Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Points v Elecronics v Semantics!

Comment

Just fitted a set of new points plus a new condenser, and it started FIRST KICK.

Comment

I expect you made a bit of a saving by doing it that way, over the 360 quid that an electronic ignition would have cost you? Well done!

Comment

Colin, you may find this article by Bill Drummond of interest http://www.users.waitrose.com/~colinatkinson/mq26.htm I believe your East Coaster came from Bill so he well may have carried out the battery/coil ignition conversion on the bike.

Comment

Thanks John.
            Yes,my bike came from Bill and he advised me at the time of the ignition conversion. Even so this article makes interesting reading. Starting is generally good, all depending on my tecnique, ie when to use choke, or just a carb tickle etc.etc. A new set of points and condenser seemed to make starting even easier, but maybe that is just wishful thinking.
            I have been riding the bike fairly hard of late and it waqs chucking out some oil around the exhaust port. New seals did not cure all the problem and that is partly because part of one of the pipe flanges has broken off. When I get ltime I'll get the flange built up with some weld and then reseal the joint. Meanwhile it is being used and will fly when revved hard. Next job is to replace the 52 tooth rear sprocket with 48 teeth which I think may suit my style of riding better.
            Overall Bill made a fabulous job of restoration, and I love it.

Comment

Colin best to fit a solid copper or soft aluminium sealing rings to exhaust. I made some from 3mm thick soft aluminium and they have cured the problem of the oily goo. They take a little time to bed in but just keep tightening the retaining rings (with a C spanner) up after each run and after a few times they will seal completely. the size is 35mm id and 42mm od, I cut them from sheet using a trappaning tool. Best to anneal them before fitting. You will need to get that broken flange welded and cleaned up with flat surface. Re the sprocket yes a 48 tooth sprocket gives better gearing I replaced mine some years ago. For some reason Greeves specified the lower gearing on the 4T engined bikes, but like you I found bike was 'revving its nuts' off.
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/05/2023, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks John
                Already addedto my endless list of jobs to do. Next weekend it is my other Club's Riders Rally, so must get my Egli Vincent sorted as it has been off the road most of the year so far.
                I have too many bikes , except I'm not really sure you can have too many!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X