Griffon 250 Enduro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon 250 Enduro

I have just picked up my Griffon Enduro which has a few parts missing, however I have all of them except a kickstart.
    Really nice glitter blue (according to Druid it is moorland blue and he still has a jar of the glitter somewhere)

Another Jeckel Industries bike so from the East Coast (Glens Falls)
    60N 103 so the third one produced of how many?

-more to follow

Progress

I thought it was suspicious that the primary chain and piston were in the box Still makes it quicker for Dave to strip down

Clutch does not look like it has seen a lot of action

However the barrel will need honing at the least and possibly a rebore, hence the new piston in the box.

I have put a MCH66 headlamp on after folding the brackets forward, the point I noticed when buying it.
    The rear loop was new from Parkwood products, good old Duncan and the NOS rear taillamp unit from Steve (Villiers Services).

The rims are a bit rusty and the front has a flat spot so I will have to have a think about what to do with them.

The alloy on the hub is nice and shiny under the dirt.

Comment

You could have bought another gem there Tony, possibly undergoing some serious expenditure, when it stopped for some reason.....who knows......but its nice to get a lucky break now & again.....looks good....

Comment

What he said.....

Another cracker there Tony, what a great find!

Good luck with it mate, and please keep throwing the business at Dave.....he's promised to invite me to his Barbados 'retreat' if all goes well.....as long as I supply the burgers for the barby.....

Shouldn't be hard.....I've got an extremely crammed freezer these days....

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 05/05/2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

That's no problem as I have a Priority Customer Loyalty card which takes me to the front of the queue

I expect the amount of work required you will get a free flight to the 'retreat', obviously burgers not included

Comment

Tony, read the small print.....customer loyalty card only applicable when the applicant is accompaned by both grandparents.....& they must be breathing.....no urns excepted........................

Comment

Where's me two inch Whitworth.....

Tony.....you HAVE read the small print.....HAVEN'T YOU.....

bRiAn.
              Attached Files

Comment

Ok Brian, i do look small there, but i think its just the angle of the shot....

Comment

.....but you were only four then.....!!

Comment

I reckon he probably has more skill than me
                    Certainly knows what to do with a monkey wrench

Comment

I have just cleaned up the rear wheel and found that the speedometer drive is empty .
                      At first I thought it was a Triumph style one however having taken it off it is an Italian one, I think produced by VDO, stamped 18 on the end.

According to a blog on ADVriders.com

The gear ratio of the drive for 18'' rear wheel and a 4,00 / 18'' trials tire is: 24 x 18 x 235

Manufactor of the Speedo and the drive is VDO.

CEV means certificado eléctrico vehículo = certificated electrical device for vehicles.

My one

There are a few different ones on eBay however presumably the 18 stamped on my one refers to the rear wheel size

Any one got an idea where to get one? (yes I can trawl eBay)

or would a Triumph style one fit?

Comment

Enfield speedo drive

I think that the Enfield speedo drive will be okay as a replacement to the Italian one. It is a similar size, 2:1 ratio and has the right rotation. At £10.99 worth trying. The Triumph ones are larger and about 4 times the price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ROYAL...IAAOSwLF1X-7hb

There are a few different spacers that can be used with it and are cheap to buy and might only need modifying in terms of length.

Is the rotation the same as the Enfield fits on the front wheel?

Comment

I have just dropped the Enduro off with Dave Higgins. He is going to strip the engine and see what condition it is in. So far all my American bikes have had engines that run, so fingers crossed on this one. Though the fact that there was no piston attached tends to make me think it won't run

Comment

Prognosis sounds good for the engine so far. Dave has stripped the engine , crankshaft is good, big end bearing had a small amount of lift,
                            so he has split the crank & replaced with new bearing(s).
                            The cylinder bore is within tolerance, however there was some minor scoring around the exhaust port, the piston is ok to use and also is within tolerance.

Gearbox next

Comment

And here it is Tony..
                              All bearings u/s, no chiped teeth, but showing moderate wear to selector dogs.
                              Gear engagement is good & selector mechanism, forks etc are not worn, final drive sprocket is shot though.......
                              So, a very usable box, when rebuilt.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X