Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the one in Collins book , which I thought was a factory pic . thanks

Comment

• The one in the book is a factory picture. If you compare it with the one I posted recently, you can see it was taken in the same location. Plus I've got the original and it bears the stamp of the Southend photographer Greeves used - Rimmer.

You're right Craig, it's not the same bike. The one in the book doesn't have the binnacle and the tyre pump is absent.

If and when a second edition happens I will be replacing that photo with a colour shot of a restored 24TFS.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

• there are a few differences from the one in the book , my main concern is the ext system , in the book it shows the low level system (which I have) the later post here shows a different system which I do not have , thankyou

Comment

• what do these numbers cast into the barrel mean ?

Comment

• C11768 is a 32A, 37A cylinder, both the same.Not sure what the other number is .
            Simon

Comment

• other number looks to be c11588 maybe . thanks

Comment

• Villiers Parts Numbers/Info.....

Here you go Craig....; http://www.villiers.info/post.php?part=AXA32 (Both the numbers are listed here)

For any Viliers parts related info, check out this thread;
                John Wood's excellent Villiers website(s) have been online for a considerable time, but I thought I would post these links for the benefit of those members who may not have have seen it before. Together with ex GRA Villiers technical specialst and author the late Rob Carrick, John Wood wrote 'The Villiers Singles Improvements

Brian.
                Last edited by Brian Thompson; 28/12/2016, 12:13 PM. Reason: Links added.

Comment

• strange both numbers on the same barrel , thanks

Comment

• thanks to a member of this site I now have some of the missing parts , getting closer to running the bike should I keep it .

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                      Its an 8E (507B) supplied to Vernon Industries (Gordon Cars), so looks like it was originally fitted to an invalid car http://www.3wheelers.com/vernon.html
                      I now have this engine to restore sometime. It has a square drive gear quadrant instead of the usual splined type. Does this mean it wont have the positive stop mechanism which returns the quadrant to centre position as per motorcycle use. Also is it 3 or 4 speed? I have soaked all fittings in preparation to an exploratory opening up of the gearbox

Comment

• Originally posted by floydbassman View Post
                        I now have this engine to restore sometime. It has a square drive gear quadrant instead of the usual splined type. Does this mean it wont have the positive stop mechanism which returns the quadrant to centre position as per motorcycle use. Also is it 3 or 4 speed? I have soaked all fittings in preparation to an exploratory opening up of the gearbox
                        It looks like an Albion 4 speed box but difficult to see as Craig did not post a pic of the flywheel side. The fact that it went originally to Gordon Cars for an invalid carriage suggests it may not have the positive stop gear change, But the square ended shaft may be the gear indicator shaft.
                        The normal motorcycle 8E Albion 4 speed gearbox looks like this https://static.mijnwebwinkel.nl/wink...ecf900a2e2.jpg the gear change lever fits on the hollow shaft with the kick start shaft running inside it.

Comment

• Intersting. the engine I have just has a kickstart quadrant without the outer shaft for gear change. I am assuming that the square drive which on the motorcycle engine is for the gear indicator can serve double duty and change the gears with a suitable linkage attached. Also explains why its such a large square drive, which would be too over engineered for just a gear indicator pointer.

Comment

• Originally posted by floydbassman View Post
                            Intersting. the engine I have just has a kickstart quadrant without the outer shaft for gear change. I am assuming that the square drive which on the motorcycle engine is for the gear indicator can serve double duty and change the gears with a suitable linkage attached. Also explains why its such a large square drive, which would be too over engineered for just a gear indicator pointer.
                            Yes I think the gear indicator shaft doubles as a gear selector shaft on invalid carriage/micro car applications. There is a cut away drawing in this pdf http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com...ild_part_1.pdf which shows the internals. Its written by Don Morley who is/was a member of this forum but has not posted for some time. Maybe he will come on board and comment on your box. There is another spare parts list & pic here http://www.villiers.info/post.php?part=EXG074

floydbaseman can you post a pic of the RH side of your engine/gearbox.
                            Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/01/2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Here is some pictures of the right-hand side of the engine.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Looks like its for an invalid carriage/3 wheeler car use. It may be possible though to change the end plate for motorcycle type gear change, but best to strip the box down first to see what internals are like, also it may be a 3 speed & reverse set up. Depends what you want to use the engine in, but if its for road use it may be better & cheaper to find a 3 speed box. These are more readily available & more robust. The 4 speed box was always a bit suss on gear changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X