New pattern Miller 3 position switch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roadster Lighting Switch

Has anyone tried one of the Lucas switches, or found a source of a correct pattern Miller one. Had someone contact me recently looking for one.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
      The thing is that for the Greeves application the switch needs to also connect extra lighting coils when head lamp is on. The Vincent & Rudge bikes have a dynamo where battery charging is controlled by a AVC (Automatic Voltage Control) unit so they only need basic switching for the lighting.
      I am sure the switches being sold by VS & other outlets are quite capable of being wired to switch the headlamp & pilot lights on & off but of course do not have the contacts to switch the lighting/charging coils in when headlamp is on. Presumably why Steve Gollings has had no complaints about the switches is that the customers who have bought the switches have managed to wire them up to get the lights working but the additional coils are not being connected to compensate the high drain on the battery when the headlamp is switched on. As most owners never ride in the dark, they dont use the headlamp so dont realise the battery is not being charged. The charging without lights on will be ok, the first they notice they have a problem is when they are riding back late from a club night & the headlamp goes out after a few miles. I would think that most owners would then not connect the headight failure (sorry for pun) to the switch & would assume the battery had failed. I dont think Steve Gollings has given this much thought & has mearly bought in a lighting switch that outwardly looks like the original
      Hi John and All.

It's a Greeves peculiarity that they used a light switch operated system that connected the extra lighting coil when headlamps were used. Or was it one coil for Dim and two coils for full beam? Is it the four position switch that is needed?
      I know I worked it all out years ago. If you are really stuck you can wire the lighting coils via a separate switch. I've got some info on this but won't be able to find it until I get back to the UK.
      I will sort out an article about Greeves wiring very soon. We had the same problems way back and I published details and drawings in one of the early LL mags.

Keith

Comment

Confusing Switches

I've just had a look through eBay and none of the switches offered are the right type. The original Greeves switch had at least seven terminals and had three positions, OFF, PARKING LIGHT, and HEADLIGHT. Not sure how it was marked?

The dim or full beam was controlled via the handlebar switch.

I've spent hours trying to cobble together the real thing from boxed of old used switches and it isn't easy. Only ever found one genuine switch so the chances of finding one now are probably zero.

The switches on eBay "look" right but are ALL wrong, even the expensive £80 ones. So beware, do not buy then unless your electrical knowledge allows you to cobble together a switch that works. It is tempting to rig a new switch system and leave the original switch lookalike there just for show.

If there's anyone out there who is into Greeves/Villiers electrics then drop me a line. In the Villiers 2T manual there is a diagram at the back that can help but it shows a different make of switch (Lucas) but it may help if you study the diagram.

I know I spent ages on this subject. One simple check to see if your bike is wired properly is to turn on the headlight and rev the bike. The lamp should brighten when you rev the engine. That shows that the coils are indeed working.

There are Greeves drawings of the wiring diagram, certainly for the 4T engined bikes.

Maybe our archivist can have a dig?

Keith

Comment

Miller switches

This Vincent Owners Club article is useful and has a exploded diagram of the switch. It is NOT the correct switch for Villiers twins but has some useful info for anyone trying to repair their switch.

To perpetuate the H.R.D., Vincent H.R.D. and Vincent marques by encouraging the continued use of these motorcycles and by furthering the social and sporting activities of the owners of these machines.

If you have a 4 position switch the flog it to a Vincent owner for a small fortune ... Lol

Comment

Villiers Services still selling wrong Miller switch for Greeves

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
            John, if you don't tell them what bike it's for, of course they will sell you the switch! Your criticism can only hold water if VS sells a switch once you have told them what bike it's for.
            Had a call from a Greeves owner tonight who bought a Miller switch from VS only to find (like others have) that it will not work on a Greeves. The owner specifically told them he wanted it for a Greeves. So be warned Villiers Services are still selling an unsuitable the repro Miller switch for Greeves.

Comment

Working...
            X