Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member from Wiltshire

Hello all,

new member here, I've just added to my collection of motorcycles and bought a 1959 Scottish which has been stood for some time so needs a little TLC. Got Colin's very good book which helped make the decision to buy.
    I Hope to do a bit of 'nostalgic' off road riding but lack the local venues that other areas have.
    No doubt I will have numerous questions for the membership (be patient!!)

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

welcome to the forum. I thought Wiltshire had a large number of places to ride off road, a lot more BOAT's ( http://www.wiltshiretrf.co.uk ) than other counties?

I am sure there will be other members to suggest good venues near you, if you venture down to Devon I know a few

Tony

Comment

Hi Charlie welcome to the Forum, whats the frame number of your Scottish, we may have info on it.

Comment

Hi Tony,
        Yes loads of BOATS and i use both land rover for trialing and ktm for enduro, just want to do something different and compete in scrambling.

John
        You have a pm

Regards
        Charlie
        Last edited by CharlieD; 14/03/2016, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Charlie, welcome to the forum and also the GRA! I've just upgraded you to 'GRA Member' so you should see a bit more.

I hope you will be pleasantly surprised just what a super little bike a Villiers-powered Greeves is to ride. The only problem is getting a low enough first with a high enough top but a compormise can be reached.

Talking of Wiltshire, I fancy having a ride across Salisbury Plain as I don't think I'd need a map for that place! I've been on army exercises and jealously watched the traillies riding by. On one occasion a few rode into the middle of our exercise so I 'apprehended' them and plied them with tea and egg butties to reveal where the best lanes were!

Sounds an ideal bike for the Arbuthnot trial.

Anyway, good luck with the bike!

Comment

Hi Charlie,
            Great to have another member in the fold, as Rob has said great areas across Salisbury Plain , that is somewhere i have not explored off road apart from a Scramble many many years ago , The Drovers Road from Odstock is a good crack down to Shaftsbury also.
            be nice to meet you up at The AGM/Talk/ jumble at Kidlington Oxford on April 3rd. cheers Dicky

Comment

Thanks Rob and Dick
              Yes i know the plain very well and most if the open byways great fun and grest place to ride (LEGALLY OF COURSE ; ) )

plans are to get the bike running, register it and then enter as many local events that i can

Regards
              Charlie

Comment

How about some pics of your Scottish Charlie, as a full member you can now post pics.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160319_180942.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	58953

My scottish.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160319_180850.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	58954
                    My 24 TES

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieD View Post
                      [ATTACH]4882[/ATTACH]

My scottish.
                      The exhaust system is the stubby one off of a Sprite. The bike is a 24TA by the way, not the later TES.
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 21/03/2016, 10:14 PM.

Comment

John
                        Thank you. Always good to get an expert view. The exhaust looks home fabricated but I shall do some digging about the sprite thanks.
                        Charlie

Comment

Hi John,
                          Help me out here....frame numbet 59/1534, villiers31A engine which is shown in colin's book as 24 TAS . I cant see a 24 TA mentioned. How do I find more out about the model you say it is please?
                          Regards
                          Charlie

Comment

Details of the model should be in Colin's book but as you say apparently not, The 'S' designates SPECIAL. I think the Carrick & Walker Greeves book mentions differences. if you want to know the dispatch record for your particular bike you need to send a frame number rubbing & SAE to Pete Smith (address in LL) Best I can personally do I am afraid
                            Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/03/2016, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Ok will do. Thanks for that

Comment

Working...
                              X