25DB parts list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
    I have been looking through the documentation that came with the pile of bits that is now my '58 Fleetwing Special. I found some hand written notes in the Villiers Parts Book referred to above. This suggests that the switch should be 31461A.

AndyB
    The 4T engine (& possibly the later 2T's) had a 5 pin plug, there is a diagram in this thread http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...Wiring+diagram

One of the problems with the Villiers AC generator is that it has little reserve capacity to put a decent charge back in the battery after it has become discharged by use of stop light & horn whilst using head lamp. With most systems the alternator or dynamo has a lot more output than required for the normal load. so after the battery has become discharged it will charge at a high rate of amps until voltage level has been built up. With the headlamp on the generator can only charge the battery at some 1.5 amps, so if you are stop start in traffic at low revs & using the stop light, the generator cannot put back the charge quickly.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 13/11/2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

25DC wiring diagram with 5 pin plug

Here is another wiring diagram (from 4T workshop manual) showing the 5 pin plug. Note this diagram is showing a Lucas switch. I wonder why Bert Greeves decided to use Miller electrics when most other manufacturers using the Villiers Twins used Joe Lucas parts.

Comment

25DB wiring

John and Andy, again my sincere gratitude to both of you! A mountain of very useful info and guidance.
        Mine is indeed a six pin block and is wired in accordance with the colour sequence shown in the Villiers diagram.
        At the weekend I will proceed to connect according to Andy's diagram and will report back. I will connect an ammeter in series to check results.
        John, I expect cost was the reason for using Miller rather than Lucas, but it looks as though they changed to Lucas on the later models-at least with the switch!
        Regards and thanks for your time,
        Pat H.

Comment

Originally posted by Trafdlo View Post
          John and Andy, again my sincere gratitude to both of you! A mountain of very useful info and guidance.
          Mine is indeed a six pin block and is wired in accordance with the colour sequence shown in the Villiers diagram.
          At the weekend I will proceed to connect according to Andy's diagram and will report back. I will connect an ammeter in series to check results.
          John, I expect cost was the reason for using Miller rather than Lucas, but it looks as though they changed to Lucas on the later models-at least with the switch!
          Regards and thanks for your time,
          Pat H.
          Hi Pat, I've never seen a Greeves with a Lucas switch. It would not have fitted the aperture. Maybe fitted by owners because the real Miller switch was always hard to find.
          The Miller switches can be made up from bits if you have a box of spares.
          Good luck, let us know how you got on.

Keith

Comment

Miller v Lucas

I mean, a genuine originally fitted Lucas switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Trafdlo View Post
              Pat H.
              Greeves never used the Lucas switch on the roadsters, the East Coaster was the last & it still had the Miller one.
              I think though that Royal Enfield used the Lucas switch (& lights) on the 4T engined Turbo Twin, & maybe Francis Barnet Crusier 89, & James Superswift M25S Sports
              Hence why Villiers did a wiring diagram for it.

Comment

Working...
              X