1954 Greeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954 Greeves

I intend to purchases Greeves 1954 197cc 4 Speed Roadster and I have not been able to get any information on this bike,did It have matching numbers, is it a worth while bike to restored etc. Any advise would be welcomed before I make this purchase.
    Thank-you.
    TerryT

Would be a 20D I expect, vary rare bike & definitely worth restoration. What is the frame number?

Comment

Matching numbers means matching with those in the paperwork (registration document, etc.) Terry.
      Does it have any original/official documentation?
      Notwithstanding, I agree with John W. Almost certainly a bike worth restoring.
      Last edited by johnrunnacles; 23/08/2015, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Buyer beware

Terry, with reference the frame number (4116/D) & engine number (900A2347) you emailed me they seem to tie up with those on this old buff logbook being offered for sale on eBay earlier this year http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1954-Greev...item20f83efeed
        Very suspicious & looks like someone has cloned a bike to suit the log book
        If the registration number is indeed 649 ATW that would confirm it
        649 ATW is now on a Saab 9-5 2.3t Edition Auto (Estate) so the old log book is of no use to recover the number. Of course it could be the 'real' bike with another 'age related' registration number, but then it wont have 'matching numbers'
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/08/2015, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry.T View Post
          I intend to purchases Greeves 1954 197cc 4 Speed Roadster and I have not been able to get any information on this bike,did It have matching numbers, is it a worth while bike to restored etc. Any advise would be welcomed before I make this purchase.
          Thank-you.
          TerryT
          Post some pictures and somebody should be able to identify it for you

Comment

PIcs of 20D 4116/D

Here are the pics of the bike that Terry has supplied via email (he cant post them himself as he is not a member)
            It does look to me like a genuine 20D & the one that the old buff log book refers to. Some blighter (I could use stronger words) has cashed in the original reg (649 ATW & re registered it as 293 XUR. Obviously handlebars are wrong & its got a nasty dent in the tank. Over to you Stuart.

Here are the DVLA details

Registration number: 293 XUR
            Untaxed Tax due: 01 March 2010
            MOT Exempt
            Vehicle make GREEVES
            Date of first registration 14 September 1954
            Year of manufacture 1954
            Cylinder capacity (cc) 197cc
            CO₂Emissions Not available
            Fuel type PETROL
            Vehicle status Not taxed
            Vehicle colour NOT STATED
            Vehicle type approval Not available
            Wheelplan 2 WHEEL
            Attached Files
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 25/08/2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

20d

Looking at the frame number, the finish under the numbers looks suspiciously smooth. And are they file marks below the stamped number???. I wonder!!

MikeV

Comment

If the reg. number's gone does it really matter? The bike is what it is, a 1954 20D roadster. Not really any doubt about that, surely. Put it on an age-related plate, restore it and enjoy!
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                  If the reg. number's gone does it really matter? The bike is what it is, a 1954 20D roadster. Not really any doubt about that, surely. Put it on an age-related plate, restore it and enjoy!
                  Already has an age related No. Colin 293 XUR. In fact it wont look too bad as the original was also a reversed series 649 ATW. (an Essex mark) A rear plate with original number could always be attached with Bluetack for showing. & permanently fixed ones to front mudguard (as original), front number plates are no longer a required by law so that should not be a problem.
                  Would be nice to get the old log book back though.

Comment

Why restore it? It looks like a proper old bike, which could be re-commissioned and used in oily rag condition. Some of the restored ones look shinier than ever they did when new, with owners afraid to, or just not wanting to, use them, just trailering them to shows. It will also suck up a fair bit of dosh to restore, when it coud be put into use with minimal expense.

Depends what you want, I suppose.

A nice little bike for VMCC and 2-stroke outings.

Comment

I agree with Ian

It's a lovely genuine looking bike to me..

I think it would be a shame to restore it..

As to the frame number, looks typical to me, the shiny bit under the number comes from the clutch cable, most of my Greeves rub there..

The reg number would have been a bonus but it won't affect the way it rides will it, I'd rather have a nice original bike with an age related number than a original number bitsa....

Scott

Comment

Well said, Scotty. Couldn't agree more. The photos certainly put a different perspective on it. Very little restoration required, I'd say.
                        Congratulations, Terry, on a great find! Perhaps bring it to the next GRA AGM for us all to enjoy?

Comment

20d

Ironically this has turned up in Suffolk having been in the Norfolk Motorcycle Museum at North Walsham at one time. I know of one other 20D in same area frame number 413D (the 13th built) which is I believe a one owner bike. The owner, not a GRA member, does not want to sell it, so dont ask. It must be the earliest 'genuine' Greeves roadster in existence.

Comment

20d

i bought at stafford this year 1954 greeves frame number 476D

Comment

So thats 4 known 1954 20D's. (Stuart Baskill has one) Any chance you can post some pics Spike?

Comment

Working...
                              X