No announcement yet.

Griffon QUB rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry craig...thought it was all out on the bench, you can split the box off in place, by jiggling the engine about in the frame, but its almost as much work & a lot more awkward, quicker to whip it out mate, 20 mins, clutch off, box off.
    You can have a proper look on the bench, but don`t forget to shim the engine to box up equally on rebuild, if not damage or distortion may follow, & no i`m not the prophet of doom & gloom!.........more like the grim reaper!......
    Last edited by dave higgins; 26/03/2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Dave.
      I have maybe caused the damage already as I just bolted the two together without regard to shims.
      You are indeed the grim reaper.
      I will finish the bike then whip the engine out and do it properly. I suppose the fact it was in boxes for over 20 years made me want to put it together first. If that makes sense
      I think other people might refer to it as the arsehole principle.
      At least it maybe makes this post interesting.
      Watch this space.

Comment

• Craig.... its all part of the learning curve...if you have`nt done it...how would you know? no worries... shim it & it`ll be fine! as you say though, this thread is marching on in viewing & posting terms...well done mate.....lets have a few more like you, posting up the progress on thier projects...cause a pic & a few words, is great reading & helps people starting out to gain a grasp of how people overcome problems, such as you have encountered....nice one craig.....

Comment

• Keep up the good work Craig !

Looks like you are ready for an outing on the 250 soon - look forward to seeing it in action....at a Greeves Championship race soon !!

Additional tip on the G Box shims - is that once you have sorted the selector issues and have re-assembled - if you need to adjust primary tension at a later date (i.e tighten when it goes slack with wear) you can do that even with engine in frame - using horseshoe shims - as they would have done back in the day.
          Cheers Kim

Comment

• Thanks Guys, I really do appreciate the help.
            I will definitely take part in at least one race this season. I seen the head cam footage and apart from it obviously playing at half speed, it looks really good.

Comment

• Griffon Riders Association Dept.

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
              Craig....this thread is marching on in viewing & posting terms...well done mate.....lets have a few more like you, posting up the progress on thier projects...cause a pic & a few words, is great reading & helps people starting out to gain a grasp of how people overcome problems, such as you have encountered....nice one craig.....
              Nicely said Dave, and 100% spot-on! Couldn't have put it better myself mate, and shows the forum working at it's very best, in my view.

Craig, as I've told you before mate, you're a breath of fresh air on here. Really appreciate your contributions and all the pics, crackin' stuff! Many thanks Craig.

The bikes are looking great and really coming together now....the end is in sight bud, keep the faith! When the big day comes to fire 'em up, it'll be worth all the blood, sweat, tears, and wrinkin' all that drisky to ease the pain....

Brian.

Comment

• Going to put them on Twitter book face first though.

Comment

• Wheresh my bike gone....

Soz Craig, but I reckon someone's beat you to it mate.....

bRiAn.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                    Thanks Guys, I really do appreciate the help.
                    I will definitely take part in at least one race this season. I seen the head cam footage and apart from it obviously playing at half speed, it looks really good.
                    Thats a bit cruel craig!..... half speed!..........but i have been running through kims race telemetry to accompany the vid & the results are showing good power characteristics bottom end, but shows kim`s lap times improving rapidly, when he managed to find secound gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!......

Comment

• The poor performance will not be repeated! We needed all the duct tape to hold the trailer mudguards on......

Comment

• Ok guys, I have put the seat and tank on the 250cc and beat the alloy mudguard with a hammer until the seat base fitted over it. Side stand, footrests, and chain fitted. It is not even close to being a show bike but nearly ready for a few outings in the Greeves championship races.
                        Here are some photographs
                        I have put some gaffa tape on the seat because Dave said thats what makes Kim so fast.
                        I am going to try and start it next.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• It's Alive....!!!!

Looks great to me Craig, a proper 'working' bike that's going to earn it's keep and give you loads of fun (I hope!).

Well done mate, and thanks for sharing the pics with us. Result!

If it don't start, just it hit wiv the hammer again till it behaves itself.

Brian.

Comment

• I agree brian...fit & functional is all you need, shame to see the decline of craftsman like craig though.... masters in the art of shaping alloys...or hammersmithing as it is known...... keep it up craig.....

Comment

• Looking good - can't wait to see it out on a race track where it belongs along with its big brother .......you have done a brilliant job Craig - and thanks for sharing the journey with us...........of course not enough gaffer tape or cable ties for my liking - but after a few shake down races that will soon be sorted

Comment

• After about 20 kicks and thinking about starting to go through the process of spark, fuel, timing, and all the rest it finally burst into life.
                                It has surprised me how big a smile it put on my face when the bike started after rescuing it from being a "parts bike" of ebay from America. Fabulous sound and so crisp, even if all the neighbours are a cheesed off.
                                Right.
                                Now to finish the QUB and hopefully get the same crispy two stroke racket.

Freshly rebuilt Greeves Griffon 250. First time being started.

Comment

Working...
                                X