Griffon Drive Chain Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Griffon Drive Chain Tension

Ok I hope I don't get a slap on the wrist for not searching for this (I tried) but how much slack should there be on my 250 Griffon drive chain? I'm use to modern MX bikes with a ton of slack so could use some help on this one.

Originally posted by johnu View Post
    Ok I hope I don't get a slap on the wrist for not searching for this (I tried) but how much slack should there be on my 250 Griffon drive chain? I'm use to modern MX bikes with a ton of slack so could use some help on this one.
    Looks like you need to buy this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greeves-Ch...UAAOSwo3pWcqOx

Comment

About 3/4 in flex at tightest point .... So not slack at all like modern

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
        About 3/4 in flex at tightest point .... So not slack at all like modern
        Thanks Kim

Comment

Originally posted by johnu View Post
          Thanks Kim

Hi John,

I use UHMW (Teflon type bearing plastic) and attach to inside of the stock chain guide and works well...so far anyways!

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
            Hi John,

I use UHMW (Teflon type bearing plastic) and attach to inside of the stock chain guide and works well...so far anyways!

Kenny
            Thanks Ken i'll give it a try!

Comment

hi John thought you were referrimg to primary drive chain . For main chain again at tightest point with somebody sitting on bike to need and middle finger between chain and point it meets swinging arm. 1.5 to 2 in max . On my Griffons I dispensed with stock guide and fitted one off a pre 2007 yz250 f .... If u do that you can run with more slack in the chain

Comment

Chain tension

Hi John, I have always set up a new bike like this,
                put bike on a stand,
                remove rear shocks
                set swinging arm at position when chain is at it's tightest,
                turn wheel to ascertain tightest spot
                set chain with half to three quarters of an inch of free play,
                tighten up spindle and replace shocks
                cut a block of wood to sit on arm and take up play,
                make sure you can repeat acurate position of wood
                chuck it in your tool box and use it for quick and easy chain adjustment
                works on modern or old bikes, hope I remembered everything.
                Good luck and a happy new year, Steve

Comment

Chain tension

Hi John, forgot to mention, make sure you line up rear wheel carefully whilst setting up, measure from rim to s,arm each side and just to make sure use a straight edge or a length of string to line up front to rear wheels. Regards, Steve
                  Last edited by Steve Cooper; 31/12/2015, 01:02 PM. Reason: forgot a bit

Comment

One gent I know bought one of the laser devices that can be attached to the rear sprocket and directed to the front one. On quite a lot of bikes, he finds the alignment is out if you use the given marks or snail cams. On comp bikes this is normally due to a slight set having been introduced into the frame or swing-arm during a bad landing. On road bikes, he looks for accident damage to account for similar problems!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                      One gent I know bought one of the laser devices that can be attached to the rear sprocket and directed to the front one. On quite a lot of bikes, he finds the alignment is out if you use the given marks or snail cams. On comp bikes this is normally due to a slight set having been introduced into the frame or swing-arm during a bad landing. On road bikes, he looks for accident damage to account for similar problems!
                      I use a green laser pen.E bay about £3

Comment

Do they do Moorland Blue laser pens?

Comment

Apparently they do

Apparently they do

Of course it might not be the correct Moorland blue

Comment

Near enough!!!! I have a B & Q laser level and I am going to make an adaptor to sit the unit on a sprocket to check my bike's alignments.
                            Last edited by Brian Catt; 01/01/2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                              Do they do Moorland Blue laser pens?
                              Green is the brightest

Comment

Working...
                              X