Project Leek - The '61 ISDT Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Leek - The '61 ISDT Venture

Just to kick off this section, let me introduce Project Leek.

This is the name of my project to build a Greeves ISDT-type bike (as near to the 1961 version as possible) and ride it around the entire 6-Days route of the 1961 event held in Wales. Obviously, I cannot ride the forestry tracks and other private routes and for these, I intend to substitute the nearest unclassified roads.

Plea for help No.1 - any Welsh trail riders know of any green lanes around Llandindrod please?

I am in the process of deciphering the original route and adding this to OS 50 thou maps but this is proving a slow task.

Moving on to machinery, does anyone out there have a genuine '61 or '62 bike? It would be handy to have someone to ask various questions of.

Anyone got a cheap TES Mk1 frame, s/arm & forks they wish to part with. Does not need to be in good condition as will get modified.

Attached is a picture of the bike so far. As you can see it comprises of a well-worn plus 60 MDS barrel with stripped exhaust threads but at least it has an induction manifold!

Still a little way to go methinks!
    Attached Files

For green lanes, have you had a look at www.trailwise.org.uk. Using "Browse maps" you can view tracks within 3km radius of any chosen point and see their status as regards access.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 08/05/2010, 12:21 PM. Reason: Added www. to web address to creat a direct link to the site. Handy post Buzzer, thanks.

Comment

Just tried it (I have never heard of it before), works a treat. Just need to work out the route now! Thanks for your help! Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
        Just tried it (I have never heard of it before), works a treat.
        Why not add it to the 'Links & resources' section?

Comment

Good idea, I'll have a go later.

Comment

This project is still 'live'!

I have now collected all of the OS maps I need for that part of Wales and am tracing the route from the programme maps. This is proving a very time-consuming job.

However, any recollections, rider stories, etc. are very welcome.

I have most of the engine including a brand new Alpha crankshaft which came from Bert's loft.

Just need to find a TES frame and forks with logbook.

To be continued.......................

Comment

Rob, keep me updated with your route work, I did marking on the Welsh 2/3 days for many years as well as marking for horse events in Mid-Wales, so I know my way around a fair bit of the territory, and any help I can give you, I will.

Comment

Firstly to Marcelle - many thanks for this very detailed reply and the pictures. Can't think how I missed seeing your reply until now but I did! Thanks again!

Why 1961? Mainly because it was Wales and I want to tour the area. I know it has been held there before a few times but I started this project with a 1961 Royal Enfield in mind. This is my other love and I trial a 350 Bullet (or it trials me!) I also have a copy of the programme thanks to Druid.

Progress to date - I have now accquired all of the OS maps I need. I have started transposing the route on to the maps, tracing the original route as far as possible. Where the route is obviously on private land, I have pencilled in bypass routes as close as possible. There are some green lanes shown on the maps but whether they still exist as such, I do not know at this stage. Might need to request help from you Brian - did any of the Welsh 2/3 Day use any of the same routes?

Regarding machinery, I have not got very far. I may have to use the Bullet for the first attempt as I have more RE bits laying about than Greeves.

That's about the story so far.

Thanks again for your replies.

Rob

Comment

Rob, the W2+3DTs almost certainly used some of the routes from 61, but as I don't know the 61 routes, I can't say positively. Most of the green lanes on your map may well still be in existence, but some have evolved into bigger better farm roads after the EEC subsidies. Some may be difficult to find, and some, particularly on the Epynt Ranges may be under strict military rule.

Comment

Thanks Brian and Marcelle!

Hmmm....mini-leek, not a bad idea!

It will be interesting to discover how much remains of the green lanes.

I think I've walked over most of Epynnt during my time! I well remember a 'punishment march' with full kit and no breakfast (about 500 portions were dumped in the ditch) back from Dixies Corner to Sennybridge after a 4 day exercise courtesy of our numpty company commanders who upset the colonel!

Happy days!

Thanks again,

Rob

Comment

Rob, I haven't marched over much of Epynt, but I have drunk Real Ale at the Drover's Arms. Not while in control of a wheeled vehicle, I may add!

Comment

The last post on this was over a year ago! Where did that go then?!

This justifies my latest move, buying a TES at the AGM as collecting all the bits to build a bike would take forever and cost a lot more!

Yes, I've got a 1963 TES to base the bike on as the 1962 Internationals were (with MDS engines).

OK so it is not quite 1961 but it is near enough for me. The bike is complete and running and hopefully will only need a bit of TLC as apparently, it has not been used for years.

This moves things on considerably.

However, I have not been doing nothing in the meantime. I have been plotting the route and investigating what rights of way are still open, Judging by the closure rate, I had better get a move on! Yet more erosion of our personal rights and freedom!

Comment

I'll repeat my earlier post in that I am very interested in this project and would like to assist in any way possible. Is it too early to start queuing for petrol! I think my little Honda might be more economical than a Villiers engine, but sadly not in period!

Comment

OK Brian, good to meet you at the AGM yesterday. I've got several people interested so maybe we could make it a GRA event! 1961 was a good year for Greeves ISDT medals! However, as it was the 1962 bikes that were based on the TES (with MDS engines), I may have to claim use of a Tardis to re-enact 1961!

Rob

Comment

Amazing how time flies, a long time since I posted anything!

I have now WALKED some of the routes (whilst on a walking holiday) and am quite well advanced with the maps and the Greeves.

I now have a pair of RE Interceptor scrambles bars which is probably what the factory used by about 1964 so you could say work has started on an Enfield!

More progress when it eventually happens!

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X