No announcement yet.

Good morning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand what you mean, Ian. Let's hope that it being fitted with a 9E from a Bond Minicar won't affect you getting a dating letter, or you might end up having to fit a 2T!

I have sent you a PM, btw; top right hand of the forum page; 'messages'

Comment

Thanks for the PM, have replied.

I understand that the dating will be OK as long as it's a Villiers of the approximate same vintage as the rest of the bike. Everything's gone off to Stuart anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
        Hi Ian. I missed your post when you revealed the frame number; just spotted it. I do have to concur with JW. It would be a great shame to convert such a rare machine into a Grumph. There really were so few built, as he said. You could fit a 3T engine, not quite correct, but basically a bored-out 2T, if you wanted a bit more grunt, and they look identical . TBH, by the time you factor in the extra weight of a Triumph 21 engine, the performance wouldn't be much different. I have a 3T engine in my TA ISDT replica, and they go very well.

Ian C. Click image for larger version

Name:	3T Engined 20TA ISDT Replica of 2LHK.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	93711
        Cracking job you have made of your bike Ian, really looks the business. Does anyone know if the Glassbook family still have Albert Glassbrook's original 2T engined ISDT bike 2LHK? I note its not showing on the DVLA!

Comment

Thanks John. I have just taken it to the next stage, really. It did well in the Tabernas desert & mountains last year. It drew some attention at Shepton Mallet this weekend; at least, by those who weren't dazzled by a bright orange Ranger parked next to it!

Next up, after Stafford in April, it and I are booked on the Moidart Run, starting from Kinlochleven, immediately prior to the Scottish Twin-Shock Classic Trial, before the SSDT.

I am pretty sure 2LHK is still with Al Glassbrook's daughter & son-in-law. It is still on DVLA :-

2 LHK ✓ SORN

MOT

No results returned

Vehicle Details

Vehicle make GREEVES Date of first registration June 1958 Year of manufacture 1958 Cylinder capacity 250 cc CO₂ emissions Not available Fuel type PETROL Euro status Not available Real Driving Emissions (RDE) Not available Export marker No Vehicle status SORN Vehicle colour BLUE Vehicle type approval Not available Wheelplan 2 WHEEL Revenue weight Not available Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 26 March 2019​

I can't imagine them parting with it somehow, although it would be nice to see it at a show now and again. I notice it had a new V5c in 2019. Maybe they just moved house. He couldn't have bothered to notify the engine capacity change to 324cc, which he did sometime in the early '60's, possibly by fitting a 3T top-end to the 2T which he fitted when he acquired the 'bike from Greeves in 1959. An interesting story.​

Sorry if we have hijacked your thread Ian, but it is good Greeves history!

Ian C.

Comment

Thanks Ian must have hit a wrong key its 3LHK that missing as you say it is showing on DVLA the keeper change in 2019 was presumably a transfer within the family. I suppose Albert kept it as 250 to avoid paying the higher road fund licence fee that it would have attracted back then. Probably why the 32DB & DC were never big sellers.

Comment

Sadly all trace of 3LHK has been lost. As you know John, it was bought from the factory by Al Glassbrook's friend Peter Rose at the same time Al bought his. He then used it in the 1959 ISDT, then sold it and it disappeared. My machine was built by John Rose around 2001-2, but I haven't been able to establish if the Roses were related.

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post

Sorry if we have hijacked your thread Ian, but it is good Greeves history!

Ian C.
                No problem, I'm anxious to learn all I can.

Comment

Ian. Can you check your PMs, please?

Comment

Working...
                  X