380 Griffon QUB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 380 Griffon QUB

At long last I have got my garage sorted after a house move in 2007. This means I can now start my long awaited project I purchased of ebay in 2006. Namely a 1974 380 Griffon. Sorting all the parts, I am discovering missing Items. First off however, does anyone know a good source of complete set or multipacks of BSF nuts, bolts, washers. Or is it a trip round the local fastening companies?

Kind regards

Simon

Try the GRA!

Hi Simon,

First off, the best way to get help and advice with your bike, including sourcing parts, is to join the GRA!

GRA members can upgrade their forum membership and also get access to the 'members only' sections (inc. 'Sales and Wants'), as well as post photos in their posts etc.

Please support our club! After all, no club = no forum...

For stainless BSF fasteners, you could try the following vendors;

'Surplus Supplies' (stainless fasteners, etc.) 01636 636735.
    'Discount Stainless' 0161 286 1534.
    'Acme Stainless' 01526 861991.

Best of luck with your rebuild.

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 19/06/2011, 11:51 PM. Reason: Vendor contact details added.

Comment

Hi Brian

Boy that was quick!

I've been a member of the GRA since about 2006, though dormant. I do enjoy getting the quarterly mag.

I'll have to check if I've got full access to the forum though.

Thanks for the info on the BSF kit, i'll give them a try.

I hope the rebuild goes quicker than the time it's taken me to start it.

Many thanks.

Simon

Comment

380 Griffon QUB

Simon,
        The QUB, like most Greeves had a selection of different threads including BSW, BSF, Metric, UNF, BA and triple start Hungarian watchmakers thread.

Basically if Greeves made the item in house they would be BSW (usually in castings), BSF (virtually all nut and bolt jobs) and BA (watch out for the dreaded 1 BA screws that abound - you won't get them from your friendly hardware shop).

They used UNF on brake pivots because they were bought in parts and likewise the Ceriani forks used Metric. Enjoy

Druid

Comment

Yes

Yes thers a mine field of thread on them i take on area to once
          bsf nuts bolt on ebay in small packs havent tried unf yet or unc

i did buy a lot of nuts and bolts off of a ex dealer and theres a weired fine 1/4 thread with it might be unf

you r qub has a alloy tank or fiberglass ?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Titterington View Post
            I've been a member of the GRA since about 2006, though dormant. I do enjoy getting the quarterly mag.

I'll have to check if I've got full access to the forum though.
            Hi Simon, obviously you haven't got the full access to which you are entitled 'cos you show up as a "Basic User". Just email Rob at the Website contact email, request upgrade and he'll see to it.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hello all,

Phil and Druid thanks for the info. I am working on the frame at the mo. I've had it powder coated and I've had the engine rebuilt.

Greeves246, my Griffon has an alloy tank with the Griffon and a union jack on it. I had a twin pipe 380 Griffon back in the seventies with a red metalflake glassfibre tank and cerianne forks. I sold it for £150, I regretted it the minute it had gone.

Colin I have dropped Rob an email and I await his response.

Many thanks one and all.

Simon.

Comment

gary

hello simon sound like your well under way ! i need clutch parts for my twin port
                i have a metalflake bike to buld made from parts but its comming together nicely ! i am going to have a go at doing the metal flake my self pannels as there only 2 ply fiberglass ! i do have some new black pannels here though ? for a qub ? any good to you ?

i also have a tall mk2 griffon

Comment

Originally posted by greeves246 View Post
                  hello simon sound like your well under way ! i need clutch parts for my twin port
                  i have a metalflake bike to buld made from parts but its comming together nicely ! i am going to have a go at doing the metal flake my self pannels as there only 2 ply fiberglass ! i do have some new black pannels here though ? for a qub ? any good to you ?

i also have a tall mk2 griffon
                  Did you manage to measure and photograph your 63A Griffon sidestand for me?

Comment

Simon - access upgraded.

Regarding BSF nuts bolts - we have a local supplier and the price of imperial fasteners has gone through the roof! Apparently, this is because they are not 'preferred items'.

I tend to get mine at jumbles and shows - you can often pick up £1 bags, especially at Stafford.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Rob

Thanks for the upgrade and the info.

Cheers

Simon

Comment

Gary
                        Greeves 246.

I've seen advert for griffon clutch plates somewhere I think it could be Nametab Engineering.

Best of luck with the spraying, with cellulose it use to be a bit easier than the two pack of today.

I have side panels thanks, but i'll keep a mental note because i'd like to have a pedal round in the Greeves series, once its finished and with my luck anything could happen.

If I rember the Mk2 has laid down shocks and not to many built, quite a find.

Cheers

Simon

Comment

Regarding mk2 qub

All i can tell you what i know, i have a MK2 QUB only 50 were made 25 were taken apart for spares for the other 25 mines 11th one made there are some lovely pictures in a book great brittish bikes by ian ward and laurie caddell
                          ISBN 0-7481-0020-2 i have a picture of a brand new mk2 in australia but he will not sell it, my mk2 cost me £3000 then i blew up the clutch and gearbox . not good .

As for nuts and bolts (nookies nuts) they attend shows and theres a exelent online shop for us computer freaks theres also BSF lock nuts on ebay same as the greeves original ones ! but there were two types the engine ones were diffrent to frame due to heat and the mudgard nuts were half nylock i think ?.

I am going to the bonanza we have arraged to meet other people there out side of the club and friends who are in that club running the scramble
                          alan wright in the jumble.

gary

Comment

Gary / Simon ,

The nuts for the cylinder head & barrel are called aerotight & have no nylon in them .

Simon Bateman does the Griffon clutch plates .

Chris

Comment

Working...
                            X