Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just purchase a 63 dcx. Fully stripped it ready for full rebuild. Havent done of roading since i were 15 & just decided at ripe old age of 72 to go greenlanning.
    bought a little honda xl125, but didnt cut it for me.
    fancied a greeves.

Welcome aboard. which model of the DCX is it 250 or 325, what is frame number? I hope you are planning to restore it to its original condition, there have been two recently where new owners have decided to make them into street scramblers with high bars etc. Such a shame on a rare bike, not many left roadworthy in original spec. Gary Bamford on here can help you with original parts for DCX.

Comment

A DCX for green laning? Hmmm, I can think of many more suitable Greeves models for that purpose. The DCX is a roadster, for one thing, and the twin engine characteristics are not really suited to off-road work.

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
        A DCX for green laning? Hmmm, I can think of many more suitable Greeves models for that purpose. The DCX is a roadster, for one thing, and the twin engine characteristics are not really suited to off-road work.
        Oh bummer. Have i made bad choice. Thought all greeves were good fa scrambling.
        im fitting 18 & 21 wheels. & hi level exhaust.
        so might av to sell & buy more suitable.
        Last edited by Max black; 03/01/2024, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Frame no: 25 dcx154

Comment

This one (pic 1) should look like (pic 2) its a sports roadster, someone has already messed up a rare 32DCX112 (pic3) which was for many years owned by a GRA member on the IoW. Yes looks like you have made the wrong choice for a green laner, but maybe able to do a deal with a club member on a more suitable bike. Not all Greeves are suitable for off road use.
            Attached Files

Comment

Not all Greeves are suitable for off road use.[/QUOTE]

Can you expain why. The frame looks pretty much like hawkstone. Is it the 2t engine,?
              i would like the 350cc
              Last edited by Max black; 03/01/2024, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Whilst the alloy beam is common to to both off road and road going bikes, its the frame, forks, wheel sizes and the engines that differ, no doubt others will come on board to explain in finer details. Generally though far more comp bikes were made than road bikes. This is reflected in the many more trials and scramble bikes that come onto the market, both restored or as projects, a case of horses for courses.

Comment

The steering geometry of trials, scrambles and road models are all different, requiring different forks and crown plates to suit each application. Roadster forks are relatively weak and not suitable for off-roading, the competiton forks being made from Renolds 531 chrome moly tubing for strength, the roadster ones from regular mild steel. The frame is designed for a roadster, so is again relatively weak for off road use, the centre of the frame being supported structurally by the pressed tin tool and battery box. The rear sub frames are completely different, as well as wheel sizes (you can't fit a 21" front wheel in roadster forks) tyres, mudguards, mudguard brackets, handlebars, tank (fibreglass on the DCX so not suitable for ethanol fuel these days) etc etc. Best buy an off-roader to start with, there are plenty around, and sell your DCX to someone who would restore it to original, ideally. There aren't many around.

I forgot to mention, a single engine is much more suited to off road work, with low down torque, and plonkability, which the twins don't have. As John said, horses for courses.
                  Last edited by IanCordes; 04/01/2024, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Probably could fit a 21" wheel to those forks, gents, because the usual bottom fork loop looks to be absent. Perhaps not a good idea, though, to use the bike without some kind of connection between the two front swing arms (?).
                    Seem to recall Bert Greeves famously taking a similar bike in standard road trim through the "bomb-hole" at Shrubland Park back in the day, so perhaps the chassis is up to "gentle" green-laning, if not more-demanding competition use?.
                    Also, with regard to the engine, there are a few 2T powered Hawkstones in use in present-day Pre 65 scrambles, admittedly though in proper scrambler chasses.
                    Do agree, though, that bike might be better built back into an original DCX.
                    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 11/01/2024, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Fitting a 21" wheel by cutting off the loop? The front wheel would flap around! Is that a picture of Max's bike? Also JohnR, scrambling a 2T is one thing, because you are using mid-range and top-end revs, wheras green laning, like trials, needs low rev tractability which the twins don't have. I have done 100s of miles on Spanish mountain trails and tracks on my 3T-engined 20TA, and believe me, I have found it's limitations, and know that a single cylinder engine, TES, TFS etc would be much more capable when it comes to tougher going. That was all on bone dry going, too. I wouldn't even bother to try it on wet and muddy UK green lanes, which can be challenging. For those reasons I am looking to use a TES or similar in Spain, going forward.

Comment

I am going to strengthen frame. 21" front wheel. 54 rear sprocket.
                        being a mechanical engineer of 50 yrs experience, & 40 yrs racing experience, mechanicing, building race chassis ect, im not exactly a novice at such things.
                        i used to greenlane on an old gpo bantam,& bsa b31 both in std rd trim, with road tyres, with no prob, so im sure a dcx modyfied will cope.

Comment

Originally posted by Max black View Post
                          I am going to strengthen frame. 21" front wheel. 54 rear sprocket.
                          being a mechanical engineer of 50 yrs experience, & 40 yrs racing experience, mechanicing, building race chassis ect, im not exactly a novice at such things.
                          i used to greenlane on an old gpo bantam,& bsa b31 both in std rd trim, with road tyres, with no prob, so im sure a dcx modyfied will cope.
                          Yes but its destroying a very rare DCX, there are only around ten 250s and three 325's left in restored original condition, it goes against the grain for most GRA members, sadly it seems to be the current trend to convert old bikes to bobbers,street scramblers etc. Pity you did not join the GRA first and ask around for advice on which type of Greeves to buy, could have resulted in getting a much better bike to convert to a green laner, or buy a TFS Trail or Ranger already restored. Sorry if this is not the reception you had hoped for, but my personal feeling and I am sure that of other members.

Comment

You clearly know best. Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Best make it a priority to get that front fork loop welded back into place, Max, one to suit your 21" front wheel of course.
                              Hope we haven't put you off joining the GRA, by the way? Welcome aboard!

Comment

Working...
                              X