1954 Greeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
    Here are the pics of the bike that Terry has supplied via email (he cant post them himself as he is not a member)
    It does look to me like a genuine 20D & the one that the old buff log book refers to. Some blighter (I could use stronger words) has cashed in the original reg (649 ATW & re registered it as 293 XUR. Obviously handlebars are wrong & its got a nasty dent in the tank. Over to you Stuart.

Here are the DVLA details

Registration number: 293 XUR
    Untaxed Tax due: 01 March 2010
    MOT Exempt
    Vehicle make GREEVES
    Date of first registration 14 September 1954
    Year of manufacture 1954
    Cylinder capacity (cc) 197cc
    CO₂Emissions Not available
    Fuel type PETROL
    Vehicle status Not taxed
    Vehicle colour NOT STATED
    Vehicle type approval Not available
    Wheelplan 2 WHEEL
    Its a real rare early Greeves that shouldn't be restored just cleaned.There aren't many,if any,original early Greeves in existence.Nobody can say that its the wrong Moorland Blue colour !!!!!!!!!!!!. I have a restored (not by me) 1954 25D and 2 1956 20D,s. PLEASE DONT RESTORE IT

Comment

Ouch! That'll teach me to press "Submit Reply" without thinking through all the possible permutations. I actually agree about not destroying the originality of the bike, and loosely said "restore" when I meant "recommission".

I was taking the same approach with my 1930 Scott; sadly I've had to repaint the tank because it had to go back to bare metal for repair.

I think I'll go and sit on the naughty step...
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

May I add my two penn'orth to this please? Terry T: PLEASE don't restore it!!! There are far too many shinier-than-ever-came-out-of-the-factory bikes out there. Don't ruin it; as someone once said, 'it's only original once'...

Re the pic of the headstock; might some of the marks be those of being held in a vice at some time? Just wondering.

Re-commission it and RIDE it!

Comment

Terry.T
          How are you getting on with the 20D, looking at the DVLA web site its not taxed for the road yet

Comment

1954 Greeves

I would like to agree with Andy and others " DON'T" restore it do basic maintenance and ride and enjoy. If you show it you will get far more attention than all the spit polish brigade it's taken 70 years to create that patena!!!!

Comment

Looks like the 20D was restored and then for sale on Facebook Market Place by Thomas Moye for ?2500. a year ago (2022) Not sure it sold as last V5c issued Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-09 22.30.17.png
Views:	88
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	96029 19/8/21

Comment

Working...
              X