X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone identify this rider?

From a small photo I found recently.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Catt; 12/10/2014, 12:31 AM.

Friction damped rear suspension, so that is a 1954 bike. That must narrow things down a bit, they didn't sell that many...
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Look at the size of his boots!.... probably just someone clowning around...

Comment

I suppose it might be Peter Vine. He was Greeves "works" rider after Frank Byford left. He was a fairly well-built chap.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Unidentified rider

I've resisted coming up with a name just in case someone has more info but judging by the date and knowing Peter's riding style I would hazard a guess that it is Peter Vine although the quality of the shot make it a trifle speculative.

Druid

Comment

Thanks for the info so far, I have a number of photos taken by an uncle that I have found and will digitise.

Comment

Some more pics

Just found more.
              Attached Files

Comment

No idea who either of them are. The first one has friction-damped front suspension, so is a 1955 or 1956 bike. The second one looks as if it needs new rubber fork bushes!
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Could the rider with the chequered helmet be a young Roger Snoad?

Comment

Identify this rider

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                    From a small photo I found recently.
                    Brian. I bought this bike at the Cheltenham bike jumble in 1984. The guy thought it was a bodged up old Greeves field bike!!

It is 52/101 the prototype scrambler from 1952? I was a lucky guy. The reg number is GJN 269 and the bike still exists but it has been dreadfully restored into a glittering mess thereby destroying all it's patina and history.

These pictures were from the Yeovil Festival of Transport in 1984. I took the bike along and rose it in the display arena. I also rode the bike in a VMCC South West coast run the same year. Tried to ride it in a couple of trials but fell off all the time and realised that it was too important to chance any damage. I sold the bike to Andrew King and he subsequently sold it on to the soulless guy who at great cost ... ruined it.

Might well be the bike in your picture.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ; 15/10/2014, 05:41 PM. Reason: Trying to add photos

Comment

52/101 (XP4) is owned by and was restored by a GRA Committee member. He is a friend and one of the most dedicated Greeves enthusiasts I've ever met. His level of knowledge of the early bikes is unparalleled.

He has assembled the world's best collection of early Greeves off-roaders, and all are skilfully restored to as-new condition. Because that is what he does.

Many of them feature in the new book, and thank goodness for his collection. Without it I'd have been sunk.

He has preserved some very rare bikes for posterity, many of them from wrecks. They're his bikes, and as always he can do what he likes with them and good luck to him.
                      Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 16/10/2014, 06:31 AM.
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

I think Colin has point here, had the bike not have passed into the ownership of Dave Bradley & got a full restoration then (like 7 LHK) it would probably have just been discarded as just another 'old bike', & lost forever.
                        Whilst I agree with Keith that in certain cases bikes are best left unrestored & with their provenance intact but GJN 269 had obviously had a load of mods by the time it passed from you Keith & at least its now back as it would have been when it was built, & is a 'living example' that can be used for future reference & available to be seen & not existing as a rusty heap in someones shed, as could easily have happened after Andrew King decided to sell it.

Comment

Points well made colin, tactfull & to the point, without having to mention the restorers name!
                          Last edited by dave higgins; 16/10/2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I'll get my coat!!

Keith

Comment

No need for that!

Keith, everyone has there opinion on how there bike should look, wether it be an as is effect or a full blown rest job, its what ever floats your boat, so when two opinions collide.. no problem, thats the way it is... just opinions.
                              This is a forum to air your views after all....

Comment

Working...
                              X