hi new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi new member

hi iam michael from northern ireland, i have just bought a greeves scottish trials bike, could anyone date it for me the frame no is 8771/25sa but this number is coming up as a hawkstone scrambler? thank you
    Last edited by oldbiker; 06/04/2022, 05:25 PM.

Its actually a 1958 25SA Hawkstone Scrambler. Very few made (only 9 known survivors) fitted with a Villiers 2T twin. Not very successful model. What condition is yours, basket case, unrestored project of fully restored? Can you post some pics? It should look something like the one in attached pics
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 06/04/2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Hi its a barn find honesty lol
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. Its now has a 9E (197cc) engine and trials footrests and silencer, so effectively made into a 20TA Scottish. Frames are virtually identical & back in the day many riders used the same bike for trials & scrambles, just changed a few components. ie footrests, exhaust, sprocket, tyres etc.

Comment

hi thank you john for your help, iam a bit disappointed its not what i thought it was would you have a rough idea of value the way it is thank you

Comment

Around £750 to £1000. Frankly it would probably be best to restore it as a trails bike it now is, the 25SA scrambler was not a successful bike and if you put it back to Hawkstone spec it would cost more that the bike would be worth at the end of it. And a scrambler is of little use as you cant realy ride it on the road, unlike a trials bike. Does the bike have any paper work or road registered, that may help the price.

Comment

i didn't get any paperwork with it a friend took it as a trade in on another trials bike 6/7 years ago as a scottish, i paid him 650 for it yesterday

Comment

You weren't ripped off, if you clean it up and get engine running you could double your money. Thanks for posting this, best of luck.

Comment

thank you for the information john

Comment

Originally posted by oldbiker View Post
                    Hi its a barn find honesty lol
                    As John says it is a very rare bike.Only about 32 were made and a small batch was sent to Ireland. Yours is probably one of them..The picture that John put on is a 1959 model.You have the correct hubs (not finned). If you decide to fit a correct 2T engine yours should have the aluminium carb cover.Also a smaller petrol tank.They make a good road bike.I had 2 of them.

Comment

hi would getting the proper engine be difficult and will it be possible to road register it thank you

Comment

Yes 2T engines are fairly available but to fully rebuild one (and most on eBay etc need rebuilding) it will cost over £1000 to rebuild plus the cost of buying in the first place, maybe another £250 or £300. You would also need a new exhaust system with silencer suitable for a twin, suitably modified it could be made road legal. As Stuart says the 25SA is a rare bike and I know he has a personal passion for them, but if you just want a bike to ride for the smallest out lay and at some point sell it I think you would be better to restore it as it is. Maybe not a full show condition restoration but a sympathetic one keeping the patina but with good mechanical units. The bike was obviously modified many years ago as many were to make the best use of an noncompetitive scramble bike, so that is part of its history.
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 06/04/2022, 11:02 PM.

Comment

hi yes i will take your advice and make it safe, reliable and fun thank you again

Comment

Working...
                          X