Anyone identify this rider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
    Keith, everyone has there opinion on how there bike should look, wether it be an as is effect or a full blown rest job, its what ever floats your boat, so when two opinions collide.. no problem, thats the way it is... just opinions.
    This is a forum to air your views after all....
    Agreed Dave. These are my honest opinions. These days I'm getting concerned about the number of badly over restored bikes. Often done by guys who may not be aware of the damage they are doing.
    But I'm considering making a Tri-Greeves out of my newly acquired 32DC, I do feel a pinch of guilt, it is a historic vehicle. I even worry about repainting, will probably try to preserve the best of the paint.I guess that I see Greeves bikes from a different viewpoint. But if someone wants to change their bike, it is their choice.
    I would expect to be criticised by some if my restoration was unsympathetic. I remember Bob Currie saying to me that GJN 269 should be kept "as is". I have a big set of photos of the bike as it was. Can send copies to anyone who is interested.

Keith

Comment

The subject is a contentious one, with people having differing views on it. I don't like "over restoration" because it is unrealistic, but always remember that the manufacturers produced BullShXt Bikes for the major shows, so I presume that there are precedents for these over restored machines.
      We then come to the problem of bikes with a definite history and development bikes, be they roadster of competition. Should they be taken back to standard or left in their developed state? Again it's the owner's decision, whatever the rest of us feel.
      In the motorcycling world, we have a great history of special building and Greeves machines have been subject to modification throughout the years, so I can't see any problem with different engines being put in Greeves frame, with the exception of the "historic" catagory, i.e. if it were the first or last of a model that should be preserved, or a significant machine, say a Champ winning comp model, or a Press demonstrator Roadster, all of which I feel should be saved "as was" at the time of the event (maybe cleaned a bit!)

Comment

Some very good points there Brian, think you have summed up the situation well.
        There does seem a current trend to restore bikes back to factory or better (bullshit condition). Whilst this does I suppose preserve bikes in a definitive state for future generations in museums etc I dont think it encourages use of the bike be it in competition or on the road or track.
        I think that maybe Keith is 'shooting himself in the foot' when he says "I'm considering making a Tri-Greeves out of my newly acquired 32DC, I do feel a pinch of guilt, it is a historic vehicle" I personally do not condone modifying an original 32DC in 2014 (or later) into a Tri Greeves. Yes ok if it was done back in its earlier years as that then becomes part of its history. This trend of modifying older vehicles to get a better performance is rife in the classic car world, with cars like the MG Midget being fitted with K series engines disc brakes etc. In a very extreme example in the classic bus world someone has rebuilt a 1950 Bedford OB coach as a camper with modern IVECO running gear with only the outer body shell the original parts, it is reported to do 90 mph.

It would have originally looked like this one
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/10/2014, 11:54 AM. Reason: bus pics added

Comment

For clarity what exactly is the definition of a 'badly over restored Greeves motorcycle' and 'what damage' are these guys actually committing.
          Is a badly over restored Greeves any worse than a bodged up Greeves special with an engine from a different manufacturer?
          Remember motorcyclists are a minority in this day and age with bad press, bad general public relations and a on-going and increasingly difficult and complicated fight with legislation.
          We need to stick together and not promote divisions within the biking fraternity.
          I can appreciate the beauty of a well restored motorcycle just as much as one with patina.
          I can also appreciate the big-bucks specials and those bikes that are kept running on a shoestring with what's available to hand.
          I have no issue with collectors who don't ride, I have no problem with those that frown upon collectors who simply have one bike to ride.
          We are all bikers with a passion for bikes.
          There is no past, there is no future, just here and now, enjoy it whilst you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr11mpy View Post
            For clarity what exactly is the definition of a 'badly over restored Greeves motorcycle' and 'what damage' are these guys actually committing.
            Is a badly over restored Greeves any worse than a bodged up Greeves special with an engine from a different manufacturer?
            Remember motorcyclists are a minority in this day and age with bad press, bad general public relations and a on-going and increasingly difficult and complicated fight with legislation.
            We need to stick together and not promote divisions within the biking fraternity.
            I can appreciate the beauty of a well restored motorcycle just as much as one with patina.
            I can also appreciate the big-bucks specials and those bikes that are kept running on a shoestring with what's available to hand.
            I have no issue with collectors who don't ride, I have no problem with those that frown upon collectors who simply have one bike to ride.
            We are all bikers with a passion for bikes.
            There is no past, there is no future, just here and now, enjoy it whilst you can.
            Totally agree Brian. But when someone does it to "your" old bike it hurts.

There are massive divisions in the bike world, I've been in most of them. The worst is the 2 stroke versus 4 stroke controversy. I love all kinds of bikes from mopeds to superbikes and Greeves are a very special marque to me.
            I've never stopped riding since 1957 when I bought my first bike.

I do enjoy it, at 74 there is a fair amount of urgency to get what you want. And I have. My 32DC will be my last bike.

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Bolas
              Thanks John. How do I contact Dick Dunkley

Keith
              Hi Keith,Sorry to hijack this thread but I cant find the original.Its about that thread you did regarding keeping bikes original.You mentioned your old bike 52/101 and how it had been restored.I was talking to Dave Bradley last night on the phone and I want to set the record straight.Dave does not have a computer so he only knows about it via others.I regard you both as friends so don't take anything personal.Dave bought the bike about 20 years after you sold it.He only bought a frame with forks bent to take a 21" wheel.The engine was an 8E/4 instead of the original 6E/3,it had steel engine plates instead of alloy,the tank was off a Scottish,no wheels or seat.As you can see he couldn,t keep it original.He restored it as Roy Halls rode it in about 1954 from a photo.Dave has a vast Knowledge of early Greeves and he often helps me and others with info and his rebuilds are as near perfect as possible.Like you he loves his Greeves and he tries to be as original as possible.He also wants a perfect original 8E magneto cover if anybody has one.He is always looking for early competition Greeves to restore.I,m not criticising anybody,just listing the facts.Dave and his late long time friend Tim did a lot to promote Greeves by displaying their Greeves at many bike shows and Dave still does.

Comment

I've moved the post for you, Stuart.
                Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 04/11/2014, 08:13 AM.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Not quite original!

Rudi Boom on a JAP engined Greeves. Funnily enough, the original Facebook page was in Dutch and when translated, it changed GREEVES to DOT.......
                  Attached Files

Comment

anyone identify this rider

I at first glance thought about Roger Snoad, but i remember the check helmet was a much smaller design. Dennis Smith also had a similar style on his hat, but i dont remember him riding greeves though

Comment

anyone identify this rider.

Hi there. Did anyone actually identify the rider. I'm Peter Vine's granddaughter. I have asked my nan (his wife) if it is him but she cannot tell as picture a little out of focus, or at least that's how it's loading on pc.

Comment

Unknown rider

Michelle,
                        I'm 95% certain that the rider isn't Peter. The clothing, style and physical build are all wrong. As far as I know Peter went from a Norton 500T to a Greeves - no JAP Greeves in between.

Druid (your Nan's cousin)

Comment

Hi Druid
                          Thank you for letting me know, and nice to meet you.
                          I am Ruth's second daughter.
                          thank you for all the information too. Will help with my research.

Comment

Working...
                          X