the frame or even the tubes. Do as Chris says, cut it into sections and then remove the pieces, even that is hard enough.

Druid

Comment

s/arm spindle

If the bushes are ok I would leave it as it is. I have the same trouble with a Yamaha T80 Townmate.

Comment

As the bike is probably 25 years older than your Townmate I suspect the metalastics are knackered & if the bike is to be powder coated then they need to come out .

It is likely the spindle is seized in the metalastics , the cradle & the frame , believe me heat won't do it . Cut out is the answer .

The heads of the bolts for the angle need to slightly counter sunk to fit onto the gearbox studs .

Chris

Comment

Swing Arm Pivot and Gearbox Studs

Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone tried cutting out a swing arm spindle? What is the best way? I assume drilling out the spindle from each side?

Chris, you mentioned counter sinking the bolt heads for the gearbox bolts. Are they bolts that screw into the back of the gearbox or simply studs screwed into the gearbox and held in place by lock nuts like the picture below that I found? What is correct.

Regards,

Peter.

Attached Files
                Last edited by nzpeterb; 19/09/2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Hi Peter ,

Like the photo , long bolts with a countersink in the head to go against the gearbox stud & nut .

With seized pin , I usually drill the ends first to make that part of the stud thinner , then cut through the end of the metalastic bush that abuts the cradle and the frame centre section , the remains of the metalastic can be burnt out of the swing arm and the outer bush left split with a hacksaw .

To get the center bit out of the frame heat will be needed .

It is a long job and don't burn the bushes out indoors !.

Chris

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I suddenly realise what you are saying about the bolts for the back of the gearbox. I now understand it is the existing stud and nut that I have on the gearbox plus a separate bolt where the head just pushes against the gearbox studs.

Thanks also for the description of removing the swingarm pin. I can understand why it will take a while. I would be tempted to leave as is but the pin is seized off centre and in going back to bolt on foot rests there is not as much thread as I want on one side.

Thanks again,

Peter.

Comment

Peter ,

I actually started to take mine apart today , I bought a cheap air recip saw , makes it a lot easier .

Got the swing arm out & just need to remove the outers of the metalastics .

Then start fighting the pin where it goes through the cradle & main frame .

Horrible job .

Chris

Comment

Here you go Peter ,

One Anglian with the swinging arm cut out . Note the bend in the spindle , the swing arm with the bushes out , the frame in bits plus all the alloy waiting to be vapour blasted .
                        Chris
                        Last edited by riflegreen; 29/10/2011, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Anglian Project

Chris,

Thanks for the pictures. You are well on your way towards restoration.
                          I will leave mine until I am ready to pull the motor out. At present I am trying to sort out any missing parts and make sure everything fits before starting to dismantle.

regards,

Peter.

Comment

Peter ,

long way to go yet , the last owner took it apart 30 years ago to rebuild it & didn't .

It sat in a damp shed all that time . It is a bit of a mess .

Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X