No announcement yet.

Project Leek - The '61 ISDT Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rob, i don`t understand why you are rushing into this!, take your time & enjoy it.......

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      Amazing how time flies, a long time since I posted anything!

I have now WALKED some of the routes (whilst on a walking holiday) and am quite well advanced with the maps and the Greeves.

More progress when it eventually happens!

Rob
      So, Rob, after the comments on the Garmisch thread (!), will I get the TR5T up Cwmystwyth?
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

The Cwmystwyth village is on the "main road", it's what bit is used to link it. I can remember standing the Haflinger almost on it's nose where we came out onto the road nearby.
        The man who knows the routes around here is Bevis Glover. He was in Aberystwyth MCC, but I know he is also into the 4 leg drive fraternity now.
        Last edited by Brian Catt; 19/08/2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Dave - I'm not noted for rushing things!

Brian - it would be good to have a chat with Bevis!

Just need to get a bike built!

Comment

Latest is that I have managed to get the original registration re-instated on the TES I will be using as the basis for the bike.

It was FSK 601 (age-related number) and is now 5410 PH as registered by Comerfords in 1963. Nice to achieve that from a historical aspect.

Also been gathering pics of Llandindrod and will soon be visiting to sort out some routes.

Map plotting continues!

Comment

Something to look forward to in 2013 (or '14 or '15....)

Yam ST225 is awaiting its big moment. (Well, at least it has a retro look!).
              Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 29/10/2012, 11:10 AM.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

I'm back from the recce! Wow, what brilliant lanes for riding! Found the '61 start area in Llandrindod Wells (off Lant Avenue) and only a small part of it is now built on. Took quite a few 'then and now' shots using the originals from Bert's collection. Found a few bits we can't ride but there are perfectly good detours. Came home via 20 miles of the Day 1 route down to Erwood and the views were fantastic.

Also looked at a suitable caravan site and by the entrance was a small sign stating that the Welsh 2 Day Enduro would be (did) pass(ing) on 22nd June!

Quite fancy a new Honda CR250L (if I can reach the ground!) but I should not admit that on here!

Just sorting out the list of mods to the TES-based 'International' from the works drawings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                  Quite fancy a new Honda CR250L (if I can reach the ground!) but I should not admit that on here!
                  That's one reason I bought the ST225 Bronco, the seat height. It's the "road-going" version of the XT225 Serow, which is also noted as having a low seat for an off-roader.
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

I could do with one of those then!

I have just found an article by Pete Atkinson on his Gold Medal winning ride in the '61 ISDT in Leading Link no.32, December 1989.

Good ride and good read!

Does anyone know if Pete is still around? He came from Wales in those days so he was on home ground.

Thanks

Comment

You may accuse me of treachery.......!!!! However!

I have just been down in Wales with the VMCC and ridden quite a few of the old ISDT routes on .....a Royal Enfield! Poor old bike had been in the shed for 12 years. Converted to 'enduro' style and taxed, MOT'd, etc in a week, finished at 4 pm Thursday with a rear number plate printed on the PC and straight down to Llandrindod.

Shakedown run was 90 miles through Abergeswyn and Devil's Staircase, etc. (1961 Day 1) Ran faultlessly over 4 days and 400 miles and very pleasant to ride. Now need to do a bit more on the Greeves but at least I will have more of an idea where I am going! Now working on the full 200+ miles of Day 1.

Picture shows the bike at the site of the 1961 Lant Avenue, Llandrindod, parc ferme area. The background is directly comparable with the slides Bert took in 1961. Note the roof of the Hotel Metropole on the skyline, just to the left of centre.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Project Leek

Glad you enjoyed it Rob. Have you dried out from Sunday??
                        Don,t forget the Kendal Club,s ISDT 1913 Day One Run on the 26th October 2013 starting from Ambleside. If anyones interested contact Peter Remington on 015395 60695.

Comment

Paul - just about! We met the Welsh dragon when we dripped water all over the tearoom floor!

It was a very good event and I rode a lot of the tracks that are on my ISTD routes.

Not sure about Ambleside, it is a long way from down here!

Comment

Working...
                          X